Norths Vs Newtown Big Brawl - Amco Cup?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearhead
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodenspoon wrote:

Reminded me of a great chat I once had with Brian Norton another totally approachable and straightforward man.

Chicka Norton was the main man whom completely and utterly galvanised my love of the Bears.

When you are a bright eyed youngster you obviously looked up to the players in awe. I remember when Chicka was coaching Norths. After most games a big bunch of us whom sat under the Fig tree used to go back to the Leaguesy for dinner in the downstairs bar. The players always used to come back and in those days it was part and parcel to get on the squirt after a match.

They used to announce the player of the match in each grade each week. Chicka used to get up there and without fail used to make a real point of thanking the fans, and encouraging the players to say Gday.

Quite often there would be opposition players, officials etc there too.

Chicka never ever failed to come over and sit down with the supporters and chat to us. What did we think, who played well, the love of the Bears.......he was and is a true Norths supporter and I think he could relate to how we feel. When you are a kid growing up, ana a first grade coach wants to talk to you, it just didn't get any better. It was such a highlight each week and the mark of a man whom I couldn't speak highly enough.

It's a shame that kind of personal contact is gone in so many ways (Not Chops though - he still loves a beer and banter with the mere mortals from the hill) but Chicka was and is a thorough gentlemen. Legend!
malabi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bearhead, I can remember days when players such as John Macarthur, David Alexander, Kerry Boustead, Less Kiss, Paul Conlon and Josh Stuart all worked at the Leagues Club and each one of them was a magnificent ambassodor for the Bears. Having John Gray teach at my school and Stan Jurd working for the Council in St Leonards Park (with his nudie girl magazines) years earlier surrounded me with Bears and I loved it.

Those days are gone but the memories remain forever. I too used to go to the old Kamaraigal Room after the home games and mingle with Bears and opposition players. I have a burning memory of Steve Mortimer hitting up some of our cheergirls.

Saturday afternoon footy was spent watching games in the old Sports Bar (as it was) downstairs with my Dad and his mates.
angrybear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those days are over true malabi but the memories are golden. we'd make the old boy detour past the leagues club en route to school in cremorne every morning just so we could see the big grizzly, and that servo was it in artarmon that always had the signage up for next home game? matches at nso - my old man somehow managed to get us down in the dressing rooms once or twice, the reek of dencorub is seared in my nostrils and I'll never forget mark graham strapping up those brittle shoulders.

my brother and i were at a function recently and as some kind of icebreaking rubbish folk were asked to name a childhood hero. we simultaneously barked MG. noone had any idea who we were talking about. We double-teamed them with a 15 minute diatribe on the lanky champion - they wish they'd never asked!
Bearhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stuff guys. It is amazing what parts of your childhood and youth bring back such good memories. I guess that's why in some ways it pains me to see matches like Chooseday night footie as it makes you think in a sad sort of way given their demise ' gee they were good days'. A whole bunch of us were up at the Oaks Hotel on Sunday, watching the League and inevitably the talk will turn to the 'good old days' at Bear Park which were the late 80's early 90's for our group.

Back to those mid 80's.......I remember the good old disco downstairs, and getting the Bears players full as boots out there trying to dance.....

Malabi - yes Stan Jurd doing the council stuff,we always kept our eyes peeled for big Donny and the boys in blue, and those blokes working at the Leaguesy as you said. If you went down there on a random night or day, you always kept a look out for one of the players, and hoped to grab a chat.

As for old Chicka - gee it gave me great pleasure to be able to introduce my 4yo boy (at the time) to him when I bumped into him one time in Neutral Bay about 12-18 months ago. When he heard my lad say 'Go the Bears' he loved it. I felt so proud. I promised him the passion wouldn't die. It hasn't.
malabi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a story relating to the Final of the Amco Cup

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=g59WAAAAIBAJ&sjid=H-cDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1357,5929133

Unfortunately, the SMH online archives has a small gap the day after the big brawl on Wednesday 12 May 1976.

I know that Kodiaks enjoys rummaging through the archives at the State Library, keep that date in mind when you are next searching for Bears information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: