2019 Canterbury Cup Round 5 v Newtown Jets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: 2019 Canterbury Cup Round 5 v Newtown Jets Reply with quote

A Saturday game this week, at the traditional surrounds of Henson Park in Marrickville, at the traditional time of 3PM (although 2:30 would be even more traditional).

No television coverage this week, but the game is being broadcast on Steele Sports Radio:

Match details for this week are below. Four of the squad have been named as reserves for Sydney Roosters for its Saturday night game against Cronulla. What does Curtis Johnston have to do to get named in the 17? I thought he had a great game last week, as did Thomas Freebairn who at least is in the 18 players named.

Newtown Jets v North Sydney Bears
Saturday 13th April, 3:00PM
Henson Park

1. Kieran MOSS
2. Asu KEPAOA
3. Edward MURPHY
4. James TUITAHI
5. Bernard LEWIS
6. Lachlan LAM - named as a reserve for Sydney Roosters NRL
7. Brock LAMB
8. John TUIVAITI
9. Bradley DEITZ
10. Max BAILEY
11. Sitili TUPOUNIUA - named as a reserve for Sydney Roosters NRL
12. Nat BUTCHER - named as a reserve for Sydney Roosters NRL
13. Josh CURRAN

14. Sam VERRILLS - named as a reserve for Sydney Roosters NRL
15. Drew HUTCHINSON
16. Fletcher BAKER
17. Setefano HALA
18. Thomas FREEBAIRN

Coach: Jason TAYLOR
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to the ABC Radio coverage of tonight's NRL game between Gold Coast and Penrith. Commentator Andrew Moore said that he and the team would be at Henson Park tomorrow and would be walking around the ground between 2 and 3. I didn't hear, but I got the impression that they'd be calling the game.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the game last Saturday. A woeful first half hour saw us trail 24-0 after 26 minutes. It got better after that and it was 24-12 by half time. At half time, I said to someone (hi Mark) that I thought we'd do it, and the way the Bears started the second half suggested that we would. However, a try against the run of play saw Newtown pull out to 30-12 in the 49th minute. However, by the 65th minute, it was 30-all and North Sydney looked like they would get up. However, while Newtown started a set deep in its half, all the pressure was relieved with a penalty, followed by a second soon after, and then a penalty right in front of the posts which made the score 32-30 in the 70th minute. Still plenty of time, but these three penalties - for a hand in the ruck (Max Bailey), a dangerous tackle (Jerry Key) and a ball strip (Max Bailey again) according to the NSWRL website - gave the momentum back to the Jets and there was no further scoring. North Sydney had a couple more chances, but couldn't get the points.

There were two changes to the starting side:

18. Thomas FREEBAIRN replaced 11. Sitili TUPOUNIUA (named as a reserve for Sydney Roosters NRL)
15. Drew HUTCHINSON replaced 12. Nat BUTCHER named as a reserve for Sydney Roosters NRL)

Changes to the bench:

Out:
14. Sam VERRILLS (named as a reserve for Sydney Roosters NRL)

In:
19. Kurtis PREECE (not previously named)
20. Jerry KEY (not previously named)

Newtown Jets 32 (5 tries, 5 conversions, 1 penalty goal) df
North Sydney Bears 30 (Brock Lamb 30', Ed Murphy 36', Bernard Lewis 52', Jerry Key 61', Bernard Lewis 64' tries, Brock Lamb 31', 37', 54', 62', 65' conversions)
Half-time 24-12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: