FAVOURITE GAMES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northy
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: FAVOURITE GAMES Reply with quote

Here is a list of my Top 10 favourite Norths wins.

1. Norths 28 Manly 16 (Major Preliminary Semi final 1991). This was the first time in my lifetime that we won a semi-final. It will always have a special place in my heart.

2. Norths 15 Brisbane 14 (Minor Semi-final 1994) . All I can say about this match is...BRISBANE CAN"T PLAY!!!

3. Norths 21 Brisbane 16 (Semi Final 1996) - BRISBANE STILL CAN'T PLAY!!!

4. Norths 31 Manly 12 (1982). The score says it all.

5. Norths 41 Manly 8 (1997). What a day! What a performance from Greg Florimo and what a try off Flo's overhead bomb!

6. Norths 17 Canterbury 16 (1993). A fantastic fightback.

7. Norths 20 Canberra 12 (1988). Down 10-0 at halftime in Canberra in a night game. Incredible second half. I remember listening to this on ABC Radio in my room at St Albert's College in the University of New England.

8. Norths 22 Penrith 18 (1986). This was the first time I attended a Norths match. I travelled by train from my hometown of Nowra on the South Coast of NSW. I was in Year 12 at the time.

9. Norths 32 Manly 30 (1987). The only time I went to Brookvale. I was living at Balgowlah not far from Brookvale. Manly led 14-0 then 20-12 at half-time. In the second half they led 30-20 with less than 10 minutes to go. Mark Cannon scored the winning try seconds from fulltime when he grubber-kicked into the in goal area and beat Dale Shearer to the ball. You could have heard a pin drop from the Manly crowd. The walk home wearing my jumper was one I'll never forget.

10. Norths 26 St George 23 (1987). At one stage Saints led 23-2 in the first half. When the Saints fullback Bronco Djura scored what was to be Saints' last try under the post to make the score 21-2, a Saints supporter who was sitting next to me said, "Well, looks like that's it for you today." I replied, "No mate, it just makes our comeback even more impressive." Five minutes from fulltime he stood up, tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Good win, mate", and walked away.

SPECIAL MENTIONS

11. Norths 22 Wests 18 (1991). What an incredible game from both sides!

12. Norths 24 Parramatta 14 (Major Qualifying Semi final 1997). How the hell did we win this? Brilliant defence and what about Chris Caruana's overhead pass to Jason Taylor!!!

13. Norths 12 Parramatta 8 (1986). I reckon they are still finding pieces of Ray Price that have emerged from the soil of Parramatta Stadium after the most thunderous hit by Gavin Jones I have EVER seen. I remember seeing Price's body go flying backwards and sprawled out on the ground as though he was a pedestrian struck by a bus or a truck.

14. Norths 42 St George 0 (1996). The perfect wet-weather game by the mudlark North Sydney Bears.

15. Norths 40 Brisbane 20 (1993). The first time Brisbane conceded 40 points or more since they joined the competition in 1988. I was there and watched from the famous Moreton Bay Fig Tree. I remember catching the train from Central to North Sydney. The carriage I hopped onto was full of Brisbane supporters going to the game. They all looked at me wearing my Norths jumper and one of them said, "Sorry about the scoreline." They all laughed at me. After the match I hopped onto the train to Central and, you guessed it, there were the same Brisbane supporters on the carriage looking shell-shocked. They recognised me and I stood there and said nothing...until we reached Central. Before the train terminated, I turned to them and said, "Oh, by the way, I'm glad you're sorry about the scoreline because I'm not not sorry."

Anyway, Grizzlies, love to hear from you regarding your thoughts about my selection and what are the memorable games for you.

SAHCTMB!
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about these?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: