DON'T GO WEST, NORTHS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northy
Junior Bear
Junior Bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: DON'T GO WEST, NORTHS! Reply with quote

This is my response to those in favour of us re-entering the NRL by any means whether it be in Western Australia, Adelaide, other than the Central Coast and/or North Sydney.

For twenty years we have been in the rugby league wilderness and at first our efforts to survive as a stand-alone regional club were unsuccessful on the Central coast, then there was the Gold coast venture, then Adelaide is mentioned and, finally WA. What's next? South Africa if we keep going west? Focus on the Central Coast. The more avenues we explore the more we threaten to dilute the heritage and traditions of our beloved club by selling out our colours, emblem etc. What's to stop the joint venture from carrying out a full-blown take-over and eventually ditching our colours and emblem in another "rebranding" exercise which would be the death knell of our club.

Penrith changed their colours in 1991 from the Chocolate soldiers to the Licorice All-sorts colours, Canterbury dropped the "Berries" for the Bulldogs, Newtown went from the "Blue Bags" to the "Jets", who here thinks of Balmain whenever Wests Tigers play at Leichhardt Oval or the Illawarra Steelers whenever the Dragons play at Kogarah? Let's not forget the multiple identities of the Gold Coast Titans/Sea Gulls/Giants and Auckland/New Zealand Warriors. Furthermore, if you want a glimpse of the future, just look to the past with the so-called Northern Eagles and their predominantly Manly colours and our colours being little more than horizontal stripes on the team's socks. Come so-called"NRL Heritage " round, what have we got to celebrate? Furthermore, heritage is about the customs, values, beliefs, traditions that we consider important enough to preserve and hand down to future generations. Heritage and tradition can be stumbling blocks to progress, yet they are the foundations upon which sporting dreams can be made, a source of pride, of belonging and something by which we can be identified.

Some of you may think that as long as it's red-and-black and has a bear for an emblem you'll support it. This smacks of desperation which is the result of being a supporter of a club which has dwelt in the NRL wilderness since 2000. However, I am torn by my loyalties, hopes and doubts. My loyalties are with the club and identity of the North Sydney Bears which has existed for 110 years. My hope is that we will re-enter the NRL and win the premiership. My doubts are about the identity of the new venture into the NRL should we be successful and how clubs in the past have “rebranded” their identity at the expense of heritage and tradition.

How many of you Norths supporters could go along to North Sydney Oval on match day and shout out with passion “C'mon you Western Bears” or “Go you mighty Perth Bears”. Go on. Do it now. As you read this post, I want you to shout it out at the top of your voice then examine your heart/your emotions and ask yourself how you felt. If you couldn't do it, then there is your answer! I can tell you right now that I can't do it, not because I'm stubborn or rebellious (which I am) but because my heart isn't in it. And that's the thing – no heart, no passion, no love. We will lose all that and more if we continue to walk down the path of re-entry at any cost. We will also have a new team song because the new owners and fans won't approve of our “Stand Aside” song as it's musical style and lyrics harp back to a by-gone era out of touch with present -day musical tastes and the image of a new, vibrant sports team (personally I love the song and play it loudly after every win). Norths forever – YES! Play as whoever – NO!

Finally, I love the passion, the loyalty and fanaticism of our fans, the best and most loyal in all the sporting world. What an enormous honour and privilege it is to be a North Sydney Bears supporter. SAHCTMB!!!
Bearhead
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Northy.

Central Coast Bears, Gold Coast Bears, Perth Bears.....where does it end? Is that the commitment - to get red & black colours back into the NRL in some capacity?

It would make for an interesting poll amongst all Bears supporters. I would also expect that any hype and excitement after the first year or two will die down considerably.

If the Western Force rugby union couldn't survive in the West with their set up / resources, then there is absolutely no way a league team can survive in this day and age, let alone the Perth Western Reds.

Maybe our time is done and our objective is to be a stand alone NSW Cup side?
derekf
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant post, Northy. We Bears supporters are fiercely loyal creatures. We may think it would be the best thing for the survival of our club to become the Gold Coast Bears or the Central Coast Bears, and I can understand the sentiment of those frustrated by our continued exclusion from the NRL where we belong. However, at best our culture and identify would become diluted. At worst, it would be another Northern Eagles scenario. What a horrible farce that misadventure was. I'd rather we retain our identity and seek to survive on our own terms, although I understand and respect those who think differently and would like to see us survive in any mixed identity if it meant we returned in some form to the NRL.
siv
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think Perth is a real option

Maybe better focusing on a North Melbourne option

As there is a desire to setup and second Melbourne franchise
angrybear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearhead wrote:
...a stand alone NSW Cup side...

this I like.

And if I could on this lovely old forum, Northy, I'd give you many upvotes.

Great post.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not win me many friends, but I'm getting a little bit jaded by the constant bid for an NRL team. We seem to clutch after every straw going. We've had the Central Coast, the Gold Coast and now Perth. I was initially hostile to the Central Coast Bears (but got talked around due to interactions on TMB), never liked the Gold Coast Bears and don't mind the Perth Bears. However, I'm a North Sydney Bears fan and that's where my true support lies.

Sometimes I think the effort into chasing this shadow would have been better spent on building the North Sydney Bears in the NSW Cup, and making us into a strong stand-alone club. VFL clubs have shown that it's possible for a stand-along club to be competitive in an equivalent level of football. In the NSW Cup, the Wyong Roos was stand-alone in first year and made the finals.
northern bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some activity on this site.

With Easts pulling out of the Central Coast area, Norths should leap at the chance to get some presence there this and next season. While we have this "association" with South Sydney (if only until 2019) we can still offer a line to the NRL.

Unfortunately this season has gone as many predicted. We should be active now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: