Sun 15th Aug - NS v SS @ TG Milner (PL & JF)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Sun 15th Aug - NS v SS @ TG Milner (PL & JF) Reply with quote

Both sides in action this week for a NS home game at TG Milner Field, better known as the home ground for Eastwood Rugby Club. However, it's not a bad ground to watch footy - the grandstand is right up close to the ground.

The details for the VB Premier League in the Big League are:

Round 23: North Sydney Bears v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Venue: TG Milner Field
Date: Sunday 15th August
Kick-off: 1:30 pm

North Sydney's team is:

1. Scott McLEAN (no. 4 last week)
2. Tristan RAMSAY
3. Christian HILL
4. Tarei McKENZIE (no. 15 last week)
5. Andrew BEATTIE
6. Nathan SMITH
7. Matt THURSTON (no. 13 last week)
8. Brad McLEAN
9. Ben FISHER (c)
10. David LETELE
11. Clint COURTNEY (back after missing last 2 games)
12. Namila DAVUI
13. Wayne McDADE (back after missing last week)

Interchange
14. Damon NOBLE (back after missing last week)
15. Josh MILLS back after missing last 2 games
16. Michael CHAN (no. 1 last week)
11. Paddy WILLIAMSON (no. 11 last week)

Missing from last week's squad:
Matt ROSE (no. 7 last week)
Kurt BRYANT (no. 14 last week)

Coach: Gary LARSON

An expanded squad this week after only listing 15 players for the last two rounds. Clint COURTNEY, more often found in the backline, is in the pack while Matt THURSTON has been moved from the scrum to halfback. He has been no. 6 at least a couple of times this year.

Souths is currently on 20 pts, 3 behind 8th placed Newtown. I said last week that I though NS was in with a chance, and I still think that was a fair call despite the final scoreline. It was 6-0 quite a way into the first half, and I don't know what made the Bears fall apart. So this week, I hope they'll be looking to find form. Desopite expectations after last week's thrashing by Wests-Tigers, only two members of last week's team are in Premier League this week - Mark Christensen (no. 2) and Owen Craigie (no. 6). Aaron Summers who played for NS in PL in 2003 is at no. 14.

The details for the Jersey Flegg in the Big League are:

Round 23: North Sydney Bears v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Venue: TG Milner Field
Date: Sunday 15th August
Kick-off: 12:00 noon

North Sydney's team is:

1. John RUSSELL
2. Josh LEWIS
3. Sema MATAORA (no. 4 in Round 21)
4. James DONLAN (no. 3 in Round 21)
5. Mahana TAI
6. Bryce POISEL
7. Brett LAW
8. Bobby BRIGHT
9. Tim WOODBINE
10. Cheyne TICKLE
11. Lee TE MAARI (recently signed by St George-Illawarra for 2005)
12. Mitch FINNIGAN (c)
13. Nathan WARD (no. 14 in round 21)

Interchange
14. Jacob MARTIN (no. 13 in round 21)
15. Tane TUTAKI (no. 20 in round 21)
16. Ina PAPERA (no. 19 in round 21)
22. Nathan FERGUSON (no. 22last week)
18. Scott CROSS (no. 15 in round 21)
19. Ben FRYER (no. 18 in round 21)
20. Mitch ERICKSON (no. 16 in round 21)
21. Scott HEAP (no. 24 in round 21)
22. Nathan WILSON (no. 17 in round 21)
25. Michael JOHNSON (no. 25 in round 21)

Missing from last round's squad
Chris CONDON (no. 23 last week - first absence for season)

Coach: Josh WHITE

After the week's break with a bye, NS JF starts its run home with only four games left in the season before the finals, taking on 6th placed South Sydney. NS is currently in 8th spot, 3 pts adrift of both Souths and Cronulla, so a win on Sunday will be very nice indeed. NS is on 22 pts, and has a 3 pt lead over 9th place, but this can close quickly, particularly given that Illawarra, Newcastle and Canberra are all level on 19 pts, separated only by For and Against. Wests is on 18 pts, while the challenges from St George (15 pts) and Manly (14 pts) have probably been seen off.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that Clint Courtney has found himself in the pack this week. Especially when he has been on the wing for most of the season. Probably shows that we are lacking players for the back row positions, as Namila Davui has been considerable time in the centres as well is the other second rower.

I'm afraid that I won't be able to make it to the game this week, as I'm off on a mates buck's event (he already has had heaps of events, this is just another one) playing Skirmish down Wollongong way on Sunday. I'm disappointed that I won't be there to cheer the boys on.

Hopefully we can get the mustard in both grades.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some results from other games. Hopefully they're correct - most come from ABC radio, except WS v Balmain which is from the Wests Magpies website:

Premier League
Balmain 44 df Wests 32
Cronulla 30 df Parramatta 16
St George-Illawarra 46 df Newtown 14

Jersey Flegg
Wests 40 df Balmain 16 (bit of an upset, and leaves WS still in the hunt)
Cronulla 34 df Parramatta 32 (less of an upset, but unfortunate)
Central Coast 44 df Illawarra 18 (a huge upset - now that's a good result!)

Other JF games to watch this weekend:

Canberra v Bulldogs (Sun, 11:00 AM)
Manly v Newcastle (Sun, 11:15 AM)
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABC has just said that Illawarra beat Central Coast. I thought the original result might have been a bit too good to be true.
NSO BEAR
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck to our Premier League team Crying or Very sad But what about the jersey Flegg Very Happy !!!!!

http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=814
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result for the JF boys and sounds like a great effort by the PL team.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS was about 90 seconds from winning both grades. The Bears led 20-16 in Premier League with only a minute and a half to go, when Souths went over for a try to level the scores, quickly followed by a conversion to make it 22-20. There was only enough time for two tackles after the kickoff before the final whistle went. Frustrating, but an excellent performance from the Premier League side. I'll try and get reports later today or tomorrow (I lost one page of notes from the first half of the JF game when the wind - and it was windy - blew it away).

The details:

Premier League
South Sydney 22 (5 tries; 1 goal) df
North Sydney 20 (Namila Davui, Tristan Ramsay, Brad McLean, Scott McLean tries; Scott McLean 2 goals)
Half time NS 16-4 (NS 3 tries; 2 goals)

Jersey Flegg
North Sydney 34 (Sema Mataora 2, Josh Lewis, Brett Law, Tim Woodbine, Bryce Poisel, Lee Te Maari tries; Lee Te Maari 2, John Russell goals) df
South Sydney 10 (2 tries; 1 goal)
Half time NS 20-6 (NS 4 tries; 2 goals)
NorthsBearspunx
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Jersy Flegg. We can now afford to lose a game, although it would be alot better not to. If they make the finals i should be seeing em as i will be at the roosters NRL quarter final Smile (if the roosters get 1st spot back in Premier League i may get to see Newtown as well, i went to the Newtown v Dragons game this weekend and unfortunately Newtown got flogged).
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the report for Premier League, hopefully Jersey Flegg will be later today. Despite my good intentions, I can't seem to keep these short, there always seems to be something that I want to include.

The North Sydney Bears were 90 seconds away from wins in both grades against South Sydney Rabbitohs on Sunday at TG Milner Field. Leading 20-16 in Premier League but playing against a huge wind in the second half, the Bears conceded a try just before the final siren to allow Souths to level the scores, quickly followed by SS's first successful conversion of the day to see the points snatched at the death.

NS dominated the first half, scoring three tries to have a handy 16-4 lead at half time. NS was helped by running with the wind, but the half time lead was due to the strong tackling, imaginative attack and the overall commitment shown by the side than anything else.

After conceding big scores in recent games, it would have been easy for NS to adopt a negative defensive style of play to shut down Souths, but the Bears were having nothing of it. The attack absolutely sparkled at times, with some clever kicking and some quick passing opening up gaps in the SS defence. The defence was rugged, with some big hits from Brad McLean and David Letele in particular. (I'll have to apologise to some of the players here - as I don't see that many games, I don't know the players, so I'm not always aware of who is doing the tackling.)

The first try came after about 15 minutes when a grubber was put through from dummy half and was collected by Namila Davui. The second try came shortly after and was a bit controversial with Tristan Ramsay ruled to have grounded the ball just ahead of a SS foot which booted it into the stands. I was right behind it 60 metres away and had doubts, but I wasn't complaining. A video ref would have been handy here. I'm not saying he didn't score, just that I couldn't be sure. Scott McLean put over a beautiful conversion from the touchline to make it 10-0. While McLean was lining up his shot, there was a lot of talk among the NS players about treating it as an arm wrestle and staying focussed.

At the 25 minute mark, SS got back in the game with a try following a NS knock on near the goalline. The try was scored near the posts, but the conversion was missed, leaving the score at 10-4. Both sides were making some pretty basic mistakes, and it was such an error that led to NS's third try just before half time. NS was on the attack, but lost the ball short of the line to relieve the pressure on SS. However, SS dropped the ball on the second tackle to give NS a scrum feed just 18 metres out, and it wasn't long before Brad McLean scored under the posts, with his brother Scott getting the conversion. At half time, it was 16-4.

Souths came out in the second half looking a lot more fired up than in the first half. There were some early signs that NS might break, with some loose tackles and gaps opening, but the cover defence was able to mop up well. SS's second try came after 8 minutes when they moved the ball quickly on the last tackle and scored in the corner, despite the efforts of Chris Hill to hold him out. The conversion attempt looked good off the boot, but hit the post, so the score remained 16-8.

NS's defence continued to be a bit leaky, but was complemented by excellent recovery play. Scott McLean at fullback played his part in this, pulling off some fine try-saving tackles. NS was helped when SS continued to make basic errors - the pressure on NS after an excellent 40/20 (the only one of the day, despite the huge wind) was undone almost immediately when SS knocked on on the first tackle. NS was tackling in numbers, but wasn't locking the ball in, and SS was often able to get a pass away. It was this ability, coupled with quick hands and the ability to find gaps, that led to its third try, scored midway through the half, to make the score 16-12. This time the conversion attempt hit the other post.

After a ten minute period of sustained pressure, interrupted by a couple of NS attacks, SS scored the equalising try in the 29th minute. Some great NS defence had resulted in a line drop out, but Souths scored soon after in the corner. The conversion attempt was dead straight, but fell short, to make it four tries and no goals for Souths. The wind was getting stronger and it was favouring the Rabbits.

A few minutes later, NS was on the attack and a field goal attempt from Nathan Ward was charged down. Souths gathered the ball, but lost it on the second tackle, only 35 metres out. Scott McLean went over in the far corner moments later. It was an ugly scrappy attack against and ugly scrappy defence, but it was perhaps the most exciting try of the day to see him step, weave and dodge through the SS defenders. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to convert so the score was 20-16, and close to full time.

With 4 minutes to go, SS attempted another 40/20 which went out on the full. NS had the scrum feed from 38 metres out, but did nothing with the ball. Even putting the ball into touch may have used up the remaining time. Instead, SS got possession in its quarter, and was almost immediately down the NS end following a penalty. A couple of great try saving tackles from the Bears defence, but Souths went over on the last tackle with less than 2 minutes to go to level the scores for a second time, and the conversion put Souths ahead for the first time in the game. Final score 22-20.

South Sydney 22 (5 tries, 1 goal) df
North Sydney 20 (Davui, Ramsay, B. McLean, S. McLean tries; S. McLean 2 goals)
angrybear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Fintan - another great report. nice to read about some action onfield. looking forward to hearing the Flegg report if you get a chance.
Big-Steve
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my report on the jersey Flegg which is going on the official site in the next few days.

BEARS MAUL RABBITS TO REMAIN IN THE EIGHT

The North Sydney Bears Jersey Flegg team played one of their best games of the season last weekend against the South Sydney Rabitohs to remain in the top eight.

Strong defence in the first 5 minutes left Souths with a man stretchered off. By the 11th the Bears were ready for an attack but lost the ball in a solid Souths tackle. However North’s Bobby Bright hit back with a solid tackle of his own the resulting drop ball resulting in a scrum. In a spectacular movement Brett Law passed to Johnny Russell who darted 20 metres passing to Bryce Poisel. Then Bryce to Brett and a perfectly timed pass out left to Sema Mataora who found Josh Lewis in support in the corner making it 4-0 to the Bears.

From the kick off Norths made it all the way to the Rabbits 10 metre line but lost possession. As the ball returned to Norths they had numbers and talent on the left wing by running through the South Sydney defence.

But the Rabbits fought back getting within Norths 10 metres. With a penalty they scored left of the post 6-4 to the Bunnies.

From a scrum the Bears Cheyne Tickle made an impressive sight barging his way through 20 metres. Then a pass to zippy hooker Tim Woodbine began another left wing passing assault resulting in future QLD Cowboys recruit Sema Mataora scoring with a big grin on his face. 8-0 to the Bears. Next a penalty to Norths in the Rabbits half lead to another Cheyne Tickle and Tim Woodbine movement giving Brett Law a try. Lee Ta Maari converted the score 14-0 to Norths.

A penalty to the Rabbits allowed them to attack Norths on there line for the first time in a serious way. Staggering defence from the Bears forced the ball dead. Another attack by the Bunnies on Norths line was held up by Norths. The Bears in control ploughed forward with Bobby Bright and co. and another left wing attack gave Sema Mataora a 30 metre run to score a try. Johnny Russell converted, the score now 20-0.

From the kick off an ugly incident when Norths fullback and play maker was targeted yet again with a headhigh. Norths receiving a penalty. Another attempted try by Souths was held up by Norths.

In possession in the first 5 minutes of the second half Norths Cheyne Tickle made a 20 metre bust then passed to Tim woodbine as he ran the rest of the length of the field to score in the right hand corner 24-6 the score. Next again from the kick off Sema Mataora ran 40 metres grubber kicking to allow Bryce Poisel to ground the ball for a try with inches to spare. Lee Ta Maari converted, 30-6 the score. A penalty to Norths almost resulted in another try in the right hand corner. Then a scrum on the Rabbits 10 metre line gave a Tim Woodbine – Bryce Poisel – Lee Ta Maari try again in the right hand corner. 34-6 to the Bears.

Then a misted tackle a good run and a marvellous ariel pass gave the Rabbits their final try in the left corner. 34-10. In the last few minutes the Bears finished on the attack as Sema ran 30 metres grubber kicking to Tim Woodbine. However no try resulted as the final bell sounded.

Coach Josh White’s highlight was Sema Mataora's performance. “It’s a great tribute to a player when you ask them to change wings and they perform so well” said Josh. His other stand outs were Johnny Russell “always plays well”, Bobby Bright, Tim Woodbine, Nathan Ward and James Donlan “had his best game”.

NORTH SYDNEY 34 (Sema Mataora 2, Josh Lewis, Brett Law, Tim Woodbine, Bryce Poisel, Lee Te Maari tries; Lee Te Maari 2, John Russell goals) df
SOUTH SYDNEY 10 (2 tries; 1 goal)
angrybear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent - thanks big steve.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Big Steve, that saved me a bit of writing. I lost a page of notes from the JF game when it blew away in the wind, so it's good to be reminded of the missing bits.

Some team changes that I picked up:

Premier League
I think Nathan FERGUSON in the starting line-up at half back. He wasn't previously listed. I wrote down his number (no. 20) but didn't think to write down his name. The listed half, Brett LAW (no. 7), was moved to lock and Wayne McDADE (no. 13) started on the bench. Michael CHAN (no. 16) didn't get read out, although Paddy WILLIAMSON played in his number rather than no. 17 which was left empty. Ina PEPERA (no. 18) and Josh LEWIS (no. 19) were promoted from Jersey Flegg, although I don't think they got onto the ground. I might have misheard, but I think Simon FRANCINI (no. 21) was also read out. I hadn't heard his name before. I don't think he got any game time.

Jersey Flegg
Only one change, Tane TUTAKI (no. 15) was in the starting line-up in place of Cheyne TICKLE (no. 10) who was on the bench. I don't think Nathan FERGUSON (no. 17), Ben FRYER (no. 19), Mitch ERICKSON (no. 20), Scott HEAP (no. 21), Nathan WILSON (no. 22) or Michael JOHNSON (no. 25) got game time.

I think only four interchange players are allowed to be used in both grades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: