North Sydney Bears Quiz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Where did the Canberra Raiders play a trial match against North Sydney in 1987?"

Jus looked up it up in the SMH archive. The trial was played on Feb 21 at Bruce Stadium. Canberra won 24-10.

For old time Bears supporters it was in this trial game that Gavin Jones injured his knee cruciate ligament and was out for the season, following on from his broken arm in the last game of 1986.

In my opinion he was never the same footballer after that knee injury.
Bearhead
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which North Sydney international played his first match in Bears colours at Dapto Greyhound track in a trial against Illawarra in 1986?

In fact I think several players whom went on to be big stars for Norths started in this trial....including the aforementioned big fella whom broke his leg in the Canberra trial 1987.

Speaking of Canberra - We playes them on a Sat night at Seiffert in 85,6 or 87 when we were down I think 10-0 at HT. we ended up winning that match, with a Norths stalwart scoring a great brace......who was he?
woodenspoon
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearhead wrote:
Which North Sydney international played his first match in Bears colours at Dapto Greyhound track in a trial against Illawarra in 1986?

In fact I think several players whom went on to be big stars for Norths started in this trial....including the aforementioned big fella whom broke his leg in the Canberra trial 1987.

Speaking of Canberra - We playes them on a Sat night at Seiffert in 85,6 or 87 when we were down I think 10-0 at HT. we ended up winning that match, with a Norths stalwart scoring a great brace......who was he?

For the first part ie Dapto trial, I'd say Les Kiss.
Bearhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Wooden spoon.

I can remember that trial because we signed so many players that season and remember the pre season they had these new players down at Lemon Grove in Chatswood signing autographs etc. No one knew most of them.

That 86 recruitment drive paved the way for the halcyon days of the early 90's. A great foundation was built, and Norths became a club players really wanted to come to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: