Bruce Foye's Record

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpex
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Bruce Foye's Record Reply with quote

Newbie here...what a great forum! I loved the Bears in the 70s and spent many an afternoon around the Moreton Bay fig. I reckon I saw John Gray's first and last games with the Bears....first was a pre-season game at home when he kicked 9 from 9 or thereabouts, from everywhere on the oval. Last was at Penrith Park. I'll never forget the day he threw a big stiff arm in the first 20 seconds or so in a game at Nth Sydney Oval and was sent straight off. Horror!

Anyway, to the subject....when scrums actually meant something, hookers had real skill. Am I right in thinking Bruce Foye had one of the best scrum win/loss records of any hooker going around at that time? When we were getting flogged...and there were a few times like that....he always seemed to win the scrums. Give me the benefit of your knowledge!
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

The 70's was my era as a young boy as well. I had a great chat with Bill Hamilton a couple of years ago about his time as captain/coach in the latter part of the decade.

Bruce Foye and a guy from Cronulla called John McMartin were acknowledged as the best ball-winning hookers of that era. Bruce played City 2nds in 1979 in a season where Norths finished last. He was also until recently on the North Sydney board
Scorpex
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that...the year Bruce played City Seconds was my last year in Sydney...I remember now that he played rep.

Herman....one who went the right way (Manly to Bears), not like Goldy Walker and too many others. Bill was a copper based at Chatswood Police Station, in Archer St, wasn't he? I lived in the next block south for a while in the mid 70s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: