Round 10 - Norths vs. Balmain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Round 10 - Norths vs. Balmain Reply with quote

Both games are being played at North Sydney Oval this Saturday 13th of May.

Premier League - 4.00pm
1. Richard Retimana
2. Karl Johnson
3. Daniel Watkins
4. Filinga Filiga
5. Andrew Moodie
6. Daniel Russell (c)
7. James Maloney
8. Bede Tuohy
9. Ben Ellis
10. Eddie Sua
11. Scott Perrin
12. Casey Ellis
13. Luke Fatnowna

14. Ryan Russell
15. Brad Domek
16. Aaron Trinder
17. Ben Black
18. Anthony Beare
20. Chris Saab

- Well done to James Maloney on his promotion to Premier League. He has been playing well in Jersey Flegg.
- Don't be surprised if Ryan Shortland, Ben Cross, Jamie Feeney and Matthew Bartlett are all included in the Bears line-up. Chris Walker could also be included if he is not used by the Storm were he has been named 19th man.
- A bit of a shake up to the team with Ben Black and Aaron Trinder put back to the bench for the first time this year.

Jersey Flegg - 2.30pm
1. Daniel Phillips
2. Matt McDougall
3. Paddy Kilmurray
4. Chris Heasman
5. Ryan Wilson
6. Bladen Baird
7. Gavin Duncan
8. Pio Rokomaqisa
9. Sean Bovis
10. Arnold Mano
11. Tala AhFa
12. Michael Morris
13. Chris Dears

14. Mafi Lolohea
15. Tupo Peaua
16. Tim McDonald
17. Liam Foran
18. Blayne Davis
19. James Vainakolo
20. Michael Jones
21. Jason Saliba

- Hopefully they will be able to overcome the loss of their captain James Maloney to Jersey Flegg.
- I'm sure Gavin Duncan will be able to step up to the plate for this game. I think he will be a very good player for us this season he was playing Club Rugby Union for Penrith at the start of the year. He represented NSW All Schools in 2003 and 2004 and has been a member of the Australian Development squad as well as being an emergency reserve for Australia A.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premier League

Referee: Gerard Sutton

Balmain Ryde Eastwood
1. Shannon McDonnell
2. Ben Jeffery
3. Keith Eshman
4. Michael Crockett
5. Taniela Tuiaki
6. Sam Harris
7. Ben Reynolds
8. Keith Galloway
9. Stuart Flanagan
10. Stacey Katu
11. Jarrod Saffy
12. Tevita Metuisela
13. Bronson Harrison

14. Tommy Gemmel
15. Rangi Chase
16. Corey Niwa
17. Jamie Nowland

Jersey Flegg

Balmain
1. Dean McGrath
2. Samu Wara
3. Robert Chauvet
4. Gavin Cowan
5. Chance Bunce
6. Steve Moses
7. Marc Russell
8. Corey Kinsella
9. Luke Fahy
10. Ewen Cameron
11. Rod Griffen
12. Mitchell Stanfield
13. Jarrod Farlow

14. Mafoa Filipi
15. Dean Jamieson
16. Atelea Vew
18. Brendan Rawlings
21. Alan Shirnack
Owen Legg
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tigers have an impressive team listed for ths weekend. Lets hope our Mighty Bears lift their game. We need a win to stay in touch. With possibly Jamie Feeney, Matt Bartlett, Chris Walker, Ryan Shortland and Ben Cross to come on board we may spring a win. Good luck lads.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are as good as gone on Saturday. Gerard Sutton is listed to be the referee for the game.
Owen Legg
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have seen him referee one game - my views of him as a ref aren't much to sing about. Anyway lets keep a positive view we still have a chance.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our players will need to make sure they don't give Sutton any opportunity to penalise us. Also we need to make sure we make no mistakes.
B4L
Weekend Bear
Weekend Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Ben Black go to the bench? but lets hope the Bears can have a win.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North Sydney Bears were thoroughly outplayed in both Premier League and Jersey Flegg this arvo.

Bears Premier League line-up was:
21. Chris Walker
2. Karl Johnson
4. Filinga Filiga
23. Ryan Shortland
5. Andrew Moodie
6. Daniel Russell
7. James Maloney
10. Eddie Sua
9. Ben Ellis
22. Ben Cross
13. Luke Fatnowna
12. Casey Ellis
3. Daniel Watkins

Bench:
16. Aaron Trinder
20. Chris Saab
15. Brad Domek
14. Ryan Russell

Brief overview:
BRET scored first to lead by 6. The Bears hit back when Chris Walker offloaded to Ryan Shortland to score. Daniel Russell missed the conversion. The Tigers scored 4 more tries in the half to lead 30-4 at halftime.
The Tigers scored 3 tries after the halftime break before the Bears were able to score two in a row. The first came when Maloney made a break, he passed to Ben Ellis who was backing up and he scored. Daniel Russell converted. Next try came after the Bears were awarded a penalty in attacking position. In the next set the Bears spread the ball out wide to right-winger Daniel Watkins who scored. James Maloney converted. The Tigers were able to score 1 more try to make the final score 48-16.

Despite the lopsided score line there were some good individual performances.
Chris Walker saved a few tries with some good defence and was dangerous in attack.
Ben Cross played the full 80 minutes, which is outstanding from a prop. He ran hard with the ball and hit hard in defence.
James Maloney had a good game in his Premier League debut.
Ryan Shortland, Karl Johnson, Eddie Sua and Filinga Filiga didnít play to badly.

It was disappointing to see that Jamie Feeney wasnít playing for Melbourne tonight. The Bears could have really used him today. It was a bit unfair on Daniel Watkins to have him playing lock and he struggled there before being moved to the wing.
Melbourne beat the Cowboys in the top of the table clash and is now coming first. Ian Donnelly was outstanding for them.

In Jersey Flegg there were a few changes to the team list after 6 players were brought in from the Asquith Magpies. Three of them played in the Bears Jersey Flegg team last year (Mansour, Watson and Horan).

1. Mick Mansour - Asquith
2. Matt McDougall
6. Blayden Baird
3. Mark Murphy - Asquith
4. Chris Heasman
23. Reece Watson - Asquith
7. Gavin Duncan
8. Pio Rokomaqisa
13. Chris Dears
20. Nathan McKay - Asquith
10. Arnold Mano
12. Michael Morris
22. Brad McLevy - Asquith

Bench:
25. Paul Horan - Asquith
14. Mafi Lolohea
11. Tala Ahfa
17. Liam Foran

Brief Overview:
The Bears scored first when Mark Murphy made a strong run. Mick Mansour converted. Balmain fought back to lead 16-6 at halftime.
In the second half Balmain scored 4 tries before Arnold Mano scored for the Bears running wide on the left. Balmain scored 1 more try and won 42-10.

I was a bit disappointed in the final score. We should have done better with the extra players from Asquith. I hope they will be available in the future. Although they were most likely given to us because Asquith Jim Beam Cup had the bye last weekend and there is a competition bye this weekend. Mark Murphy is actually Asquithís captain and I thought he showed some good form today, while McKay and Horan are both giant props and gave us some much needed size, Mansour is a gifted attacking player and Watson showed last year that he is a talented player. Itís hard to understand why these players arenít playing Jersey Flegg from the start of the season.

Last edited by girvie on Sun May 14, 2006 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A disappointing result for the Bears. It has now been back to back poor performances and a lack of enthusiasm from the players.

I am not sure whether the starting line up was the best for the team. I question Daniel Watkins playing at lock. He is not a big player and missed a couple of tackles which lead to BRET's first two tries. Also with Fatnowna playing in the second row, that only left Cross, Sua and Casey Ellis as running forwards (with Ben Ellis at hooker). In my opinion we need as many running forwards as possible to try to dominate the ruck. I'd be putting Chris Saab and Brad Domek in starting line up. We need more punch up front and one thing Saab doesn't lack is enthusiasm.

I thought that James Maloney had a reasonable game, he did not hide and got his hands on the ball and took on the line. I think he is looking to be a very promising player.

Chris Walker did a great job in defense. There is no doubt the scoreline would have been great (in BRET's favour) if he was not there. On numerous occasions BRET made breaks but somehow Walker broke up the play.

I can't really say that BRET outclassed up with great play. Numerous breaks were made by one out running.

It is going to be tough to turn it around, but hopefully with Feeney back next week, the players can put up an improved performance against Manly.
KC
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we are missing a ball playing forward. One that can offload quite often. Last season we had Alex Chan playing for us as well as Anthony Kiro.
Ball security is very important but maybe they should be trying to get the ball away a bit more.
Feeney is pretty good at it. Ben Ross is a very damaging runner but I don't think he looks at offloading enough.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we will have Feeney next week and we will probably lose Walker as well because Matt King and Cameron Smith will miss Melbourne's game when they are selected for Origin and Greg Inglis and Dallas Johnson are also a chance of being called up to Qld's Origin team.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i forgot to mention was Michael Harper is back from injury and was on the bench but wasn't used. Hopefully he will get a run next week.

Also i just found out number 22 in Jersey Flegg was Brad McLevy.
Owen Legg
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like our defence is letting us down big time - better turn it around quick or another year we have to wait. We need to foster our relationship with the Storm better. That is our current situation - they are the path for the Bears to play NRL. We need to ensure that players coming to the Bears see that opportunity. Once again another dissapointing performance. Lets hope next week is the start of our turnaround.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a pretty disappointing effort from the Bears in both grades. Given that only a few weeks ago, North Sydney lost to the Tigers by 20-18 with the winning try conceded in the closing stages, you've got to wonder what has happened. The Tigers weren't that great, although they attacked the line hard and fast, whereas North Sydney's attack was softer and slower, more hesitant. And our defence was woeful - Balmain scored too many tries that should have been stopped.

I didn't think there were too many standouts, although many players did good things. Chris Walker's defence has lifted - I've always thought his attack was dynamic, but have shaken my head at the poor quality of his tackling and defensive positional play. It looks as if he's worked on both aspects. He saved at least two tries and made a length of the field chase which didn't stop the try but kept the scorer out wide. Given that the conversion attempt hit the post, his effort saved another two points.

Ben Ellis had a good workrate and leads by example. His try was the result of great support play. Ben Cross had a lot of hitups, although had tired by the end (no wonder in that). I was impressed by James Maloney in his debut appearance in Premier League. He played with confidence and was not afraid to try things. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Ben Black combine. Ryan Shortland did some good stuff, and Dan Russell's kicking in play improved greatly since the game against the Cougars (but Scott Hill is the benchmark - no criticism of Russell there, just an observation - Hill is a player with vast representative experience so you'd expect him to be the benchmark). Special mention of Aaron Trinder who at one stage had four players shoving him towards the touchline, but he managed to shake them all off and run another 15 metres.

As for Jersey Flegg, it was great to see us open the scoring, but overall an unimpressive effort. North Sydney did not covert their attacks in points, and too many Balmain tries came from North Sydney mistakes - missed tackles, a penalty not finding touch, giving away ill disciplined penalties, making tackles but allowing the player to get the ball away, dropped balls.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.northshoretimes.com.au/article/2006/05/16/1073_sports.html

Blundering Bears to get back to basics
David Rowlands

16May06

FORMER State of Origin star Chris Walker believes there is no option for North Sydney's beleaguered Premier League side other than to go back to basics in the wake of a disastrous fortnight.

The Bears looked like they may have turned the corner when they annihilated Canterbury in late April, but since then their fortunes have swung 180-degrees via heavy back-to-back defeats.

Saturday's 48-16 loss to Balmain at North Sydney Oval was a far cry from when the Tigers needed a late try to pip them by two points in mid-March, but was almost identical to their poor showing in Newcastle last weekend.

Once again, the Bears' commitment was hibernating in the first half and they went to lemons with 30 points against their name.

At least this time, they had produced something in reply, courtesy of an unconverted try to centre Ryan Shortland, which followed Balmain's opening of the scoring after just two minutes.

Then the floodgates opened, with the visitors touching down four times in the space of just under 20 minutes.

Whereas Norths boasted seven Melbourne Storm players against the Bulldogs including ex-Australian utility Scott Hill this time they had just two in Shortland and Walker.

The evidence is overwhelming that the fortunes of the Bears, one of league's foundation clubs, are inextricably linked to an eight-year-old outfit based just over a 1000km away in a city famed for another football code.

However Walker believes the Bears can survive on their own resources, providing they adhere to the fundamentals.

As the most experienced player in the side, Walker took it upon himself to address his shattered team-mates in the middle of North Sydney Oval as they warmed down from Saturday's game and stressed the need for ``keeping their heads up''.

``If (coach) Josh (White) and the boys can stick together and keep working hard, then things will turn around,'' Walker said.

``Defence is the key and we slipped away from that today.''

He said Balmain provided an example of that philosophy because ``their defence was rock-solid and we threw everything at them''.

The Bears head to Brookvale Oval on Saturday night and Walker thinks that the timing of this meeting with their arch-rivals could snap them from the slump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: