Round 6 - Norths vs Cougars & Panthers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onmyway
Junior Bear
Junior Bear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of the SG ball boys play besides Liam, if so howd they go??????
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear06 wrote:
What an absolute disgrace the game was tonight. I thought we might have had a chance to win in the second half, but the boys came out not wanting to win at all. Cougars came out fighting and Bears didnt want to. If Norths are looking to get themselves into 1st grade, this is not the way to do it. There was no talking on the field.

Guys, get your butts into gear. Show us who we are proud of.

Overall it was a disappointing result. But I agree with Girvie that the Cougars were white hot. In the first half I can only recall them dropping the ball once while playing some very expansive footy. Their short kicking game was spot on and made the most their opportunities. I would say the possession rate in the first half may have been around 65/35 which is always going to be tough. From memory in the first 10 minutes we had the ball for only one set of six. That sort of stuff is going to take its toll later in the game. Which in the end it did, with our defense really dropping off in the second half.

Also I could not believe how well drilled the Cougars were. Their dummy half was lightening quick from dummy half and overall their play the balls were quick and we just couldn't slow them down. The back three for the Cougars were very talented players and carved us up with some great returns, especially in the first half.

Hopefully in two weeks we can put a full 80 minutes together and get a win over the Bulldogs.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onmyway wrote:
Did any of the SG ball boys play besides Liam, if so howd they go??????

Liam Foran and Tim McDonald both played quite well. They didn't look out of place in Jersey Flegg.

Nathan Searle was sitting on the bench but he wasn't used.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess if there is one week we are going to be flogged it may as well be the week that the Norths Devils conceded 12 tries to suffer their worst defeat in the Qld Cup history. So i wonder what Melbourne will think about this weekend.

Here are the updated stats: http://www.mightybears.com/viewtopic.php?p=10738

Bear06 wrote:
I wonder how Daniel Russell is going to fair against his old team???

Will there be a few fights??
Well he was involved in a scuffle against some Cougars players along with (i think) Scott Perrin and Andrew Moodie. It was pretty stupid because we needed all our players defending the line and the Cougars scored soon afterwards.
NorthsBearspunx
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, another close loss. Seems like the kind of season where it may eventually just click and we'll start winning these type of games.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a pretty poor display this week from both grades, particularly Premier League whose game was marked by too much falling off tackles and no great enthusiasm for long periods of the game. Premier League didn't seem switched on when they took the field, in sharp contrast to St Marys Penrith - SMP were incredibly fast and focussed and looked like they meant business. Norths looked like they'd just got off the team bus. It was 18-0 within 13 minutes, although it was quite even for the rest of the half with two tries a-piece to make the half-time score 30-12. NS was on the attack when the siren went, and may have scored again if they had time to complete their set. We scored less than 90 seconds into the second half to make it 30-18 which suggested that we might be making a comeback, but that was pretty well it for Norths until we got the last try of the game 90 seconds from full time. NS's anticipation was poor - a high number of SMP's tries were scored by a well placed grubber kick behind the defence. You'd think after the first two or three, NS might have worked that one out. SMP just cut us up through the centre for much of the second half - a consequence of tired forwards from too much defending.

None of the NS players really stood out (noting that it was the first time I'd seen many of them so I didn't recognise many). Many did things that had a bit of sparkle, but the overall performance was not impressive. I thought Ben Black had a good second half. I particularly liked the way he saved two tries by running down the SMP attackers. Unfortunately, in both cases, his enthusiasm wasn't shared by the rest of the NS defence and SMP scored on the next tackle both times. Dan Russell's kicking in general play needs to improve - too often his kicks went straight to an SMP player. I would actually get Black to take more of the responsibility around the ruck and have Russell support him. I think Black is a more creative player, at least based on what I saw on Saturday night. Eddie Sua did a lot of work in both attack and defence when he was on, but spent a lot of time on the bench. He'll be a useful player when his stamina improves. Luke Fatnowna and Ben Ellis were ok but had trouble with the bigger SMP forwards. Anthony Beare and Andrew Moodie saved us a couple of times each. Moodie's try came from great offload by Filinga Filiga. Jamie Feeney's charge-down, gather and run that led to NS's second try (scored by Andrew Bartlett) was impressive - it's a shame he didn't score himself as he deserved it. Filinga's first try was the result of great passing, and FF attacking the line well, while his second started with Black fielding a chip kick about 30 metres out from NS's line and moving play quickly up field. An interesting stat is that all 15 tries were converted, even the ones from near the touch line. Final score 66-24.

Jersey Flegg looked as if they got off the same bus as Premier League, with three tries conceded within the first 10 minutes. It was 18-6 at half time after James Maloney put through a great bouncing kick into the in-goal to fall nicely for Blaydon Baird. However the score blew out to 32-6 before NS scored again. Arnold Mano scored near the post after some very scrappy scrambly play - it wasn't even clear that he'd got over the line until the ref awarded the try. Three minutes late we got another following some creative play by Maloney. He feigned to kick, instead stepped through the gap and ran 20 metres before putting a well-weighted kick into the corner for Matt MacDougall to fall on. This made it 32-22 with only three minutes left. Penrith got a penalty with 30 secs to go and went for the easy two points to make the final score 34-22.

A final comment on Premier League - is the fact that Melbourne Storm doesn't seem to be looking at NS's players as potential NRL players having a negative effect on the side's performance?
slats06
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan O'Laighin wrote:

Dan Russell's kicking in general play needs to improve - too often his kicks went straight to an SMP player. I would actually get Black to take more of the responsibility around the ruck and have Russell support him. I think Black is a more creative player, at least based on what I saw on Saturday night. \

In response to the above, Dan Russell's kicking in general play was not the problem... the problem is the lack of motivation in the rest of the team to chase the kick. Dan Russell and Black need to work together and thats just not happening.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slats06 wrote:
the problem is the lack of motivation in the rest of the team to chase the kick.

I'm not sure whether it was motivation, the guys had to do alot of tackling early on. In the first ten minutes the Bears only had the ball for 5 tackles. It was always going to catch up with us. Also we only were using 15 players for the first 65 minutes with Mick Harper getting hurt on his first hitup and Brendon Crabb only coming on with 15 minutes to go.

Our chase was not good, but the amount of tackling we had to do, something had to give.

Hopefully with a more even spread of possession, all facets of our game will improve.
BringBackTheBears
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I put my Bears jersey on or see the Bears emblem I feel a sense of pride.
Maybe the players should start doing the same.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.northshoretimes.com.au/article/2006/04/17/858_sports.html

Early promise takes tumble

David Rowlands

17Apr06

NORTH Sydney Premier League players will have to stew in their own boiling juices for longer than they would have liked after suffering an embarrassing loss to St Marys-Penrith on Saturday night.

A campaign that began with so much promise hit its lowest ebb when the Bears were humbled 66-24 at St Marys' Western Weekender Stadium.

Normally, when a football team is humiliated like that, they can't wait to get back on the field and seek redemption.

A case in point came from the NRL last week when St George Illawarra came out and beat Manly after being battered from pillar to post in the media following their 54-6 drubbing at the hands of Newcastle.

However Norths have been denied the vehicle for quick atonement because they have the bye this weekend and won't play again until Saturday week, when they host Canterbury.

``It would've been good to get rid of the embarrassment straight away,'' acknowledged Norths prop Aaron Trinder.

``But on the other hand, at least having the extra week will give us time out to focus on our next game and be a bit more prepared for it.

``We'll certainly have something to prove now we don't want to see a scoreline like that again this season.''

According to Trinder, the Bears' biggest blight on Saturday was ``a lot of one on one missed tackles''.

He also paid tribute to their opponents for playing ``the perfect game in the first half.''

The Cougars achieved the rare distinction of completing every set of six tackles in the first 40 minutes (17 from 17), while Norths let themselves down with their handling.

The much heavier workload in defence proved a drain in the last 15 minutes of the match, when St Marys-Penrith inflated the scoreline with a four-try flurry.

As expected, Norths players received a red-hot blast from coach Josh White, who promised a gruelling week of training as punishment.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slats06 wrote:
Dan Russell's kicking in general play was not the problem... the problem is the lack of motivation in the rest of the team to chase the kick. Dan Russell and Black need to work together and thats just not happening.

Yes, the chasing after the kicks was poor - I forgot to mention that - but having many of the kicks go straight to an opposing player didn't help NS's cause. Often the St Marys player didn't even have to move, the kick went straight to him and the lack of pressure from Norths made it very easy. It's just something to work on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: