Cliff Watson - North Sydney Bears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watson
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Cliff Watson - North Sydney Bears Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am fourteen years old and the Great-Nephew of Cliff Watson, who was Reserve Team coach at the Bears for the 1979 season.

I am hoping that some fans will be able to help with their memories/knowledge of the following:

1. Any general memories of Cliff?

2. Memories of Tommy Bishop's spell in charge (1979 season) and what Tommy was like as a coach, the team the played, tactics, etc. (I'd like to know about the 1st team even though Cliff was with the Reserves)

3. I am trying to contact players who played for the club during that season, but have only spoken to Don McKinnon (who was very helpful). Any players are helpful, reserve team OR first team.

Thank you,

Davis Watson
(Great-Nephew of Cliff Watson)
- Aged 14
unbearable
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Cliff Watson Reply with quote

G'day young Watson,

Here is a link to the 35 players who played first grade in 1979. Many of them played for reserves that firsts.
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrfl-1979/north-sydney/summary.html
I used to walk my dog at Primrose park in Cammeray and watch the Bears train there. I remember seeing Cliff giving one-on-one instruction to reserves halfback Kevin "pig pen' Wilson, on what looked like how to throw a good stiff arm!
Tommy Bishop took over from captain coach Bill Hamilton. The club signed some Queenslanders. a young Paul McCabe (who showed a lot of promise but was lured to big spenders Easts after one season. Recall he had a huge punch up with Souths David "nana" Grant at NSO. Could fight as well as play). Big centre Brian Dunn signed for $5,000, he thought that was just to trial. Got upset on discovering that was his season's pay! At one stage it looked like Tommy had signed future champion Wally Lewis.
1979 the Bears were winless going into round 5 when they played arch enemy Manly at Brookvale. Tommy was under heavy criticism and pressure. Tommy backed young half Geoff Smith to play how he would play and the Bears caused the upset of the season.
Watson
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing response - just the kind of info I was after!!

Please give me a shout if you recall any thing else.

Thanks a million,

Davis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: