Sunday 5 September, Norths v Sharks @ NSO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffles
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Sunday 5 September, Norths v Sharks @ NSO Reply with quote

Rather than watch the Jets play woManly, I am going to Bear Park to see my last Bears fixture of the year. Tell the merchandise people to pack a Size Medium retro shirt because I am buying one.

Anyone else going to the game? I remember the earlier fixture this year. What a night for the Bears it was!
Henson Park Hornets
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am going to see the Bears play Cronulla rather than paying my $8 to see the Jets play woManly.

If someone at the club can also make sure that they bring down an XL retro shirt for me as well, I'd like to purchase one.

Hope all the Bears fans can make it down to cheer the Big Black Bears.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to make the trip up, intending to be in the Molly Dye Stand. Unfortunately I'll be in WA for the following two weeks (three weekends) so I won't be able to see the Bears again this season until the Grand Final.
djmac
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gunna head down from the tablelands to see the game but I figured I'd better expand my too small dissertation instead before my supervisor gets cranky.
Jeffles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan O'Laighin wrote:
I'm planning to make the trip up, intending to be in the Molly Dye Stand. Unfortunately I'll be in WA for the following two weeks (three weekends) so I won't be able to see the Bears again this season until the Grand Final.

I'll save you a seat next to the Bluebags contingent. Laughing
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look out for you Jeffles. I'm surpised that so many Newtown fans are planng to go to the NS game given that the Jets are playing at Brookvale tomorrow. Are you all on a spying mission for the Sharks? Who will you be supporting? I was hoping that the Jets would be playing today, preferably at Henson Park, as I'd probably be there now rather than here in the internet cafe. I'm really sorry that Newtown didn't make the 8 - the plan for 2005 is a NS v Newtown Grand Final, with NS to avenge the 1943 loss. We'll station some military police outside the gates to pick up any suspect looking Newtown players.
NorthsBearspunx
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Souths won so it looks like we will be playing the roosters next week. I may get to see them play.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premier League

Cronulla Sharks 76 North Sydney Bears 18

The Bears were severely undermanned with a number of starting players out injured. There was a lot at stake for the Sharks who were gunning for the final position in the top 8 and needed a 60 point victory against the Bears to claim the spot from the Balmain Tigers. The Bears started brilliantly with a fantastic run from Matt Rose, spinning out of tackles and throwing a perfect ball to Michael Chan who crossed next to the posts for a 6-nil lead. The Sharks played some entertaining football with numerous offloads that led to a number of tries to have the score out to 32-6. But moments before half time, the dynamic Namila Davui scored a great individual try, breaking though the Sharks defense with sheer determination and cut the lead to 32-12.

The Sharks came out running after half time to have their lead out to 48-12. The Bears stopped the flow of tries, with a spectacular try to Scott Webb. With a pinpoint accurate kick by Nathan Ferguson, Webb flew up above his opposing winger to touch down in the corner. A fine conversion from the sideline by Nathan Ferguson had reduced the lead to 48-18. It looked as though the Sharks hopes for the finals were over. But to their credit the Sharks played some brilliant expansive football and crossed the Bears tryline at regular intervals. The crowd was getting right into the game, as most were aware of the Sharks’ situation. The Sharks scored a converted try with just on one minute remaining but 2 points short of the required 60 point victory. The Sharks threw the ball everywhere in an attempt to keep their season alive. But the Bears scrambled desperately in defense to deny the Sharks’ finals bid.

The Sharks outclassed the Bears but all the players tried their best for Gary Larson’s last game as coach of the Bears. David Letele put in some punishing hits throughout the game and Matt Rose worked tireless to ignite the Bears’ attack.

Cronulla Sharks 76 defeated North Sydney Bears 18 Michael Chan, Namila Davui, Scott Webb tries, Nathan Ferguson 3 goals.

Jersey Flegg

Cronulla Sharks 46 North Sydney Bears 16

After claiming their final’s ticket with a string of great wins, the Jersey Flegg Bears were looking to continue their form at Bear Park. The side rested a number of players who were carrying niggling injuries. The Bears started off slowly and appeared to have trouble getting into their natural free flowing rhythm. The Sharks managed to put on a couple of converted tries for a 12-nil lead. With the team struggling, an individual effort was required, and Josh Lewis broke a couple of tackles close to the Sharks tryline and then scampered in for the Bears’ first try to cut the lead to 12-4 midway through the first half. The turning point of the game came shortly after, when a few tempers got frayed and few fists went flying. To the astonishment of the crowd, the Bears’ Jacob Selmes got his marching orders from the referee. Amazingly the Sharks player involved was only sent to the sin bin. To compound things, from the resultant penalty the Sharks crossed the Bears line to extend their lead to 16-4. From here the Bears were really on the back foot. Despite the situation, the Bears really rolled up their sleeves and worked tirelessly to cover for the man down. Just before the half time break, Nathan Wilson crashed over for a much needed try and with the conversion, the Bears went in to the shed down 16-10.

The second half didn’t start well for the Bears, with the Sharks crossing to extend their lead to 20-10. The Bears hit back with a slithering run by Brett Law to bring the score back to 20-16. Unfortunately the Bears were unable to maintain the pressure on the Sharks and with a man down the Bears were beginning to do it tough. With the weight of possession favouring them, the Sharks put on a number of length of the field tries to runaway with the game, 46-16.

There were a number of hard working performers for the Bears, with Nathan Ward a threat to the Sharks whenever he had the ball in his hands. Josh Lewis, Johnny Russell and Brett Law all had solid games for the Bears.

Cronulla Sharks 46 defeated North Sydney Bears 16 Josh Lewis, Nathan Wilson, Brett Law tries Scott Heap 2 goals.
angrybear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are excellent match reports B4l - crisp copy.
Jeffles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reports. You should send them in to local newspapers. The Jets do and they get published.

For me it was a great day out. What an insight I was given into the "intellectual elite" of Cronulla fans. I will dread trips down there next year.

I was going for the Bears on the day. Cronulla are scum and so are their players except for the occassions that they wear the Royal Blue of Newtown. I was so happy when the "Newtown wannabes" failed to win by the required 60 points.
Big-Steve
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffles wrote:
What an insight I was given into the "intellectual elite" of Cronulla fans.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

And yes the reports are excellent and I've passed them on the the club to go on the Official site.
NorthsBearspunx
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the crowd like?

Cronulla is scum, their fans are a bucnh of right wing tools to be quiet honest. You Jets fans can give them a bit of a boost in my popularity stakes next year Smile
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers weren't that high, but there was a lot of fire in those that were there. I went there intending to be kindly disposed towards Cronulla because of its relationship with Newtown, but that attitude quickly dissipated with some smart-arse Cronulla supporters hassling the Bears for missing out on the 16th NRL place. There were a few cries of "Gold Coast Sharks" from some sections of the crowd, shouts of "Newtown Wannabees" and chants of "Balmain, Balmain" (a reference to Balmain getting 8th spot on the strength of a 2 point better For and Against). When NS's Scott Webb kicked the ball over the touchline after the siren to stop Cronulla's last attempt to get to a 60 point margin, you'd have thought that NS had won the game judging by how loudly we cheered, rather than lost by 58 points. All in all, apart from the results, a good day at the footy. The Newtown contingent (Jeffles and Henson Park Hornets) showed the way, they were good value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: