Shane Millard Walkathon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Shane Millard Walkathon Reply with quote

Shane Millard has been involved with the Bears for many years with the SG Ball side and is a great club man.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-comes-together-to-raise-money-for-shane-millard-an-unsung-hero-of-the-game/story-fni3fbgz-1227642500545

Walking The Walk For Unsung Hero Of League
Ben Horne
The Daily Telegraph
11 December 2015

For every NRL star there's a junior coach that helped shape their careers and mentor their personalities in those unpredictable early years.

Shane Millard was that man for Anthony Mundine, Ben Ross, sons Daryl and Ryan and countless other young players to come through the lower grades at the St George Dragons and more recently the North Sydney Bears.

This Sunday at Maroubra Beach, members of the rugby league community, including the Men of League foundation, will gather for a Walkathon to help raise money for one of the game's unsung heroes as he fights against cancer that doctors say they can no longer treat.

Experienced NRL centre Daryl Millard and Queensland Cup utility Ryan, both Fiji World Cup internationals, were coached by their father as kids but now the brothers are mentors to him as he battles to overcome cancer in his liver, lungs and near his gallbladder.

"On January 25 this year I got told by my oncologist that he could do no more for me," said Shane Millard, who also coached the USA Tomahawks and assisted for Fiji.

"After three years of doing chemotherapy and a couple of surgeries (including one to remove cancer in the colon) there was no option for me so I had to go down a different route so I've gone to the holistic lifestyle that's a combination of diet, exercise and treatments aimed at getting rid of all the stress in my life."

The 58-year-old retired as a school teacher from Kingsgrove High and stopped coaching the Bears' SG Ball Cup team.

As a result, Millard's cancer has stabilised but now out of work he needs support in order to afford to maintain his treatments.

The Shane Millard Walkathon page has been set up on Facebook with details about Sunday's event, with the walk to begin out the front of South Maroubra Surf Club at noon — where participants can register and donate on the spot — and finish back at the same spot after the walk up to Malabar.

A late lunch and silent auction will follow with a range of signed jerseys and Sam Burgess' first-ever boots worn in Australia among the items up for grabs.

https://www.facebook.com/menofleaguefoundation/posts/1065262320159055
Men Of League Foundation
November 30 at 10:10pm

Shane Millard. Husband, father, rugby league coach and member of Men of League foundation. For all those who know him and what he's been through the past few years. His family are having a walkathon to help raise funds to cover the costs of the holistic treatment that he's receiving at the moment. It'll be held at 12pm at Maroubra beach on the 13th December. Everyone is invited and there will be a function with entertainment held after at the North End Café in Maroubra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT8axSwxGRE
Shane Millard Walkathon Fundraiser
Published on Nov 20, 2015
Shane Millard Walkathon proudly brought to you by The Front Rowers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: