How Jason Apps Determination To Walk Again Put ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: How Jason Apps Determination To Walk Again Put ... Reply with quote

Article about Jason Apps related to former Norths & Souths player from 2009 - 2011, Deon Apps

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/rabbitohs/how-jason-apps-determination-to-walk-again-put-south-sydneys-struggles-in-perspective/news-story/b9677f65f69fba5a8b827a44614b6dd0
How Jason Apps Determination To Walk Again Put South Sydney's Struggles In Perspective
Matt Logue,
The Daily Telegraph
Quote:
July 29, 2016

BATTLING inside South Sydney's bubble, Adam Reynolds thought he was doing it tough this season.

From repeated injury setbacks to the Rabbitohs' stunning slide down the ladder, Reynolds felt like 2016 was a never-ending nightmare.

That's until he met Jason Apps in Origin camp earlier this month.

Apps, 20, became a quadriplegic after hurting himself in a snowboard accident in Canada in April.

After dislocating his C4 and C5 vertebrae, he is now confined to a wheelchair and spends his days in rehabilitation in a bid to walk again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIYqNzIDIal/

Suddenly, Reynolds' worries at the Rabbitohs seem insignificant to Apps' fight against the odds.

It's a reality that certainly hasn't been lost on the South Sydney halfback.

"Seeing Jason makes you grateful for what you've got — because you never know what can happen in life," Reynolds told The Saturday Telegraph.

"You go through a lot of highs and lows in rugby league, but there are a lot of people in life going through some low times.

"That's one thing I've got out of Jason's story.

"It's tough what he is going through, but he is happy and pushing forward.

"Seeing how positive Jason is in his rehab and what he is going through definitely inspires you and makes you want to get better as a person."

Reynolds gained a greater appreciation for Apps when he visited him in hospital this week.

Flanked by his South Sydney teammates, the No.7 took time out to sit with Jason and talk about his inspirational tale.

"I thoroughly enjoyed it as well," he said about Apps, who is related to former Rabbitoh Deon Apps and is good mates with ex-Bunny Tom Hughes.

"Despite what's happened, Jason was still telling jokes and mucking about.

"You can tell he has got a great personality, plus the support behind him is amazing as well.

"Whether it is his family or his friends, he has always got stories to tell.

"I wish Jason all the best and if I can get out and see him a few more times I will.

"He definitely puts a smile on my face and I love seeing him around."

Veteran Souths forward John Sutton was equally impressed by Apps and his resolve to return to a normal existence again.

Like Reynolds, Sutton has also endured a season plagued by injury and poor results.

As he discovered during his hospital visit though, these concerns aren't important in the grand scheme of life.

"You meet all these people that can't walk and they are just battling way — it definitely makes you realise how good you've got it," Sutton admitted.

"I get to play rugby league for my job and I've been doing it ever since I was five.

"I guess sometimes you take it for granted. You go to the hospital and you see these wonderful people who may not be able to walk again.

"It does put life into perspective."

Despite the serious nature of his injuries, Apps is determined to walk again.

One week ago he could only complete 50 spins on an exercise bike with assistance.

Today Apps is doing 600 spins unassisted.

This fight has left an indelible impact on Reynolds and his Rabbitohs' teammates.

"Jason is staying positive and he believes he is going to make a successful comeback, which is great," he beamed.

"He is determined to get that goal and I think that's a great example for anyone out there that sets goals.

"If you work hard enough you can achieve them."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: