ISP Round 8 v NZ Warriors @ NSO, Sun 23rd Apr, 3:00PM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: ISP Round 8 v NZ Warriors @ NSO, Sun 23rd Apr, 3:00PM Reply with quote

Back in action at NSO this Sunday and a chance to redeem ourselves after last week's performance against Wyong. We take on New Zealand Warriors, as yet undefeated but they dropped a point last weekend against Mounties.

The team list is posted on the NS website (see below). Two players - 8 Robbie Rochow and 11 Tyrell Fuimaono - have also been named on South Sydney's extended four-man bench for its Friday night game against Brisbane. The other two are Cameron Murray and Hymel Hunt.

There are a few positional changes, including Eli Levido to the wing and Sitiveni Moceidreke to fullback (Latrell Robinson isn't included). Adam Doueihi will be halfback - he's been playing for Souths U20s.

There will be a curtain-raiser in the shape of a Ron Massey Cup game between Concord-Burwood-Glebe Wolves and Hills District (both NS feeder clubs). The Wolves team include one player currently contracted to Norths - Jokatama Dokonivalu - as well as a few who have been contracted in the past:

2016 - Riley Travers, Scott Williams
2015 - Jackson Garlick
2013 - Elias Sukkar

The Hills team includes Abbas Miski.

The match preview has an even longer list although I don't recall hearing about the others before now (happy to be corrected on that) - "Bears contracted players Rhys Davies, Riley Travers, Jokatama Dokonivalu, Tom Freebairn, Nathan Leatigaga and Jacob McCudden will feature in the Wolves side. While Jayden Horo, Tom Eisenhuth, Abbas Miski and Chad O'Donnell will feature for the Bulls."

McCudden, O'Donnell and Tom Perrin (Hills) were with Souths U20s last year.

The team lists for the RMC are at http://live.nswrl.com.au/match/1986a31db4a830017/a02345652eb00416a.

North Sydney's game is being broadcast by Steele Sports Radio at www.steelesports.com.au:

www.northsydneybears.com.au/anzac-round-double-header-north-sydney-oval-barney-bea

ANZAC Round Has a Double Header at North Sydney Oval and Barney the Bear

April 18, 2017 by Steve Little

A full day of events has been planned for the North Sydney Bears return to Sunday afternoon at North Sydney Oval.

In Round Eight of the Intrust Super Premiership Norths play the top of the table Warriors.

After the loss last Thursday to the Wyong Roos, Coach Ben Gardiner will look for a base of strong, consistent defensive pressure from his scrum pack.

However with Mason Lino a key playmaker for the Warriors a young Adam Doueihi will start alongside Luke Kelly in the halves.

Adam Doueihi comes to the Bears team via the South Sydney under twenties and is a talented League, Union and Cricket junior who is expected to inject even more spark into the teams’ attack.

Now that the season is in full swing don’t forget to grab your Bears gear in our merchandise store.

At 1:00 pm two of North Sydney’s senior feeder clubs, the Concord-Burwood United Wolves, and the Hills District Bulls face each other in Round Eight of the Ron Massey Cup.

Bears contracted players Rhys Davies, Riley Travers, Jokatama Dokonivalu, Tom Freebairn, Nathan Leatigaga and Jacob McCudden will feature in the Wolves side. While Jayden Horo, Tom Eisenhuth, Abbas Miski and Chad O’Donnell will feature for the Bulls.

An ANZAC service will also take place prior to the main match.

Sunday Schedule:

12:45pm Gates open
1:00pm Ron Massey Cup Round 8 Concord-Burwood United Vs Hills District
3:00pm Intrust Super Premiership Round 8 North Sydney Bears Vs New Zealand Warriors

NSW Rugby League Senior Representative Competition | Intrust Super Premiership Competition [Open Age]
Round Eight | North Sydney Vs New Zealand | North Sydney Oval | 3:00 pm | 23/04/2017

1 Sitiveni Moceidreke
2 Tautalatasi Tasi
3 Dane Nielson
4 Edward Murphy
5 Eli Levido
6 Luke Kelly
7 Adam Doueihi
8 Robbie Rochow
9 Bradley Deitz (C)
10 Dave Tyrrell
11 Tyrell Fuimaono
12 Anthony Cherrington
13 Cheyne Whitelaw

Interchange
14 Toby Rudolf
15 Piki Rogers
16 Brett Greinke
17 Fred Junior Mauala

Coach: Ben Gardiner
siv
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should ask the Warriors to play in a traditional Auckland blue jumper rather than red and black
The Tamworth Bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NSWRL website has a different looking line up as follows:

Sitiveni MOCEIDREKE FB
2 Tautalatasi TASI RW
3 Dane NIELSEN RC
4 Edward MURPHY LC
5 Eli LEVIDO LWG
25 Riley TRAVERS F/E
7 Luke KELLY H/B
8 Robert ROCHOW LPR
9 Bradley DEITZ HK
10 David TYRRELL RPR
11 Tyrell FUIMAONO LSR
12 Anthony CHERRINGTON RSR
13 Cheyne WHITELAW LK
14 Toby Rudolf INT
15 Piki ROGERS INT
16 Brett GREINKE INT
17 Fred MAUALA
The Tamworth Bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And both have Levido as wing? Is that right? Seems strange....and the halves quite different to the official Bears list
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamworth Bear wrote:
And both have Levido as wing? Is that right? Seems strange....and the halves quite different to the official Bears list

Given that Riley Travers is in jersey no. 25, I suspect the NSWRL list was issued later than the one that I cited. The changes aren't that major - Travers has replaced Adam Doueihi and Luke Kelly has moved from 6 till 7.

6 Luke Kelly
25 Riley TRAVERS F/E

7 Adam Doueihi
7 Luke KELLY H/B

I noticed that Eli Levido was on the wing. His kicking game seemed a bit off last week, and he doesn't seem to have cllcked with Kelly, but his general play is sound, so I expect that Ben Gardner wanted to keep him in the squad. I like the way he plays.

Any word on Latrell Robinson? Is he injured?
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douehi did not play for Souths u20s today so could be a possibility for Bears.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

092016 wrote:
Douehi did not play for Souths u20s today so could be a possibility for Bears.

There's a bit of chopping and changing this evening. Apart from a few positional changes, Souths dropped two from the final 17:

2. Braidon Burns
7. Adam Reynolds (who is injured)

The two from the extended bench who played were Cameron Murray and Hymel Hunt which suggests that Robbie Rochow and Tyrell Fuimaono (who were also both named in NS's squad) will play. Maybe we'll get Burns as well.
Bearhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really disappointing loss by the Bears, who despite the Warriors having a lot of first 30 minutes ball, were right in the contest at HT without playing well.

I know Ben Gardner has done a very good job in the last few seasons, but he paid a very heavy price for some appalling positional placement of his players today.

Eli Levido - a half-back - was put on the wing to mark an out and out first grader in Lolohea. He was caught out horribly for the first try, and they clearly did their homework the Warriors, targeting that wing. Why Gardner didn't mark Lolohea with ex State Of origin player Nielsen is anyone's guess. I have a lot of time for Levido, he is no winger. 2nd half saw this change, but the Warriors scored a crucial try rolling it behind Levido who was clearly outpaced.

Adam Douehi - elevated from Souths 20's had a day to forget. He was limited in attack and I think he threw the cut out ball 5m out from the Warriors line, and Lolohea went 95m to score. At 8-8 and the Bears having all the momentum, that was the game changing moment. Douehi's head dropped, his game fell apart, yet Gardner kept him on.

So the coach can take a fair rap for the loss today. Kelly played HB and was listless (again) in attack. we have several sets right on the Warriors line and time and again he put in a ineffective kick. He lacks the creativity and again threw some awful passes. Douehi also went missing in big moments.

I am really disappointed in some of the Souths players - especially ones with raps / reputations on them. Fauimaono for mine doesn't get involved enough. He was moved into the pack to try and get more active, and he isn't worthy of a starting position in my books. Robbie Rochow dropped the ball twice in the first half, and seems a pretty ineffective forward even at this level. Nielsen gifted the Warriors 12 tackles in a row at the end with some really silly play. I thought the Souths guys for the most part were pretty average.

Despite that - there were bright moments and bright efforts. TASI - absolutely outstanding. Again. Rogers, Rudolf, Whitelaw very, very strong. Made the Souths contingent look 2nd rate. Murphy was off the field for a long period, but was good when on. Dietz was industrious.

Moceidrecke - if he plays first grade ahead of Tasi this season, then I am convinced the coaches aren't watching the game. He was very safe in the first half, but he takes on the line with a pathetic level of urgency. He is like a crab, and looks to be putting in minimal effort. He clearly isn't doing that, but when you see how hard Tasi runs it and takes them on, he is definitely deserving of some first grade time soon. He is a weapon.

24-6 isn't a true reflection of how close the teams were. A real positive were the Bears were awful at times, yet remained with the Warriors. They can clearly match it with the big sides in enthusiasm - especially from the bench and when blokes like Murray are playing, but there is a huge issue in the halves. That has really manifested itself recently.

I think Levido needs to be playing 5/8th, keep Kelly at HB for now, and try to limit the damage he inflicts on his own side. Murphy and Tasi in the centres, bring back Miski ffs - best on ground vs Balmain. Modra at the back. Despite his lacklustre taking to the line, he was pretty safe despite one drop.

The pack - gee Rogers / Rudolf and Whitelaw stood up today against a monster pack. They need to start.

Gardner needs to start revving up some of the Souths boys because their impact is negligible.

In the end, always good to get back to Bear Park, pretty good crowd too.

The competition is pretty compact. Wyong still the best team but they fell in vs Newtown yesterday. We need to sort out our halves to be a real threat.
The Tamworth Bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant argue with a lot of your points...especially the great to be back at Bear Park...man that joint is my happy place!

The Levido gamble failed...for mine he goes back to 7 with Moc to 6...i would have Schaumkel at fullback and Miski on wing..

I thought Rochow was our best on ground with Tasi a close second...Nielsen did some goodstuff too...i prefer Tasi in back row probably 13 and smashing the edges Tasi style

Our dee is not the problem its the cohesion in attack...we still well placed in top 4 so heads up bears🐻🐻
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a decent crowd at Bear Park and the ANZAC ceremony before the game was well done.

Agree that we haven't got the balance of the team right yet.

Abbas Miski scored a couple of tries in the Hills Bulls win over Concord Burwood and must be pushing for his place.
Bearhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some poignant stats from last weekend:

Bears 46% of possession vs Warriors 54% (that is a MASSIVE difference)

Bears made 347 tackles vs 275 (again, huge difference)

Cheyne Whitelaw made 66 tackles. In 35 years + following rugby league, I have never seen a figure so high. Awesome work Cheyne!

What a human this bloke is: Whitelaw second most runs - 14. Rudolf 13.

We made 12 errors. Adam Douehi made 3 (or 25%) of these. Douehi did run for a strong 83m.

Moceidreke ran for 129m. I reckon he ran for about 300m because he went sideways so much, but 129m going forward.

We completed 25 of 36 sets. That's pretty good.

Luke Kelly ran for 12m total in the match. Probably 8m of them when he scored. Not good enough.

Shows that it was a good effort, and with even ball and some better play, we could have beaten them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: