ISP Round 9 v Illawarra @ Nowra, Sat 29th Apr, 3:00PM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: ISP Round 9 v Illawarra @ Nowra, Sat 29th Apr, 3:00PM Reply with quote

North Sydney travels to Nowra Showground this week. We've had some good form on the road - five from five (compared with zero from three at home).

This will be our first game against the renamed Illawarra - the name "Illawarra Cutters" has been consigned to history and the team is now just "Illawarra" or "Illawarra RLFC" (although if you want to be picky, all clubs have something like that).

Unlike last week, there are no differences between the team lists on the NS and NSWRL websites (see article below).

South Sydney played 1-17 this evening, so the three players who were named for both Norths and Souths - Tyrell Fuimaono, Anthony Cherrington and Braiden Burns - should be available, along with Robbie Rochow who was named just for the Rabbitohs. I thought he played well last Sunday although did get taken off with what looked like a badly corked thigh.

The game may not get any coverage this week - the NSWRL website is silent (although that doesn't mean anything), while Steele Sports is still listing last weekend's games. Steele Sports did say last week that it might not be broadcasting anything this coming weekend although didn't say why.

I'll be there. :-)

www.northsydneybears.com.au/north-sydney-bears-head-nowra-face-illawarra-round-nine-competition

NORTH SYDNEY BEARS HEAD TO NOWRA TO FACE ILLAWARRA IN ROUND NINE OF COMPETITION

April 25, 2017 by Steve Little

In 2016 the Illawarra Cutters won the Intrust Super Premiership, running out winners 21-20 over the Mt Pritchard Mounties.

However for 2017 after a rationalisation of sponsorship in the Wollongong District, the Illawarra Rugby League has chosen to both leverage their history and re-align their feeder relationship with the St George Illawarra NRL moniker.

Now known simply as the Illawarra RLFC and carrying the St George Illawarra badge, they still possess the size and talent commensurate with one of the sport's original heartlands.

This heartland is of special significance as the North Sydney club face Illawarra this weekend in Round Nine of the Intrust Super Premiership as the Bears will travel to Nowra, on the New South Wales South Coast to face the Defending Premiers.

Kick-off is the normal time of 3:00 pm at Nowra Showground.

North Sydney Head Coach Ben Gardiner has named his team to travel south.

Young Adam Doueihi will start on the bench. Tautalatasi Tasi and Brett Greinke move into the starting thirteen to cover the loss of Robbie Rochow and Dave Tyrrell.

NSW Rugby League Senior Representative Competition | Intrust Super Premiership Competition
Round Nine | Illawarra Vs North Sydney | Nowra Showground | 3:00 pm | 29/04/2017

1 Sitiveni Moceidreke
2 Dane Nielson
3 Tyrell Fuimaono
4 Edward Murphy
5 Braiden Burns
6 Eli Levido
7 Luke Kelly
8 Anthony Cherrington
9 Bradley Deitz (C)
10 Toby Rudolf
11 Tautalatasi Tasi
12 Brett Greinke
13 Cheyne Whitelaw

Interchange
14 Clayton Williams
15 Adam Doueihi
16 Fred Junior Mauala
17 Piki Rogers

Coach: Ben Gardiner
djmac
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've been spoiled by Steele Sports. I'm up at 6am (UK) to listen to the live stream, and foolishly assumed there would be one. Now I have to rely on twitter, which is much less satisfying!
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmac wrote:
I think I've been spoiled by Steele Sports. I'm up at 6am (UK) to listen to the live stream, and foolishly assumed there would be one. Now I have to rely on twitter, which is much less satisfying!

Stay strong djmac. You can do it!
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from Nowra. A good win today, not flashy, not spectacular, but solid. The final score of 23-10 probably flattered us a bit - Illawarra had two tries disallowed, and one of ours came shortly after the ref ruled Illawarra to have knocked on, and gave us a 10m scrum. From my angle (and I emphasise "angle") I thought it was a tough call. But don't underestimate the win - the team showed a bit of character today, particularly after going behind about a minute into the second half (noting that Illawarra scored its first try following a midfield intercept five minutes from half time).

This win also broke my losing streak - NS lost the last six times I'd seen a game live.

There were a few changes to the NS team:

Out - 8. Anthony CHERRINGTON replaced by 16. FJ MAUALA
Swap - 17. Piki ROGERS with 11. Tautalatasi TASI
In - 18. Jamel HUNT

All 17 players got game time.

The 18th man was wearing no. 19 but I didn't recognise him.

There were quite a few Bears fans there, including a few of the usual faces.

The match report has been posted on the NSWRL website.

www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/04/29/report_illawarra_v_n.html

Bears Down Illawarra With Second-Half Blitz
Tony Dosen

Sat 29th April, 05:30PM

The North Sydney Bears snapped their two-game losing streak in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW when they defeated an error-riddled Illawarra 23-10 in their match at Nowra Showground this afternoon.

The win keeps the Bears safely inside the top four for the moment as a four-point gap has now opened up to the rest of the the top eight as a result.

Showing more purpose in attack than they have in recent weeks, the Bears opened the scoring in the 11th minute when a clever Eli Levido cross-kick evaded Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty – allowing former Queensland State of Origin winger Dane Nielsen to pounce for his first try.

Illawarra had an early chance soon afterwards when centre Tyrell Fuimaono lost the ball at the end of a long right-side break, before Norths mounted extended pressure inside Illawarra’s defensive 20 metre area.

This pressure paid dividends in the 27th minute when a right-side spread saw winger Braidon Burns finish the movement off to score in the corner to give the Bears an 8-0 lead.

Illawarra then had their best passage of play in the 10 minutes either side of half-time.

First, five-eighth Jai Field snaffled an intercept off a pass from opposite number Levido five minutes from half-time and dashed 55 metres to score. Shaun Nona converted to get Illawarra back to being only 8-6 down at the break.

Then in the first set of six tackles to start the second half, a shift to the left from Nona saw winger Izaac Thompson in the clear to beat the poor cover defence and score in the corner and give the home side for the day a 10-8 lead.

The first of two critical Illawarra errors followed when winger Patrick Herbert dropped the ball in goal with a try on in the 46th minute.

The resultant seven tackle set saw Norths work their way inside Illawarra’s defensive 20-metre zone for interchange forward Tautalatasi Tasi to power over from dummy-half and score to put the Bears back in front at 12-10.

The Bears converted another repeat set deep in attack 11 minutes later when a sweeping backline movement through the hands saw Nielsen finish clinically in the corner for his second try. Poor goal-kicking from Levido – who finished with no goals from four attempts – kept the Norths lead to only 16-10.

The match became a series of errors, dropped balls and turnovers in the middle of the second half – before the other critical Illawarra error took place in the 66th minute.

A lovely Nona short ball put Josh Kerr into a yawning gap that saw the big prop make his way in goal – only to drop the ball as he was grounding it to score what would have been the match-levelling try.

Kerr then threw a pass intercepted by Fuimaono on Illawarra’s next attack to open the door for the Bears to put the game away.

Norths took their opportunity with seven minutes left when lock Cheyne Whitelaw strolled through token goal-line defence to score the match winning try under the posts. Interchange back Adam Doueihi landed the conversion to extend the Bears lead to 22-10.

Norths half Luke Kelly then slotted a neat 20-metre field goal with 90 seconds left to make sure of the two competition points.

Norths will now look to continue their winning form into their biggest home game of the year – the first of the annual Frank Hyde Shield games against the Newtown Jets at North Sydney Oval on Mother’s Day, 14 May.

Illawarra will now play to keep their place in the top eight in their next game against the Wentworthville Magpies at Ringrose Park – also on 14 May.

North Sydney Bears 23 (D Nielsen 2, B Burns, T Tasi, C Whitelaw tries; A Doueihi goal; L Kelly field goal) def Illawarra 10 (J Field, I Thompson tries; S Nona goal)
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Fintan and good to have the season back on track.

How did the halves go?
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girvie wrote:
Thanks for the update Fintan and good to have the season back on track.

How did the halves go?

They did ok, but still seem to have trouble seeing a way through the line. We had consecutive sets a few times during the game, but didn't seem to do anything with the extra ball. I see other teams' attacks and they keep the defensive line guessing, but I rarely see that happening with Norths. The kicking was better today, we got a couple of line drop outs from well placed kicks and some of the cross-kicks were good - Nielsen's first try came from one that the winger let bounce and it went over his head right to Nielsen who looked like he was there to tackle rather than score. Some of Kelly's kicks find good space and turn the defenders around.

Both Kelly and Levido do some good stuff, but they don't seem to work well together. Of the two, I think Levido is more useful and I was pleased to see him back in the halves rather than out on the wing like last week. Douehi was in the halves at one stage, I think he has potential. He puts some good kicks in behind the line, but his team mates don't read them that well. Kelly's field goal was good - it was an ugly looking kick but got over the bar. I applauded straight away, but the ref seemed not to know if it was a goal or not. For a brief moment, I thought that he saw me celebrating and decided to award it (I was close to being behind the goal posts). At that point in the game, it wouldn't have mattered at it was the 79th minute. It was a well taken field goal as he didn't have much time, but I thought we should have gone for one earlier in the game when it looked like the final result was going to be closer. We certainly had chances to put on scoreboard pressure.
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody. Fin won us an an official point! Lol. Thanks buddy!

When Doueihi was on did he replace Kelly or Levido?
djmac
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need to get a goal kicker, otherwise we'll lose all the close games.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't Levido goal kick?
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 9 Highlights vid.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/05/04/highlights_intrust_s.html

Looks like you're famous Fintan. You're on camera during the field goal i think.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

092016 wrote:
Hey everybody. Fin won us an an official point! Lol. Thanks buddy!

Well, I'm not sure if that's the case, but the ref did seem to take a while to award it and I began to wonder whether or not I was right. You can't really see on the replay how ugly a kick it was. But I did get the feeling that the ref looked at me with my arm in the air just before he awarded it. It wasn't going to change the result (it was the 79th minute). I'll take it. Let the official NS record show that I scored half a point.

092016 wrote:
When Doueihi was on did he replace Kelly or Levido?

Off hand, I can't remember. The match centre at http://live.nswrl.com.au/match/3ec60a38ee446fb80/02b1c9b11f3756ad8 doesn't record either Kelly or Levido being interchanged so all three were on the field. Doueihi came on at 32 mins and never went off.

kjwbea wrote:
Why didn't Levido goal kick?

He had the first four shots but they all missed. Apart from one (the third I think) which was an absolute dog of a kick, they weren't far off and all were from out wide. Doueihi's shot was from in front of the post, but it looks like he can kick - it was dead straight. I've seen players almost miss them from there (e.g. at a game in Wyong when we played CC Storm I think they were called).

092016 wrote:
Looks like you're famous Fintan. You're on camera during the field goal i think.

Yep, that's me. There are some people to my right (i.e. the left of the screen), and behind them there is someone sitting behind the fence. That's my friend Juliana and our dog Shadow.

My recollection is that Kelly had a lot less space and a lot less time than it seems on the video. Maybe it's because it looked like he was going to pass so the field goal came out of nowhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: