North Sydney 1979

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: North Sydney 1979 Reply with quote

A mate has given me a number of mags from the middle to late 70s and I thought i might do few scans of Norths stuff. I am going to sell the ones that have no Souths stuff over time. Where was the picture of the team taken?

Kodiaks
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of a treat that one CB.. I think the photo might be taken at tunks Pk.. but not sure..I havent seen this poster before so it's a good find..this was the first year we wore that jersey..lokking forward to see other posters..
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another article about the captain of the same year.

Kodiaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrible year 1979 for the Bears the last time we finished with the wooden spoon in the top grade..infact the 70s in general weren't kind to the Bears, started off with Kenny leaving for Manly and ended with the woodenspoon.., at least the 80s gave the Bears a glimmer of hope again, and then the 90s we powered on..just think what we would have done in the noughties if we had of been left alone to play out in the NRL..
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the golden era of Akka Forbes in the 70's.

Players who had received offers from other clubs mid year were told to wait until the end of the season before Norths would negotiate.

With good management that 79 team should have included John Gray, Bruce Walker, Barry Wood, Paul Vautin and the Cleal brothers.

What could have been?
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwbea wrote:
With good management that 79 team should have included John Gray, Bruce Walker, Barry Wood, Paul Vautin and the Cleal brothers.

In his autobiography, Paul Vautin says that he was all lined up to play for North Sydney but Norths wouldn't pay a transfer fee to Vautin's Brisbane club. I didn't know the Cleal brothers could have been Bears as well.
cnbhs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't heard that about Noel or Les either, but wouldn't be hard to believe.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Bill Hamilton, who had moved on to the committee, had them lined up, but Tommy Bishop didn't rate them. Probably because they weren't part of his "all conquering" Illawarra team.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

results for the 70s

1970= 9th from 12

1971=11th from 12

1972=9th from 12

1973=8th from 12

1974= 6th from 12 (must of been a good year) Very Happy

1975=9th from 12

1976=11th from 12

1977=8th from 12

1978=11th from 12

1979= 12th from 12

sad thing is this is the decade most remember the Bears from..this and the 1910s was the only decade we didnt make finals..
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodiaks wrote:
sad thing is this is the decade most remember the Bears from..this and the 1910s was the only decade we didnt make finals..

I remember the 1970s, I started following the Bears in the late 1960s although I can't remember exactly how old I was. I stopped following footy closely in the late 1970s when I started getting into music. In 1982 I heard that Norths had made the finals - I couldn't believe it. I went to the game at the SCG, first game I'd been to for a few years. I lived in Crown Street Surry Hills so I just popped over. The things I remember from that day are that we lost - disappointing although it was great to see them in a finals game - and my shock at seeing the jerseys. I still hate that design although I know for some fans it's their favourite. Too much red.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982 was the first year I began following the bears, i was in brisbane, and we never really followed the sydney comp, as we had the brisbane comp which was going along fine..but I saw the Bears playing on tv at a pub one time against parra, and thought how much I liked the red and black. and thats what got me in..but didnt become a full on supporter until moved to sydney in the mid 80s..
angrybear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan O'Laighin wrote:
Kodiaks wrote:

I remember the 1970s, I started following the Bears in the late 1960s although I can't remember exactly how old I was. I stopped following footy closely in the late 1970s when I started getting into music. In 1982 I heard that Norths had made the finals - I couldn't believe it. I went to the game at the SCG, first game I'd been to for a few years. I lived in Crown Street Surry Hills so I just popped over. The things I remember from that day are that we lost - disappointing although it was great to see them in a finals game - and my shock at seeing the jerseys. I still hate that design although I know for some fans it's their favourite. Too much red.

I was at this semi too - v Manly, I was 7. Remember it clearly, disappointing result obviously.
woodenspoon
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwbea wrote:
Apparently Bill Hamilton, who had moved on to the committee, had them lined up, but Tommy Bishop didn't rate them. Probably because they weren't part of his "all conquering" Illawarra team.

Darrell Brohman told me he had verbally agreed to come to Norths that same year. Being from Queensland he asked if he could first have a look around the Nth Sydney district. Bishop told him not to waste his time and that was that. A talented ball playing forward was lost to Norths due to Tommy Bishops ego and pathetic man management skills.
Then again, Akka Forbes was running the show back then and couldn't hang on to any decent player.
malabi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pic was taken at Tunks. I used to watch the Bears train all the time back in those days and kick the ball around with the ballboys (Bill Wallace and Kevin Marr).

Funny looking at that photo of Gibbo. He looks the same 33 years on (which is a mixed blessing I guess).

Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: