Norths Vs Newtown Big Brawl - Amco Cup?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morton Bay Fig
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Norths Vs Newtown Big Brawl - Amco Cup? Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the Bears Vs Jets wild brawl from about 1977/78. I recall it was one of the ugliest on record. I remember Glen Boatswain ripping in!. I think it was the Amco Cup or a Wills Cup Game. I'm pretty sure its was a night and was a TV Game. Is it in the Bears Video's? Unfortunately it was before anyone had a Home VCR/Beta to record.
woodenspoon
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Norths Vs Newtown Big Brawl - Amco Cup? Reply with quote

Morton Bay Fig wrote:
Does anyone remember the Bears Vs Jets wild brawl from about 1977/78. I recall it was one of the ugliest on record. I remember Glen Boatswain ripping in!. I think it was the Amco Cup or a Wills Cup Game. I'm pretty sure its was a night and was a TV Game. Is it in the Bears Video's? Unfortunately it was before anyone had a Home VCR/
Beta to record.

Think it was an AMCO cup match in 76 ?
malabi
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How weird. I was thinking of that brawl last night when I was watching the semis. I remember the comment made that night or soon after - I think by Frank Hyde - that the Man-of-the-Match award should have gone to Mal MacLachlan and he was the ONLY player not involved in the brawl.

Yes, it was a Wednesday night game, most likely with Keith Barnes as one of the commentators? Who was the other one back then? Was it Ray Warren?

Players were spread out in various parts of the field. It was a beauty. Very Happy

I think we may have lost that game, but not 100% sure about that.

EDIT: Channel 10 would have done the game, maybe they have an archives section where the video could be obtained from?
woodenspoon
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malabi wrote:
How weird. I was thinking of that brawl last night when I was watching the semis. I remember the comment made that night or soon after - I think by Frank Hyde - that the Man-of-the-Match award should have gone to Mal MacLachlan and he was the ONLY player not involved in the brawl.

Yes, it was a Wednesday night game, most likely with Keith Barnes as one of the commentators? Who was the other one back then? Was it Ray Warren?

Players were spread out in various parts of the field. It was a beauty. Very Happy

EDIT: Channel 10 would have done the game, maybe they have an archives section where the video could be obtained from?
In regards to channel 10 and that Amco cup game, well i know that some absolute moron wiped some of the tapes. I was in contact with Richard Bradley the Norths doco guy and i inquired about footage of the channel 10 cup win in 78. Anyway he told me that channel 10 had wiped plenty pf tapes in their archives.
Can you imagine the fool who made that decision, what a hero he is.
malabi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodenspoon wrote:
malabi wrote:

In regards to channel 10 and that Amco cup game, well i know that some absolute moron wiped some of the tapes. I was in contact with Richard Bradley the Norths doco guy and i inquired about footage of the channel 10 cup win in 78. Anyway he told me that channel 10 had wiped plenty pf tapes in their archives.
Can you imagine the fool who made that decision, what a hero he is.

I think that Ch10 have an awful reputation when it comes to sport. They stuff up Bathurst when they have it (i.e going to a commercial on Lap 2), they never get the Cricket and they were the first to reduce the Sunday Rugby League replay (AAMI match of the day) to a pathetic amount of time in the mid 90s.

That brawl Bears -v- Jets is etched into my mind. The sight of Mal MacLachlan standing on his own miles from the various fights taking place is something that I will never forget.
northern bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the first game that video evidence was used to convict and suspend players.
unbearable
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, lock Steve Coleman copped a broken jaw in that one?
norths_makin11
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheh talkin about the amco cup brawl in 76 norths Vs newtown i forget what really happen but it started between paul haywood and my uncle neville makin and john gray.
if anyone has got videos tapes etc...
let me know

sorry if this news is late
late nev makin passed away on the 12.3.2007 in bellawongarah near berry down the south coast, berry rural fire brigade named a fire truck arfter him the "big nev"

played between 75 to 77 played 23games and scored 2trys
he was a true blue and honest man that would go out of his way for people.

thanks.. phil

norths_makin11
woodenspoon
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norths_makin11 wrote:
heheh talkin about the amco cup brawl in 76 norths Vs newtown i forget what really happen but it started between paul haywood and my uncle neville makin and john gray.
if anyone has got videos tapes etc...
let me know

sorry if this news is late
late nev makin passed away on the 12.3.2007 in bellawongarah near berry down the south coast, berry rural fire brigade named a fire truck arfter him the "big nev"

played between 75 to 77 played 23games and scored 2trys
he was a true blue and honest man that would go out of his way for people.

thanks.. phil

norths_makin11

Neville Makin, sad to hear.

As a kid in 77 i remember the footy card of Neville Makin which
came to life for me as an 8 year old.

The card shows Neville with the ball against Balmain from memory.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's been a query sent through about the AMCO cup, just trying to find the venue for the 1974 game on July 3rd where the Bears lost to Northern Division 19-14..anyone know.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Division 19 (4t, 2g) d North Sydney 14 (P Burgess 2t, B Warwick 4g) at Leichardt oval
woodenspoon
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwbea wrote:
Northern Division 19 (4t, 2g) d North Sydney 14 (P Burgess 2t, B Warwick 4g) at Leichardt oval

Just a query, but Western Division made the final in 74. is it possible therefore that Western Division beat us as opposed to Northern Division?
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there were Western, Northern & Southern Division teams. Northern Division beat us and then were beaten by Penrith in the quarter finals.

Country rugby league was a lot stronger back then.

Norths were knocked out of the Amco Cup by Toowoomba in 1975

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Amco_Cup
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guys thanks for that, we thought it was Leichhardt just checking though.. cheers.
woodenspoon
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwbea wrote:
No, there were Western, Northern & Southern Division teams. Northern Division beat us and then were beaten by Penrith in the quarter finals.

Country rugby league was a lot stronger back then.

Norths were knocked out of the Amco Cup by Toowoomba in 1975

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Amco_Cup

Thanks for that.

On the Amco cup topic, a couple of years ago I was having a chat with Noel Kelly and he was saying that he thought we were going to win that 76 final.
He mentioned " that bastard" (laughing as hr said it) Lockwood got his hands free to offload for someone to score etc.
I'd met Noel before through work and he was always up for a chat about Norths. Extremely honest and friendly and was surprised when he remembered my name!

Reminded me of a great chat I once had with Brian Norton another totally approachable and straightforward man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: