ISP Round 16 v Canterbury @ North Sydney Oval, Sun 25th June

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: ISP Round 16 v Canterbury @ North Sydney Oval, Sun 25th June Reply with quote

Back in action on Sunday after a second bye in three weeks. Penrith had a bye last week as well, so given that we haven't played them, I reckon we could have played and had a bye this week, along with Souths. (I was in Sydney last weekend, so I'm a bit scarred at not getting to see any footy.)

We played Canterbury in Round 6 in April and won by 8-6. Canterbury has had some good results in recent weeks - it lost to Mounties in Round 9 (16-20) but is undefeated since:

Rd 10 v Wests Tigers @ Belmore W 24-12
Rd 11 v Wyong @ Belmore D 30-all
Rd 12 v Newtown Jets @ Henson D 26-all
Rd 13 v Penrith @ ANZ W 14-4
Rd 14 v Illawarra @ Belmore W 38-0
Rd 15 v Bye

NS's team is posted on the North Sydney website. I don't know if the game is being covered - Steele Sports is doing a game on Saturday but not on Sunday. I have something on at the same time so that's some consolation for me. I haven't checked the other stations that provide coverage.

There are two curtain raisers on Sunday - an U16s and an U19s game.

www.northsydneybears.com.au/team-list-north-sydney-home-bulldogs-clash-junior-district-matches

TEAM LIST – NORTH SYDNEY AT HOME FOR BULLDOGS CLASH AND JUNIOR DISTRICT MATCHES

June 20, 2017
by North Sydney Bears

After the Bye, North Sydney switch back to North Sydney Oval for Round Sixteen of the Intrust Super Premiership.

The Bears face the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on Sunday 3:00 pm.

The previous match against the Bulldogs was in Round Six at Belmore Sports Ground.

In a highly physical contest, the Bears edged out winners 8-6.

There will be two curtain raisers. The under 16s and Under 19s in the Combined Junior Competition sees the Magpies face the Hawks and the Wallabies play the Valley. Gates open 11:45 am.

Sunday Schedule:

11:45 am Gates open
12:00 pm Under 16s Combined Junior Competition: Asquith Magpies Vs North Ryde Hawks
1:15 pm Under 19s Combined Junior Competition: Berowra Wallabies Vs Valley United
3:00 pm ISP North Sydney Bears Vs Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

North Sydney Head Coach Ben Gardiner has announced the following team to face Canterbury-Bankstown.

NSW Rugby League Senior Representative Competition | Intrust Super Premiership Competition [Open Age]
Round Sixteen | North Sydney Vs Canterbury-Bankstown | North Sydney Oval | 3:00 pm | 25/06/2017

1 Sitiveni Moceidreke
2 Latrell Robinson
3 Edward Murphy
4 Piki Rogers
5 Abbas Miski
6 Eli Levido
7 Luke Kelly
8 David Tyrrell
9 Bradley Deitz
10 Robbie Rochow
11 Cameron Murray
12 Jack Gosiewski
13 Cheyne Whitelaw

Interchange
14 Fred Junior Mauala
15 Toby Rudolf
16 Clayton Williams
17 Brett Greinke

Coach: Ben Gardiner
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of big names down at the Bears game today:

Russell Crowe

Michael Maguire

Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, Angus Crichton, Tom Burgess and Jason Clark from the Rabbitohs

Josh Jackson, Josh Reynolds and Adam Elliott from the Bulldogs.

Bears were beaten 32-14 in a miserable performance. The Bulldogs now take our place in the top 4.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girvie wrote:
Bears were beaten 32-14 in a miserable performance. The Bulldogs now take our place in the top 4.

Thanks for the report - succinct and to the point. What's up with our team? You'd think with Michael Maguire in the crowd, they'd be out to impress him, demanding that they be picked for first grade.

We dropped out of the four after yesterday's games - Penrith jumped to third following its win over NZ Warriors, pushing Mounties to fourth and us to fifth.

The table is:

1. Wyong Roos 29 (+202)
2. New Zealand Warriors 23 (+102)
*3. Penrith Panthers 19 (+102)
4. Mounties 19 (+6)
-----
5. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 18 (+50)
*6. North Sydney Bears 18 (-11)
7. Illawarra 16 (-62)
*8. Newcastle Knights 15 (-86)
-----
9. Wentworthville Magpies 14 (+24)
*10. Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 14 (-62)
11. Newtown Jets 13 (-75)
12. Wests Tigers 10 (-190)

* All teams have had at least one bye. The four marked with an asterisk have had two.

There were a few changes to the NS side, both positional and personnel:

6 Eli Levido
3 Edward Murphy
1 Sitiveni Moceidreke
4 Piki Rogers
5 Abbas Miski
*18 Adam Doueihi
7 Luke Kelly
8 David Tyrrell
9 Bradley Deitz
*19 George Burgess
11 Cameron Murray
*20 Anthony Cherrington
10 Robbie Rochow

Interchange
12 Jack Gosiewski
13 Cheyne Whitelaw
15 Toby Rudolf
17 Brett Greinke

Out
2 Latrell Robinson
14 Fred Junior Mauala
16 Clayton Williams (played in the RMC rep game)

All 17 got match time.

The match report from the NSWRL website is below. The title seems to sum it up.

In case you've missed the news, next week's game against Penrith has been changed to Friday evening, starting at 7:30PM. It's still at NS Oval.

After that, our remaining games are:

Rd 18 v Wyong (A)
Rd 19 v Mounties (H)
Rd 20 v Newcastle (H)
Rd 21 v Bye
Rd 22 v Wests Tigers (A)
Rd 23 v Illawarra (H)
Rd 24 v Penrith (A)
Rd 25 v Newtown (A)

www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/06/25/report_north_sydney_.html

Bulldogs Assert Claims In Bears Demolition
Andre Cupido
Sun 25th June, 04:45PM

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have further stamped their claims as genuine premiership contenders in 2017, with a commanding 32-14 victory over the North Sydney Bears on Sunday afternoon.

Despite the opening half of the contest being a hard-fought battle with the Bulldogs holding onto a slight 12-8 advantage at the break, two tries to captain Craig Garvey was the cornerstone of a clinical second-half performance, that sees the Bulldogs edge closer to the top four of the Intrust Super Premiership NSW ladder.

Renouf To’omaga and Andy Saunders put in strong performances as they laid a strong platform of their numerous attacking raids, while George Burgess and Cheyne Whitelaw putting in valiant performances in a losing side.

The Bulldogs threatened early with a last-tackle raid down the right-hand side, but an opposing penalty to the Bears saw them earn a repeat set down the other tend thanks to a pin-point kick from halfback Luke Kelly.

Unable to capitalise, The Bulldogs responded with a chance of their own with a well-constructed backline movement almost paying off, only for scrambling Bears defence forcing a knock-on.

With both teams looking for the early break-through, it was the Bears who drew first blood as five-eighth Adam Douehi showed his crafty footwork to break the line before evading the fullback to cross for his team’s first try.

Despite the Bears winning the battle of field-position throughout the opening 25 minutes, it was the Bulldogs who found themselves next to score as Renouf To’omaga bursted through the line and offloaded to Josh Cleeland for their maiden try of the afternoon.

A knock-on off the kick-off from the Bulldogs invited the Bears to earn themselves an immediate response, but a penalty in-front of the uprights gifted the Bears an easy two points.

The arm-wrestle contest continued to be played predominantly through the middle third but the Bulldogs found themselves in the red-zone once again, with Bronson Garlick throwing a perfectly timed cut-out pass to Reimis Smith who athletically crossed in the left-hand corner.

Rhyse Martin converted from the sideline to take a 12-8 lead with five minutes remaining the first-half

With both teams unable to close out the first 40 minutes with further points, it was the Bulldogs who held onto the four-point lead at half-time.

The Bears came out with a point to prove with their first attacking chance pinning the Bulldogs on their own try line, and their committed defence responded immediately as they drove Tyron Phillips into in the in-goal.

The Bears were unable to take advantage of the early chance, and a string of penalties soon after saw the Bulldogs straight onto the attack, with Joshua Bergamin wasting little time and scoring their third of the afternoon.

Brimming with confidence, the Bulldogs momentum couldn't be halted as a brilliant Cleeland offload found Rhyse Martin in open space straight from the kick-off, and eventually placed a well-timed grubber for Craig Garvey who scored right under posts for back-to-back tries.

Martin converted the try to extend the lead to 14 points just after 55 minutes.

The Bulldogs were constantly threatening the Bears goal-line with some classy backline movements, and it was Garvey who found the breakthrough as the bursted through some flimsy defence to score his second try of the afternoon.

A 70 metre try to Richie Kennar put the icing on the cake for the Bulldogs with the score stretching out to a 32-8 lead, but the Bears showed their resilience with a late consolation try to Abbas Miski, but it was to no avail as the Bulldogs recorded a strong 32-14 victory away from home.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There needs to be some serious questions asked in relation to team selections.

Players should not be playing out of position.

Once the teams were announced on Tuesday, that Brenko Lee was always going to be a nightmare matchup for Piki Rogers.

I don't blame Piki, he is a back rower playing in the centres.

Ed Murphy could have played at left centre. Even though his preference is right centre, he would have been a better option than Rogers.

As for putting Eli at fullback. This has been tried before and is a disaster. If there is no place for Eli in the halves, then leave him out of the 17. Though my preference is that Eli and Kelly is the Bears best option. If Souths want to play Adam Doueihi, then Kelly should be dropped.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking that myself B4L as I read the team changes before coming to your post.

Seems to be a lot of positional changes from Tuesday to Sunday without any real need. Off the top of my head we have had 5 or 6 fullbacks this year in what is a crucial position.

And yes, Piki Rogers in the centres is a curious move. I wasn't there but it seems you are implying he struggled against an NRL performer in Lee.

A few years ago we complained about Souths not wanting to play their u/20's in our team (Burgess brothers etc). Now we seem to have them forced upon us to give them experience, at the expense of our stability.
siv
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Mociedreke really play centre ?

Or was Murphy at centre and Mociedreke on the wing ?
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siv wrote:
Did Mociedreke really play centre ?

Or was Murphy at centre and Mociedreke on the wing ?

I can't answer that; the list I posted was from the NSWRL match centre, but I know that's not always how they line up.
Henderon4
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
I don't know some names of the list that you post .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: