Edward (ted)McIntyre 1908 wallaby/North Sydney 1914-17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodiaks
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Edward (ted)McIntyre 1908 wallaby/North Sydney 1914-17 Reply with quote

A big find and a mystery solved today.for a long time people weren't sure what happened to Ed McIntyre who was from orange, I think the story goes,he was kicked out of the wallabies side in 1909 as been giving 100 pounds to play in a kangaroos /wallabies game .

this was deemed as professionalism and was dropped from the wallabies and RU.. in recent times many were unsure what happened to McIntyre..until we located the 1916 North Sydney team photo recently.. A player by the name of E McIntyre played for Norths from 1914 - 1917.. but was it the same one..??

today I receieved a photo of McIntyre from David Middleton from his wallabies days.. and yes and exact fit.... David was very excited about this, as he has been trying to verify this for some time..

As for what happened to Ed between 1909 and 1914 still remains a bit of a mystery but he did join Norths for the 1914 season so another mystery solved but a lot more to go..but as I keep locating the team photos more is being revealed.. Go The Bears..(still have to sort out the G Green issue) I have sent the photo of the 1912 Norths team to our moderators here, hoping we can get it up soon

Also Ted Mcintyre was credited as introducing Herman Peters to the club...
Flutterbye
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted McIntyre's football career was impacted by family responsibilities.

He married Mary "May" Fardell in 1908 in Orange before he left with the Wallaby team. His first son, Lawrence was born 1909. On 14 April 1910, Edward McIntyre and Thomas Fardell (Jnr), his father in law, became partners in a general store called “Fardell & McIntyre” located on the Corner of Byng and McLachlan Streets, East Orange.

Second son, John “Jackie” Thomas McIntyre was born 17 Jun 1911 at Orange and third child daughter, Marie Ellen McIntyre was born 4 Aug 1912 at Orange.

After the death of his partner-father in law in 1915 and the sale of the business, Ted, his family including his mother in law, moved to Cammeray Sydney. When two of his sister in laws died in 1925 and 1927 he took in two baby daughters to raise (one of these girls was my mother).

During and after the depression Ted and May housed and supported three other children related to his wife when times were too tough for the parents.

Ted and May McIntyre must have been very strong and resolute to support so many during those bad times.

Thursday March 9 1972: A newspaper article published in the Daily Telegraph, Thursday (Interview written by Mike Gibson):

“Ted McIntyre was celebrating his 89th birthday. He was living in a hospital at Greenwich and was the last surviving member of the first Wallaby team to tour the British Isles. Ted’s team sailed to England on the RMS Omrah Ted lived a long life, I believe he was about 91 yrs of age when he died”.

Ted died 12 July 1974 age 91.

Am happy to send full family research on Ted including photos of him at family weddings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: