Old team photos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodiaks
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Old team photos Reply with quote

This is a challenge but I am on the crusade to locate bears photos of teams from 1908. I would like to make copies of the 1st grade teams and as Souths did we would like to finally get them on show at our club. Now I have already lined it up with Melba studios who took our team photos from 1919 . I think this is a project that which will take some time and possibly years to achieve. Flo and the norths club under Brent are aware of this project and what we hope to achieve. To make it easy for all I will probably do them in batch of 10s so when 10 are located then will be copied and sent back to the owners. Safe and sound. I have been looking into this for some time and yesterday I met a family who were flying down from Brisbane for Xmas with family. They bought with them 5 stunning original team photos from 1919 to 1925 yes the photos are getting old and fragile and this is why our heritage will have to be kept. As people may know Melba studios suffered a terrible fire recently and a lot of works are now gone.so this is a way of building up their libraryaldo which they are happy to do. So if you have any old team photos from your families or ancestors who played for the red and blacks since 1908 and would like them kept for prosperity then most know who I am or just send a message To me through thus MB site.so if there are any of those old team photos in a chest or draws somewhere Snd would like yo help out then font hesitate yo get in touch and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.the club has got quite a number and we have some in storage but we don't have all of them but hopefully we can locate all of these amazing photos if our club somewhere through all our bears families. Thanks guys.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole bunch of big league posters between about 1980 and 1999
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt I'm trying to locate the team photos that were taken each year by the club. But nice to know you have those.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoping to have some more succes on some team photos of the 20s..have found descendents of E Hogan who played in 4 seasons for the Norths team in 25 to 28, so hopefully they might have some old team photos lying around of the 20s team which can be copied by Melba studios as well.. I'm hoping they have the 28 team the semi finalists..Melba will give the photos a new lease of life..
just a reminder if anyone would help us on the quest don't hesitate to get in touch..
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the 1922 team photo, not an original but a very good reproduction. It's framed and mounted. In the bottom left corner of the white mounting is a logo "Creative Framing Services" and in the bottom right "Photograph by the Melba Studios".

The people in the photo are listed (all but one) although some people have their surnames spelt incorrectly and George Green is listed as "E. GREEN". Other typos relate to Jack Baker (BARKER), Cec Blinkhorn (BLICKHORN) and W. Hancock (HANDCOCK).

I suspect that the player who appears in the photo but who is not listed is Jim Pye who played all 17 games. Three others played in first grade that season, but didn't play many games so probably wouldn't have made the team photo (unless they were in the team at the end): D. (John "Dinny") Campbell (x1), V. Edwards (x1) and E. (Ted) Taplin (x4).

(Acknowledgement - stats from David Middleton's compliation at the back of Andrew Moore's "The Mighty Bears" and from the Encyclopedia of RL Players.)

The listing - typos and all - reads:

North Sydney District Rugby League Club
Premiers 1922

Back Row: J. DARGAN (Dist. Hon. Secretary), W. FAULL (Reserve Grade Hon. Secretary), L. SCHOFIELD (Hon. Treas.), F.F. COWDROY (Patron), A.A. RITCHIE (Pres.), C. McKIVATT (Coach & Selector), F. HUMFRESS (Selector)

First Row: W. SWEETMAN (Trainer), F. RULE, J.C. IVES, J. BARKER, C. BLICKHORN, S. LUCAR (Trainer) [+ one person who isn't listed]

Seated: W. HANDCOCK, C. McGRATH, A. FAULL, D. HODGINS, D. THOMPSON (Capt.), H. HORDER (Vice Capt.), R. FARNELL, E. GREEN, H. PETERS

Sitting On The Ground: H. WATERHOUSE, N. PROCTOR
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes saw that the other day .great mounting job but to many mistakes this is when we néed to have quality control. Yes it's Jim pye Is the name missing he is standing in between jack Ives and Baker. George greens first name is Edward. That's why for the 21 commrotive jeresy we are doing I made sure all names and jersey numbers correct. You need people who live their club to make sure the info is right. Just like souths have done.I will mention the errors of the 22 when I go in to see them. They are closed until the end of Jan though. On the 21 jersey we have green down as Edward George Green.Also Mckivat is actually with 1 T not 2 this is on his birth rego.Frank Humfress is the selector brother to Syd.

Last edited by Kodiaks on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
cnbhs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stanton library's online database has 13 North Sydney RL photos. The few junior teams are some of the best and includes future grade players like Paul Tranquille [of East St. Leonards Football Club] and Jack Courtney.

http://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/www/html/2102-heritage-databases.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: