Round 16 (PL) - Norths vs. Manly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Round 16 (PL) - Norths vs. Manly Reply with quote

North Sydney Premier League v Manly
at Brookvale Oval
Sunday June 25 at 12.45pm

1. John Russell
2. Anthony Beare
3. Blayden Baird
4. Filinga Filiga
5. Andrew Moodie
6. Daniel Russell (c)
7. James Maloney
8. Aaron Trinder
9. Ben Ellis
10. Eddie Sua
11. Chris Saab
12. Scott Perrin
13. Karl Johnson

14. Ryan Russell
15. Bede Tuohy
16. Luke Fatnowna
17. Brad Domek
20. Saia Makisi
21. Brad Barrett

- It has been reported that Billy Slater will be playing. I imagine that the two players who drop from the Storm's extended bench will also play. And Bartlett and Shortland will probably also play.

- Blayden Baird has been promoted from Jersey Flegg. He played with the Central Coast Rip last year - i wonder if he is the first player to progress from the Rip to PL?
Bear06
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would Slater go?? I mean if he is a fullback then John would be out, but he played brilliantly last week which would then move him to wing, which would put Anthony and Andrew out. Would he be a starter or would he be interchange???
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear06 wrote:
Where would Slater go?? I mean if he is a fullback then John would be out, but he played brilliantly last week which would then move him to wing, which would put Anthony and Andrew out. Would he be a starter or would he be interchange???

I think Slater will play fullback and John Russell may play on the wing in place of one of the two wingers.
djmac
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much question that Slater wouldn't play at fullback. I hope. Razz
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a terrible performance by the Bears.

John Russell, Anthony Beare, Scott Perrin, Luke Fatnowna and Brad Domek didnít play. Billy Slater played fullback, Ryan Shortland in the centres with Filiga moving to the wing, Brad Barrett started at prop with Trinder going to the bench, Matthew Bartlett was in the second row.

The Sea Eagles scored 5 tries in the first half to lead 26-nil at halftime.

In the second half they scored another 5 tries. The Bears scored the second last try of the match when Chris Saab offloaded to Shortland who sprinted down the sideline and passed back Saab who scored. This was when Manly were down to 12 men after a player was sent off for a lifting tackle. The final score was 54-4.

I thought Slater played pretty poorly.
Bear06
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we played absolutely disgraceful. I think there was a few players there that tried their best but it just wasnt good enough. By the looks on some of the faces of the Bears I dont think there was anyone that really cared about their position. They just didnt bother trying.

Im just wondering whether they will actually win a game from now on.

Im absolutely disgusted with their performance!
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a very disappointing performance. The team is really missing the play of Ben Cross who has been playing for Melbourne. We seem to lack the authority up the middle of the ruck.

It is going to take an immense effort to turn things around. I'm just not confident that it is going to happen any time soon.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girvie wrote:
I thought Slater played pretty poorly.

The ABC Radio "Grandstand" program was being broadcast from Brookvale ahead of the Manly-Brisbane NRL game and they were giving regular score updates. They discussed whether or not Slater had done enough to get an Origin jersey, and the answer was an emphatic "no". They said that it wasn't entirely his fault playing in a team that conceded over fifty points, but they said that he missed a few tackles he should have got and was responsible for one Manly try when he should have cleaned up the ball in-goal, but instead took a wild swinging kick at it, missed, leaving the ball sitting there for the Manly attacker to dive on.

It was only five rounds ago that we had a 10-all draw against Manly at Brookvale. I know that Manly side was weakened by players having promoted to NRL to cover State of Origin selections, but it's a woeful turnaround for the Bears.

I had planned to be in Sydney for the game, but had to stay in Canberra. I won't say I'm glad I didn't go as I always love to get to the games, but the result does soften things a little bit.
Big-Steve
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personnally I think Slater did well to stop a number of tries. It could have been more like 60 or 70 without him IMHO. He was put into difficult positions by our players not being up to the task.
Big-Steve
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos are up of Billy Slater -

http://www.northsydneybears.com.au/Photos/Premier%20League/20060625r16vmanly/20060625r16vmanly.htm
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears put Billy to work

David Rowlands

27Jun06

BILLY Slater's return to football was all about getting plenty of work under his belt.

Thanks to a tackle-shy North Sydney side, that objective was satisfied.

Following back to back suspensions that saw him play just 25 minutes in the previous 10 weeks, Slater was sent back to Premier League for Sunday's derby against Manly.

However his first and possibly last appearance in the red and black was memorable for all the wrong reasons, as the Sea Eagles inflicted a 54-4 hiding on their hapless neighbours.

One can only wonder about how bad that final scoreline might have appeared, had it not been for the Melbourne Storm dynamo, although he also proved he was human. Wearing the number 19 jersey and playing fullback, Slater came up with an embarrassing blunder just after halftime when he took an airswing at a ball close to his deadball line.

Such a cheap Manly try was the last thing that Norths needed after confronting a halftime deficit of 26-0.

But on the day's ledger, Slater came out well in front.

Coach Josh White estimated that the former Queensland State of Origin star saved a staggering seven tries.

It was always going to be a no-win situation for Slater, who was expected to produce magic tricks in reserve grade a level he is clearly far too good for even allowing for his rustiness and a preparation that was less than ideal.

After originally being named in the Norths line-up early last week, Slater withdrew to be on stand-by for Melbourne's match with the Bulldogs on Friday night.

After not being required for the NRL game, White was told on Saturday morning that Slater would be free to play for the Bears, who are Melbourne's feeder club.

He then flew to Sydney on Sunday morning and went straight from the airport to Brookvale Oval, where he met his new team-mates for the first time after missing a scheduled training session with the Bears on Friday night.

``He had a great attitude I couldn't ask any more of him,'' White said.

Apart from being pleased with the debut displays of recent acquisitions Brad Barrett and Siai Makisi, White was ``filthy'' on the Bears' capitulation against a Manly side they had drawn 14-14 with just over a month ago.

``I know exactly how (Sydney Roosters coach) Ricky Stuart feels when he was talking about having passengers out there,'' he said.

``We've got five or six blokes putting their hand up and having a dig, but the rest are letting the side down and their attitudes simply aren't good enough.''

Norths host fifth-placed St George Illawarra on Saturday afternoon.

Billy Slater was given plenty of work by the tackle-shy Bears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: