Info on Ho Kei Lau, or picture of the 1998 Jersey Flegg team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kallikak
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Info on Ho Kei Lau, or picture of the 1998 Jersey Flegg team Reply with quote

Hello,

My daughter is doing a primary school assignment on Chinese Australians and has been asked to research Ho Kei Lau as a Chinese Rugby League player. He played hooker in the victorious 1998 North Sydney Jersey Flegg side, but given that was quite long ago and also that he didn't play first grade, we have been able to find only a small amount of information. I'd be very grateful if anyone here could provide any further info and if there are any pictures of him or of the Jersey Flegg team perhaps?

Thanks for any help,

Ken
Go Hawks
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

There would have to be photos of the team (including action shots) around. Has your daughter contacted the NSDRLFC - some contact details are at www.northsydneybears.com.au/abo-juniordistrictclubs.html. (On a separate point, I note that Lane Cove Tigers needs to be added to the list of clubs.)

Girvie made a brief mention of Ho Kei Lau in a post on the League Unlimited forum a few years ago - http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/archive/index.php/t-157224.html - where he says:
girvie wrote:
24-10-2006, 01:52 PM
...... Ho Kei Lau played for Norths. He was Chinese background.

He was the hooker when Norths won Jersey Flegg in 1998 and played Premier League for Norths between 1999 and 2001.

I heard he was a good tough player.

He must have been pretty tough if he stepped up to Premier League. I have Big Leagues for 2000 and 2001 but I don't think I've put them into spreadsheets yet.

TMB has had a couple of short posts on the 1998 side:
* www.mightybears.com/viewtopic.php?t=4602&sid=ad0f9f8a06ddc5434bd2ca5264795bed and
* www.mightybears.com/viewtopic.php?t=2689&sid=ad0f9f8a06ddc5434bd2ca5264795bed.

Four members of the 1998 JF team played first grade for Norths in 1999 - Mark O'Meley (22 games) is the most well known, but others were Wes Tillot (1 game), Jamie Fitzgerald (17 games) and Dane Morgan (5 games). Scott McLean (2001, 7 games) and Joel Penny (2000 & 2001, 6 games) played first grade for Northern Eagles, as did O'Meley (2000 & 2001, 34 games). Others **may** have played first grade for other clubs.
kallikak
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Those links are pretty much all we were able to learn, and attempts to contact other places were unsuccesful. However, a quick trip to the state library this morning and 15 minutes of browsing Big League from 1998 found the team lists in volume 79 no 26 and a team photo and brief match report in volume 79 no 27. I used my phone to take pictures of the pages - if someone wants to add them to a collection connected to this site let me know and I'll forward them over.

Thanks,

Ken
JasonRain
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your daughter contacted the NSDRLFC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: