Round 1 Premier League Norths vs Cronulla
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Round 1 Premier League Norths vs Cronulla Reply with quote

The Bears are taking on Cronulla at Toyota Park this Saturday at 3.30pm in the first round of Premier League.

It should be a good test to start with for the Bears. The Sharks didn't compete in Premier League last year but their players competed for Newtown who made the finals.

Cronulla have the bye in the nrl so there is no nrl match being played afterwards, but the Cronulla Junior Rep sides are playing beforehand.

Hopefully the Bears line-up will be announced soon.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Sharks line up. With no premier league teams last year i have put who they played for last year in brackets.

1 Mitch BROWN (sharks jf/ newtown pl)
2 CarlFRITZ (illawarra comp)
3 Dane NIELSEN (sharks jf/ newtown pl)
4 Brett KELLY (dragons pl)
5 Toshio LAISENI (nz)
6 Brett KEARNEY (souths pl/nrl) - former Bears player
7 Tony CAINE (sharks jf)
8 James STOSIC (newtown pl/ sharks nrl)
9 Tevita LATU (nz warriors nrl)
10 Jacob SELMES (sharks jf/ newtown pl)
11 Darren MAPP (broncos nrl)
12 Phil LEULUAI (newtown pl/ sharks nrl)
13 Cameron CIRALDO (newtown pl/ sharks nrl)

14 Clifford MANUA (newtown pl/ sharks nrl)
15 Luke HARLEN (newtown pl)
16 Kurt PUOHOTOAUA (sharks jf)
17 Jardine BOBONGIE (newtown pl/jbc)
18 Ryan BORG (wests pl)
19 Nick DOIG (sharks jf/ newtown pl)
Coach Craig WILSON

With their nrl side having the bye it looks like they are playing a couple of forwards who would normally be on the bench in nrl.

I think the Sharks will come around the middle of the table this year. If we can match their forwards our backs should be able to win it for us.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Sydney Premier League v Cronulla Sat March 11th at 3.30pm at Toyota Park
1. John Russell
2. Andrew Moodie
3. Karl Johnson
4. Daniel Watkins
5. Richard Retimana
6. Daniel Russell (C)
7. Ben Black
8. Aaron Trinder
9. Ben Ellis
10. Eddie Sua
11. Chris Saab
12. Scott Perrin
13. Luke Fatnowna

14. Brendon Crabb
15. Ryan Russell
16. Reihana Peters
22. John Kagi
25. Michael Harper

Coach Josh White

It looks like a good line-up. The bench looks strong.

It's a pity they haven't named the Storm players who will be playing.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

girvie wrote:

It's a pity they haven't named the Storm players who will be playing.

Yes it is a shame. Hopefully Chris Walker will be playing for us, as he should make a massive difference to our attacking play.

Girvie, do you know of any of the Storm players who could be playing for us who were not listed in the Storm 18 player list for the NRL.
Owen Legg
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a look at the Storm's, Bears and Devils teams for the weekend there is a few players from the Storms' website I could not find featured on any list. They are Matthew Barlett, Chris Walker, Daniel Isaac and Ben Matterson. Isaac and Matterson are as far as I am aware contracted to the Devils. I assume that they may be injured or playing for a lower grade Devils team. Walker and Barlett I guess may be on their way to the Bears for the weekend. With Ben Cross, Dennis Scott, Glen Turner, Scott Anderson and Ryan Shortland out injured it will be interesting the team selections later on if everyone is available.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's Age had Jamie Feeney listed in a five man bench for Melbourne Storm with the advice "one to be omitted"- he's not listed on the Storm website today - see http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.asp?sec=3&ssec=3&se_no=39&match_id=5. I hope that they don't keep him on standby just in case someone drops out. At the AGM, Greg Florimo said that it was likely that NS would get three MS players for round 1.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that Chris Walker and Matthew Bartlett will almost certainly be playing for us.

I think Isaac and Matterson would be in the Devils Colts team.

It would be great to have Feeney as well, but because they are playing in NZ they will probably take him incase there are any injuries in the warm up etc. And that could be a problem each week because there are hardly any Storm games that line-up with Bears games. When we are playing at the same venue we will get the benefit of Feeney if he was 18th man.

When Ben Cross, Dennis Scott and Glen Turner are back from injury we will probably get Feeney and either Cross or Ian Donnelly.

Premier League lineups for all teams: http://www.nswrl.com.au/uimages/121.pdf

From the Bears 2005 squad there is
* Pat Galea (prop) and Jason Dorahy (58th) starting at Wests with Steven Hales on the bench.
* Matthew Thurston on the bench for Newcastle.
* Billy Ngawini (halfback), Namila Davui and Chris Tuatara (centres) are starting for Canterbury.
* Anthony Kiro on the bench for Souths.

I think Lester Salanoa (Canterbury) and Kyle Arnold (Manly) are injured. Also Brenden Solomon is named on Canberra's website as being in their Premier League squad but he hasn't been named this weekend.

Also the players in the Bears line-up who were playing for us last year are John Russell, Andrew Moodie, Richard Retimana, Ben Ellis, Luke Fatnowna and Michael Harper.

I guess it shows how good we were last year to have so many players picked up by other clubs. I can't recall any of our 2004 squad being signed by other clubs last year.

- Back to the Bears match, there is a bit in Big League saying that Tevita Latu, Darren Mapp and Phil Leuluai were asked to play Premier League this week for the Sharks but will most likely be playing NRL next week.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North Shore Times has reported that Chris Walker will be playing for the Bears against Cronulla. Josh White was quoted as saying that Walker would be playing fullback as he felt he would be wasted in the centres.

There was no mention of any other Storm players playing for the Bears which is disappointing.

The addition of Walker will make a big difference, hopefully we get a win on Saturday.

GO BEARS
Big-Steve
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed last night -

Walker at fullback. Bartlett in forwards.

John Kagi has been released to Northern Suburbs Union.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how Walker goes at fullback. John Russell, Richard Retimana and Anthony Beare have all been in good form there in the trials.

Perhaps Walker will play like Nathan Merritt did last year for Newtown where he was the competitions leading tryscorer.

Big-Steve wrote:
Why? I thought he played well for us in the trials.
Big-Steve
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

girvie wrote:

Big-Steve wrote:
Why? I thought he played well for us in the trials.
His decission to go I understand.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the Bears named their final Premier League squad?

And with the excess players are they going to play for Asquith?
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.northshoretimes.com.au/article/2006/03/10/564_sports.html

Walker bolsters Bears
David Rowlands

10Mar06

North Sydney's strikepower for the start of their Premier League campaign has been given an almighty boost by the availability of former State of Origin star Chris Walker.

The Queensland flyer was drafted into the Bears' line-up after he missed selection in Melbourne's team for their NRL opener against New Zealand Warriors.

Walker will wear the Bears' number one jersey in tomorrow's round one game against Cronulla at Toyota Park.

``I think he's wasted in the centres, but at fullback we can have him bouncing around everywhere and chiming in as much as possible,'' said Norths coach Josh White.

While an excited White says he ``can't wait to see him play'' in the red and black, he confessed to having some concerns about Walker's mental approach.

``I just hope his head's right,'' he said. ``It's really important that he doesn't come up here with the attitude that he shouldn't be playing for North Sydney in the Premier League or whatever.

``If he's on (his game), he's the sort of bloke who can win you a game virtually by himself, so we'll be looking for him to be a leader, not a follower.''

Walker will have his first training session with Norths tonight at Macquarie University, where he will also meet most of his teammates for the first time.

White doesn't foresee any problems with the controversial utility back slotting in though, because Norths use all the same calls and moves as the Storm.

Meanwhile, there is a sense of irony in the grade coaching debut of North Sydney newcomer Steve Carter.

The former Penrith stalwart will be in charge of the Bears' Jersey Flegg Cup (under-20s) team for the first time in a competition game on Sunday when they host Central Coast at Norths' ``second'' home ground, Eastwood's TG Milner Field.

Carter is a Central Coast resident, as is Norths general manager Greg Florimo.

The two former representative five-eighths forged an association through their sons being team-mates in one of Wyong's junior teams.

The Bears' Harold Matthews Shield and SG Ball Cup sides will also tackle the Central Coast in the preliminary matches as they go searching for account-opening wins.

The Matthews side sustained their second straight heavy loss when they were belted 44-0 by the Bulldogs at Belmore Sports Ground, however the SG Ball outfit showed some encouraging signs in their 34-24 loss after being 16-all at half-time.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to Norths doing well this year, I'm sorry I won't be able to get there for the season opener. (In fact, it could be Round 6 in mid-April before I get to my first game! Hopefully earlier.) Cronulla didn't field a side in Premier League in 2005 as it entered into what turned out to be a not very happy association with Newtown. One of the sticking points was that Cronulla wanted the team called "Newtown-Cronulla" although the Jets never considered this to be part of the deal.

Cronulla's last game in PL was in the final round of 2004 at North Sydney Oval. North Sydney had beaten the Sharks 24-20 at Toyota Park earlier in the year (round 5) with a try scored in the final seconds. By the end of the season, NS's early promise had faded but Cronulla had rallied but had to beat Norths by about 63 points to make the top eight on points difference. While Cronulla was well on top for most of the game, it looked as if they wouldn't get anywhere near this margin. But then they started throwing the ball around and ran in a few tries to take the score to 76-18. Cronulla was therefore within a try of making the finals. As the siren went, Cronulla was on the attack and put a nice kick through. It was a race to the ball, won by a half a foot by NS's Scott Webb who booted the ball into touch. Those of us in the Mollie Dye Stand (including some of the Newtown contingent - Jeffles, Henson Park Hornets) leapt to our feet as if we'd won the grand final. Sad as it sounds, there was something very satisfying about denying Cronulla a place in the finals. Anyway, the point of all this is that Cronulla owes us one, so hopefully it will be a great game and a NS win.

It will be the start of our march to the 2006 Finals, the 100th Season Premiership in 2007 and the Centenary Premiership in 2008. Go Bears!
yogi bear
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does this leave Johnny Russell ?:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: