Henry "Joe" Hedge 1909-1912

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodiaks
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Henry "Joe" Hedge 1909-1912 Reply with quote

just wanted to make mention of a player for North Sydney RL who come from Norths Rugby Union, by the name of Henry"Joe" Hedge.

the Hedges were a family of 8 who had a lot of connection with Norths from 1908 and before that members of the family were involved with the North Sydney (Burrough) rugby union ,of which 1903 team photo ;a copy recently turned up in my inbox with 2nd eldest boy Bill hedge being the secretary.

other Hedge siblings were involved with the Neutral Bay Junior Norths RL club, but Joe played 1st grade for the North RL club.. So?? you might say..

well in 1906 Young Joe just 2 days before his 19th Bday, lost his left hand in a machine work accident. not to be deterred Joe went on to continue to play football, being rewarded eventually with playing 1st grade for Norths RL squad in 1909-1912..

the importance of this amazing achievement has finally be recognised now .It has not gone unnoticed with a new disability RL competition starting up in Sydney, initially there will be 4 teams with Norths fielding a team called the Pirates, I believe was the name Flo mentioned.they teams will be playing for the Joe Hedge trophy..

fortunately I have had the opportunity to discuss all this with Joes Grandson.who initially sent Norths the photo of his Grandfather , and Brent passed onto me.. Sean Fagan and David Middleton also got involved then,and George who was the driving force behind this worthwhile competition..why the media havent picked up this story is beyond me.

I can also say the Hedge descendents are extremely honoured and happy to have Joes name live on this way, which could have easily been lost to history.. Love being a Bear..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: