John Olive Leaves South Sydney Rabbitohs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: John Olive Leaves South Sydney Rabbitohs Reply with quote

www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/south-sydney-rabbitohs/john-olive-leaves-south-sydney-rabbitohs-immediately-while-brisbane-broncos-snare-tevita-pangai-for-2016-20160227-gn57ft
John Olive Leaves South Sydney Rabbitohs, Brisbane Broncos Snare Tevita Pangai
Michael Carayannis
Rugby League Writer
February 27, 2016 - 8:00PM

Rabbitohs using early finals exit for motivation

South Sydney forward John Sutton says while the club is still hurting from their quick finals exit in 2015, they are using that pain to drive them a step higher in 2016.

The NRL's pre-season merry-go-round continues as Queensland clubs secure two of arguably the most-talented youngsters in the game in John Olive and Tevita Pangai.

Olive will join the Titans as early as Monday after being granted an immediate release from South Sydney and will add some much-needed depth to the Gold Coast's outside backs. He follows former Rabbitohs teammate Chris McQueen in an off-season move to the Titans while the Rabbitohs also released Dylan Walker to Manly.

Pangai's move to Brisbane has been fast-tracked and he is expected to join the Broncos for training early this week.

Olive and Pangai had already signed two-year deals with the Titans and Broncos respectively from 2017, but those deals have been extended to three years after their releases.

Olive is rated one of the best young outside backs in the NRL after starring in the under-20s competition. The Kingsgrove Colts junior had a taste of first grade last year, playing one game, and he started on the wing for South Sydney in the annual Charity Shield game earlier this month.

At just 19, Olive is still eligible for the under-20s competition. He represented NSW under-20s last year, despite being a year young and played for the Australian Schoolboys in 2014.

The Titans have been keen to bolster their outside back depth and tried to sign Olive's former South Sydney teammate Bryson Goodwin, only for the Rabbitohs to reject his request for a release. Olive will now put pressure on the likes of David Mead and Anthony Don for a starting wing spot.

While Goodwin, Greg Inglis and Alex Johnston are guaranteed starting spots in the Rabbitohs outside backs, Hymel Hunt, Kirisome Auva'a, Aaron Gray, Michael Oldfield and Dane Nielsen are competing for the other two spots.

Meanwhile, the early addition of back-rower Joseph Tapine from Newcastle to Canberra has allowed the Raiders to release Pangai a season early to Brisbane.

Tapine – who had also signed for Canberra for 2017 – was released last week by the Knights after a stand-off to join the Raiders immediately.

Pangai has already been compared to former Raiders teammates Josh Papalii.

The back-rower, who turned 20 earlier this month, has had a decorated junior career. He represented the Junior Kangaroos for two years and played for NSW in the under-15s and under-18s.

Tapine signed a four-year deal with the Raiders.

"It was about being patient and just waiting," Tapine said recently. "I think it was dealt with good and I'm happy with the result.

"It's definitely hard leaving the boys, the friends you make there. I'm just looking forward to footy and getting to know the boys and the structure here."

Olive, Pangai and Tapine join a host of players including Walker, McQueen, Michael Jennings, Will Hopoate, James Roberts, Pauli Pauli, Peta Hiku, Tim Lafai and James Gavet to make a switch deep into pre-season training.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats me why you would keep Goodwin and let Olive go.
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/content/rabbitohs/club/news/2016/03/01/john_olive_released_.html
John Olive Released From Final Year of His Contract
Member First
Wed 2nd March, 07:00AM

Media Release

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have confirmed that player John Olive has been released from the final year of his playing contract with the Rabbitohs today, to take up an offer at another NRL Club.

Olive played one first grade game for the Rabbitohs, making his first grade debut in round 14 against the Tigers last year.

The Rabbitohs wish John all the best for the future.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like John will be starting for the Titans tomorrow

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-rush-recruit-john-olive-into-round-one-team/news-story/79623a1d6a1fad57560a783a36e49517
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwbea wrote:
Beats me why you would keep Goodwin and let Olive go.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

As I believe Goodwin is miles ahead of Olive currently.

Im assuming Olive got offered bigger $$$ at GC than what Souths were willing to offer at this stage. Olive was given a chance last year but wasnt ready so back to RG. He was given a chance to prove his worthiness of a starting spot during the pre-season and trials and must've been clear enough that he still wasnt ahead of the other contenders.

He's signed to GC already for 2017 so why not give him a blessing to take a shot at FG up there rather than in RG here for 2016 when he's just gonna move on anyway?

Seems the club did right for all parties involved to me.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about letting him go in the beginning for 2017.

John Olive is 19.

Bryson Goodwin turns 31 this year.
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwbea wrote:
I'm talking about letting him go in the beginning for 2017.

John Olive is 19.

Bryson Goodwin turns 31 this year.

Sure.

Im guessing its $$$. But my guess is as good as yours. Balancing current cap plus what he offered at the time i reckon.

I agree/understand what you say 19/20vs 30/31. Bad timing?

I guess only time will tell whether it was a good decision or not? There have been how many promising youngsters that couldve been the next best thing but weren't.

Also currently Souths outside backs stock is pretty solid.

AJ, AGray, Goodwin, Hunt, Somi. Add Oldfield, Hughes, Nielsen, etc

But yeh i think it was probably $$$. Which leads me to question other comments on it being a slap in the face for Norths Juniors to play elsewhere than North Sydney Bears
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.nrl.com/olive-vows-to-back-his-ability/tabid/10874/newsid/93660/default.aspx
Olive Vows To Back His Ability
By Tony Webeck‌, Chief Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com
Sat 12 Mar, 2016

Nothing can really prepare you for an NRL debut but Titans recruit John Olive said the greatest lesson he took was a need to back his own ability.

Rushed into the Titans team last Sunday less than a week after relocating from the Rabbitohs, Olive had a strong carry in the Titans' first set of the game and then scored the game's opening try when a kick from flatmate Ashley Taylor fell fortuitously into his path on the left wing inside the first 15 minutes.

All told he made 54 metres from eight carries along with two tackle busts after taking a different approach into his second game in the NRL.

Olive made his debut for the Rabbitohs at 18 years of age in Round 14 last season but ahead of Sunday's clash with the Storm in Melbourne admitted that the occasion got the better of him.

"I think I went OK but I wish I could go back," Olive said of his NRL debut. "I'd probably just be a bit more confident in my ability and get more involved.

"That's what I tried to take into my first grade debut with the Titans last week.

"I just settled in real well with the boys and they've been real helpful in helping me with the calls.

"I guess that brings confidence to me and my game.

"I was very nervous but the boys made me feel welcome through the week and we got the win and put in a good performance."

Olive arrived on the Gold Coast last Monday a year earlier than originally expected, his move north motivated by a desire to secure a regular position in an NRL team.

Even the Endeavour Sports High product didn't imagine his first game for his new club would come soon with coach Neil Henry giving little away until later in the week.

"He told me I was playing Q Cup and then a day or two before the game he quietly told me that I was playing. I was shocked, just trying to get my mind around it," said Olive, who played alongside Brian Kelly for the New South Wales under-20s team last year.

"I signed [with the Titans] last year but I had one more year on my contract so I was just trying to focus on being a Bunny but luckily I got a release and now I'm just trying to focus on playing good for the Titans.

"I was just focusing on playing for the Rabbitohs but fortunately something came up and Souths and the Titans came to an agreement and I was happy enough to come up.

"A bit of a change and an opportunity as well to play first grade [was the reason for the move]. Because I'm at such a young age I'm just trying to get as much first grade under my belt as I can."

If William Zillman is cleared to return from a calf injury this weekend Olive could have to make way for David Mead on the left wing but it won't be the first time he has been overlooked for selection.

As a teenager Olive was cut from St George's under-16s Harold Matthews squad before being picked up by North Sydney, where he came to the attention of the coaching staff at South Sydney.

"I was just trying to make a team and unfortunately I didn't make it but I'm thankful for North Sydney Bears who picked me up," said the 2014 Australian Schoolboys representative.

"I repaid them by staying with them for three seasons and then lucky enough I got picked up by Souths from there."
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/RLW_Mole/status/728366441301352450
The Mole ‏@RLW_Mole
Poor @GCTitans can't take a trick with new signing John Olive suffering a serious shoulder injury - in training!
9:31 AM - 6 May 2016
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From John Olive:

Surgery went well. Quick shout out to the the junior kangaroos bring it home boys #aussiepride
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: