2019 Canterbury Cup Round 3 v Wentworthville Magpies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: 2019 Canterbury Cup Round 3 v Wentworthville Magpies Reply with quote

A Sunday game this weekend, against Wentworthville Magpies at Ringrose Park. Coach Jason Taylor has named a 19-man squad, including a five man bench. However, four of the squad have been named as Reserves for Sydney Roosters in Friday night's NRL game against Parramatta - Brock LAM, Asu KEPAOA, Nat BUTCHER and Lachlan LAM.

Jamie Soward's match preview from www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/03/27/canterbury-cup-nsw-previews--rd-3 is included below.

It's **possible** that there will be radio coverage through Triple H www.triplehfm.com.au and/or Alive 905 www.alive905.com.au.

One of the curtain raisers is a women's game between Wenty and Norths. Unfortunately, it's not immediately beforehand, but starts at 11:00AM. I'll make a separate post on that game.

Sunday 3rd April 2019 @ 3:00PM
Wentworthville Magpies v North Sydney Bears
Ringrose Park, Wentworthville

1. Kieran MOSS
2. Asu KEPAOA
3. Edward MURPHY
4. James TUITAHI
5. Bernard LEWIS
6. Lachlan LAM
7. Brock LAMB
8. John TUIVAITI
9. Bradley DIETZ
10. Max BAILEY
11. Sitili TUPOUNIUA
12. Josh CURRAN
13. Nat BUTCHER

14. Sam VERRILLS
15. Drew HUTCHISON
16. Fletcher BAKER
17. Setefano HALA
18. Thomas FREEBAIRN

Coach: Jason TAYLOR

Soward says: Rip Taylor was quietly confident last week after they were written off by everyone. They really hung in there, completed well and young Brad Keighran had a fantastic game moving into the halves with Matt Mcilwrick at no.9. I think the Bears will win, but I think Wentworthville will be better than what I thought they were going to be if I'm judging off what we've seen in recent weeks, but I have the Bears by 8.
Moonbear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we have our two halves on the field I'm confident of a good season. Hopefully the Maggies peaked last week.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One change to the Sydney Roosters squad sees Lachlan LAM make the 17. However, he's only gone on with three minutes to go which means he is available to play for North Sydney on Sunday. There was a rule change this year which means that players who have a small amount of game time aren't stopped from playing. I can't remember the threshold - 15 minutes maybe?
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is being broadcast on at least www.alive905.com.au. I tuned in early in the second half with North Sydney leading 12-8 but two quick tries to Wentworthville has made the score 20-12.

The team list at www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2019/round-3/magpies-v-bears shows that there are three changes to the NS starting side:

5. Curtis JOHNSTON (not previously named), replacing 5. Bernard LEWIS
15. Drew HUTCHINSON, replacing 6. Lachlan LAM
18. Thomas FREEBAIRN, replacing 13. Nat BUTCHER

The other addition is that Jerry KEY (no. 20) has been added to the bench.

The scoring has gone:

NS try Ed Murphy 10'
NS conversion Brock Lamb 12'
NS 6-0

WWV try Josh Hoffman 25'
WWV conversion Brad Keighran 26'
6-all

WWV penalty Brad Keighran 37'
WWV 8-6

NS try Setefano Hala 39'
NS conversion Brock Lamb 39'
NS 12-8

(The NSWRL website says that it was 6-all at half time.)

WWV try Bevan French 47'
WWV conversion Brad Keighran 48'
WWV 14-12

WWV try Matt McIlwrick 51'
WWV conversion Brad Keighran 52'
WWV 20-12

NS try Sam Verrills 66'
Conversion missed by Lamb
WWV 20-16

NS try Curtis Johnston 69'
Conversion missed (by Johnston I think - Lamb was down injured)
20-all

(Not a score, but WWV miss a field goal at the 78' mark. Great NS defensive pressure thwarted two further attempts - WWV didn't even get kicks away.)

NS field goal Brock Lamb
NS 21-20
Moonbear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad I went along. With 15 on the clock and 10 points down I didn't hold much hope as the bears hadn't looked like scoring at all in the second half.

Curtis scored try number 105 for the bears to level things up. With 1 minute and 18 seconds on the clock the bears gained possession on their own ten metre line. At that stage a stable set followed by a kick downfield seemed the best option. I would have been well happy with a point for the draw. Late in that set one of the Magpies put a coat hanger on Keiran Moss at our 40m line and the penalty had to be given. With twenty seconds left there was time for two good hit ups and the shot (from 40 metres out).

Hopefully this gives the fellas some belief in their ability to hang in there until the end.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it would have been great to have been there! I certainly yelled out when the commentators said the field goal went over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: