Glory Years 1921-22 pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodiaks
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes come out on wednesdays ..they are all at the State Library on microfilm.. spend days there..it's helping a lot of my research out thats for sure..I'll have to check but I think this article you put up is 1922 we won both premiership and city cup that year.and 1920 won the city cup.. 21 the premiership..also Im pretty sure Duncan Thompson captained in 22 and harold horder in 21..
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I have done the same with Souths history. Anyway this was one in the 'scrapbook' but I cannot date it- any ideas?
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 15th of July 1922 at the SCG Norths beat Glebe 16-15, I have Baker scoring 2,Blinkhorn 1 and Horder 1.. Thompson kicked 2 goals.. this could be the game.

North Sydney- fullback Norm.Proctor; 3/4 Harold.Horder, Frank Rule, Herman Peters,Cec Blinkhorn 1/2 Dallas Hodgins, Duncan Thompson: Forwards Reg Farnell, George Green, Jack Baker, Alf Faull, James Pye, Chris McGrath.

Glebe- Fullback J Murphy,3/4s C Ogle,T James, E Summers, J Toohey 1/2s P Regan, W Benson, Forwards; P Coll, W Haddock, T McGrath ,J Redmond, B Gray, F Burge..

yes this definitley looks like the game Norths scored first and then James scored to equal it up, after looking at the original match report..solved.. at the time this match went down as the match of the season..

"Horder was first to score after recieving a pass from Thompson"

this is the game.15/7/1922.
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that- you sound like a fund of information. I was reading about on another thread about some inquiries about a player named Waterhouse. I found his name on a 1921 program and a picture in a game. I don't know if it is the same person. Sooo here is the toughie, what game is this picture from? Could it be possible to work it out?

Kodiaks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is great stuff CB , by all accounts this photo was taken on 14.7.1923.Waterhouse is Henry Waterhouse,(Born Nov 1899) who played for the Shoreman from 1917 to 1927.. he also was one of the youngest players when joined the top grade in 1917, at only 17 years of age..he went on to play for NSW..Henry also was a life member for the North Sydney club and I think also got into the administration when retired. in this photo he is in No 15 jersey in our premiership year of 21 he was in the No. 17 jersey..didn't play in the 8 premiership rounds, but was always on the bench,, he will be added to the 1921 commerotive jersey next year we are organising for our 90th anniversary of our 1st premiership next year as he was in the team...others in the photo dallas hodgins, come across from the Mosman RU club, in 1919 I believe..also in the photo is Reg Farnell and Jack Baker.. both long term stalwarts of the Norths Shoreman..for a number of years..

The teams on that day. North Sydney 27 beat wests 12

North Sydney- fullback Duncan Thompson,3/4 Henry Waterhouse, Frank Rule,Herman Peters, Jack(Possum) Courtney 1/2 Dallas Hodgins, Alan Steele, Forwards F Chevell, G Johnson,Jack Baker, Jonathon (Clarrie) Ives, Reg Farnell, Alf Faull

Western Suburbs- fullback F McMillan,3/4 G Stettler, N Matterson, F Yanz,W Collins 1/2 C Fifield,R Drake, Forwards J Drew, C Prentice, H Courtney, E Stapleton, L Yanz,W,J Leddy..

referee: T McMahon (only coz he's in the photo) Smile

Henry Waterhouse was usually the Fullback, and during this game when they were under the pump a bit, Henry did move back to Fullback and Steele to the wing and thompson "back to his customary position behind the scrum".. paid off because they won in the end.. Duncan was suffering a shoulder injurty thats why he was at fullback initally.. and with Horder and Blinkhorn out it was going to be a tough ask, but the shoreman prevailed

Herman Peters 3 tries,Reg farnell , Alan Steele 1 try a piece, Dallas Hodgins 6 goals..(gees Dallas could of used you last night against auckland) Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Kodiaks on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the number on the back is Black or possibly Red..?? oh and tackled not by "Dark" but by Drake..keep them coming CB they are great..
malabi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the unbiased and professional journalism of the time.

Compare that to the Daily Telegraph of today.
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I am going to stump you one day. Here goes. Back in those days they would have a cartooner draw funny little cartoons about the previous week's games in Rugby League News. I have selected one with the main game being a Norths game. Name the game ( sounds like a TV show)

malabi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in the pram is Steve Matai?
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Tom Wright played for the Norths team in the late 20s early 30s.. now by the looks of the jersey thats early 30s probably 30/31.. as they changed to the butcher strip after that in 32 I believe..also st george are there, they come into the comp in 21, so way past that and also Uni is there.. and Glebe are gone, Glebe finished up in 29 season, so I'm looking at 31....

also Hanley,T Beaumont and Carroll played in the 31 side..

after a bit of digging got it, It was round 7.. 27.6.1931...

this cartoon did solve a bit of a problem for me though.. I was trying to work out when Norths changed from the 3 thick Black stripes i thought maybe during the 20s after the premierships.. but they still had the 3 thick stripes until they went to Butcher stripe by the looks of this cartoon.. and they started the thick stripe in 1913/1914 from what I can work out.. I'll locate some more team photos from that era, and know for sure...

if you look at the bunnies jersey they have 4 stripes on the sleeve Norths just the 3...
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah you're a legend. Ok I haven't given up yet. here is another cartoon with a Norths flavour - against Balmain.

Kodiaks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much to go on here..but I'll have a go, I was actually looking at this article only 2 nights ago at the leagues club in the archives.. and thought gees I hope CB doesn't ask me this one..

Cec Blinkhorn played top grade for the Shoreman from 1914 season until 1918 season I think went to souths in 1919 for a year, but I have to check that, and then played 1920 to 1923 season..for Norths again.. also if the "Rule" refers to Frank Rule he began playing for Norths in 1920
, the Ref is William WEBBY Neill reffed them against balmain in may 1921; may 1922(Didn't score so this one is out) ;july 1922; and july 1923. and Blinkhorn did score in 3 of those games, but doesn't say he scored here, but Frank Rule and Blinkie only scored in 1 of these games and that was may 21..but once again it doens't say if either of them scored in this game.. no I think just not enough info at the moment to make an accurate date.. unless I can find the original cartoon.. possibly in rugby league news at the time.. which began in 1920.. so that could narrow it down again..I'll see what i can come up with.. but at the moment..I'm stumped. Smile
I'm looking at 3 games 14th May 1921, 22ndJuly 1922,and 28th july 1923..so narrowing it down..

14/5/21 was played at the Sports ground Norths won 17-9
22/7/22 was played atsports ground won by Norths 8-7
28/7/23 was played SCG won by balmain 16-13

In the match report of the game 24/7/22 it specifically mentions Blinkhorn fending off Love and running down the side line to score a try..and Norths did score first in this game, and held on to win by 1 point..this might be it..
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought I would throw thisone in. Not strictly glory days but just before it.

Kodiaks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which magazine is this from.. I don't think it's rugby league news, i thought that first started in 1920. and doesn't look like "the Referee..I would be interested to see if RLN started before 1920..
is it "NSWRL Premiership" was that a magazine.. i would like to know more about it..
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is from a publication called
'Football annual'. It was first and only I think published in 1920. It had the editor as 'The Cynic' of the Referee. It had all sports included but was mainly rugby league. I can post a picture of the cover if you like. It was the book that was used as a scrapbook by the Norths supporter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: