2016 Rd4 vs Mounties, Saturday 26th March 3.10pm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: 2016 Rd4 vs Mounties, Saturday 26th March 3.10pm Reply with quote

Mounties v North Sydney Bears
GIO Stadium, Saturday 26 March
3:10pm

Live Broadcast on FOX Sports Channel 501 (woohoo!)

BEARS
1 SITIVENI MOCEIDREKE
2 TAUTALATASI TASI
3 DANE NIELSEN
4 ED MURPHY (C)
5 TOM HUGHES
6 RILEY TRAVERS
7 ELI LEVIDO
8 CLAY WILLIAMS
9 BRAD DEITZ
10 TOBY RUDOLF
11 TULSA SAUMAMAO
12 PATRICE SIOLO
13 CHEYNE WHITELAW

14 PIKI ROGERS
15 JACK SIEJKA
16 FJ MAUALA
17 BROCK GRAY
18 COACH BEN GARDINER (as per the NSWRL site, Coach is not only taking on his usual duties but has even stepped up to be named as 18th Man. Now that's dedication!)

As Souths play on Good Friday and have named an extended bench, expect to see a couple of players bolstering the side. Michael Oldfield and Jack Gosiewski are currently on the extended bench.

Souths backs are pretty solid in terms of selection so barring any injuries Oldfield will play for the Bears probably at fullback. Souths bench is slightly more uncertain however as I believe Gosiewski is chomping at the heels of Chris Grevsmuhl for his First Grade debut. Expect one or the other to play in the backrow for the Bears

So as the game will be covered live, those of you with subscriptions, hop on the couch and enjoy the game (those that have any easter family gatherings that day start thinking of your excuse to try to avoid the rest of the family at that time to watch the game).

Those of you without a subscription, pop down your local and ask them to switch the channel to Fox Sports 501 to watch the game. The excuses required for any easter family gatherings here need to be particularly crafty so those stuck for ideas could appeal here to The Mighty Bears Forum Helpline (this thread) for further ideas/advice from fellow Bears tragics. (and do your best not to return home in too dishevelled a state or the jig's up).

THE ENEMY
1 ZAC SANTO
2 EDDIE AIONO
3 CAMERON PHELPS
4 SISA WAQA
5 KATO OTTIO
6 LACHLAN CROKER
7 MAURICE KENNEDY
8 LUKE BATEMAN
9 GLEN BUTTRISS ( C )
10 RHYS KENNEDY
11 JARRAD KENNEDY
12 MITCH BARNETT
13 CLAY PRIEST
14 SAM DUGGAN
15 ROYCE HUNT
17 MITCH KENNEDY
21 JACOB MAYER
22 STEVEN TAVITA
23 TEPAI TEPU SMITH
COACH STEPHEN ANTONELLI
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Oldfield played for Souths today.

Jack Gosiewski did not so will likely play tomorrow.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the game, I'll be there. I'm meeting cnbhs who has recently moved to Canberra. Look for us when Foxtel pans the crowd - we'll be the good looking blokes in North Sydney jerseys.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the Bears have a big game tomorrow. Souths had a shocker today so they boys will be keen to push for selection.
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan O'Laighin wrote:
I'm looking forward to the game, I'll be there. I'm meeting cnbhs who has recently moved to Canberra. Look for us when Foxtel pans the crowd - we'll be the good looking blokes in North Sydney jerseys.

I didnt see any good looking Bears fans there. However I did see some Bears fans though.

How'd it look live guys?

Thought they were a bit of a shambles to start. Poor penalty/error/completions ---> poor possession. Also Mounties owned the Bears and made too many easy metres per set, though there was glimpses of promise from the Bears the Mounties were generally dominant the first 20-25. Made too many easy metres from dummyhalf and up the ruck. Was it poor marker defence or was their 9 simply a gun. Theirforwards and backs generally got a roll on over the Bears defence.

Bears settled down after that and started gaining some structure and hence eventually they where the better team in the latter of the first half. Defence solidified, error count was good and we started to wrestle our way back into the game. Some good Mounties goalline defence stopped them from scoring.

If they could come out into the second half the way they finished the first they had a good chance.

Unfortunately I got distracted on various projects at this point so Im not real confident in my assessment, however..

Early 2nd half went solidly for Bears, plus plenty of penalties etc against Mounties prevented them from regaining their early first half dominance. The Bears scored some tries and were back in the game.

The latter 2nd of the half was more even than the first 3/4 or so. I felt it coulda gone either way. It was a close scoring game.

A loss. Far from perfect but not something I'd be feeling down about. Still much to work on but certainly looking like a finals spot at this stage. It is only round 4 so not getting carried away but good signs for sure. than some certainty it'll happen
northern bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly showed enough to be very competitive this year.

Seemed just to lack a 'hard head' to lead them around the paddock, but seem to have great team spirit.

A couple of decisions in the last 15 mins didn't help.
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northern bear wrote:
Certainly showed enough to be very competitive this year.

Seemed just to lack a 'hard head' to lead them around the paddock, but seem to have great team spirit.

A couple of decisions in the last 15 mins didn't help.

By "hard head" do you mean "captain" or something else?

The game left me with hope.
northern bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a young side and it seems to me if we had someone with a little more experience, as Mounties had, it could have made the difference.

They had Les Kiss in the blue t shirt doing the on field coaching as well.

Late decisions didn't go our way allowing them to skip away, but the set plays for tries down the right hand side were great, and there is potential for a good season.

With home games to come, we might get a little more 'rub of the green'
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

092016 wrote:
I didnt see any good looking Bears fans there. However I did see some Bears fans though.

The cameras mustn't have focussed on cnbhs and me. There were a few Bears fans there. Certainly more Bears jerseys in the crowd than Mounties ones.

092016 wrote:
How'd it look live guys?

I think you summed it up pretty well, it was a bit of a shambles at the start. The kicking game was poor - kicks that were easy to field and no players running through to put pressure on the receiver. Some silly penalties conceded, defenders getting drawn in and leaving an overlap (which Mounties didn't capitalise on a number of times). Very little to rave about in the first 40 mins, although given that it was 10-nil after just twelve or thirteen minutes and was still 10-nil at half time was a good sign. Although, as I said, Mounties didn't make the most of their chances. NS's attack did put things together a couple of times, but in general, they seem to lack the imagination to break the Mounties line.

In the 52nd minute, I made a note saying "NS looking sharp"; that particular attack led to a line drop out, and shortly after Patrice Siolo crossed for a try, converted by Eli Levido. The kicking game started improving, forcing another line drop out. Midway through the half, a great gang tackle forced Mounties into touch and got NS possession near the half way. A penalty shortly after had things looking good, only for NS to lose the ball on the second tackle.

Mounties next try came from what looked like an innocuous x-field kick. Both cnbhs and I said "nuh" only to see a Mounties player just outleap the defenders and pluck the ball out of the air for a try. Very nice bit of play. That made it 16-6, but NS won possession from the kick off with some great defence near the Mounties line that forced a knock on. A try to Ed Murphy in the opposite corner, unfortunately not converted by Levido.

Where things went wrong was NS getting penalised on the second tackle after the kick off, 15m out almost in front of the posts, for not playing the ball properly. NOT PLAYING THE BALL PROPERLY! We are talking about potential first graders here, not U6s having their first run. Astonishingly, the penalty goal was missed but Mounties got the ball back from the line drop out and remained on the attack. Mounties got a penalty for holding and this time it was converted to make it 18-10 with ten minutes left.

But NS kept in it and four minutes later a nice dart from dummy half (didn't see by whom) almost led to a try in the left hand corner. But a try came on the next set in the opposite corner to Tautalatasi Tasi, converted by Levido from the sideline to make it 18-16.

One of the final plays was a chip kick from Murphy that was "slips fielded" by a Mounties player in a diving catch. Had he missed it, Murphy would have regathered and, if he had the speed, had a clear 40m run to the line.

Anyway, one that got away, although Mounties would have thought hard done by had they lost. They were the better team for a lot of the game, but couldn't put NS away. NS had their chances and momentum was building for the Bears until that stupid play the ball penalty.

girvie wrote:
Hopefully the Bears have a big game tomorrow. Souths had a shocker today so they boys will be keen to push for selection.

Some good performances, but nothing sparkling, nothing that said "pick me, pick me". Ed Murphy does some good defensive stuff, Jokatama Dokinavalu (no. 22) does some nice offloads. I thought our halves lacked a bit of imagination, didn't really keep the Mounties defenders guessing. Piki Rogers from the bench had a couple of nice moves. A solid effort from the Bears, but nothing spectacular.

There were a couple of changes to the team list:

* Jack Gosiewski (no. 19) in for Tulsa Saumamao (no. 11);
* Jokatama Dokinavalu (no. 22) in for Jack Siejka (no. 15).

All seventeen players got game time.

The team sheet is on the NSB twitter feed:

cnbhs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah bears people are the best looking people AND the most helpful as my daughter (under three ) helped calm a local small child distressed at the noise.

A most enjoyable day, Fintan, myself, family and friend all attended, even the 19 yo got into it in the end. Great stadium and yes there was a smattering of red and black.

Norths didnt start well, Mounties jumped out the box (Exactly like the later NRL match). As Fintan said the ref was not kind but we just lacking any standout talent in the first half to dominate and direct. Mounties had our number for most of the match but never finished it off, we close enough to have snatched it if we just had a bit more "thinking".

In the NRL match - the crowd reaction to the GC comeback was predictable, we were very close to the corner where ex Bear John Olive went over - surrounded by Raiders fans - they all knew he grounded it except one presumably "affected" man in green going absolutely spare!

Thank you Fintan and North Sydney!
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnbhs wrote:
In the NRL match - the crowd reaction to the GC comeback was predictable, we were very close to the corner where ex Bear John Olive went over - surrounded by Raiders fans - they all knew he grounded it except one presumably "affected" man in green going absolutely spare!

Yeah, cnbhs and I were right in line with John Olive's try and had a better view than any of the video replays. My initial reaction was that "he got that down". The reaction of the Canberra fans who were near us suggested that they saw what we saw. It was the ones who were on a different angle (i.e. 99.9 per cent of the Canberra fans) who didn't think it was a try. I don't know where the cameraman was pointing his lens though, he seemed to be a good position.

It was a good day at the footy, only downside was the two point loss in the game that mattered.
northern bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next time the GC play in the nation's capital might it be the GC BEARS?
cnbhs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranger things have happened Northern
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good that Norths put in a competitive performance for the televised game. Should help encourage Bears fans to turn up to games when we are back at home.
Birchgrove Bear
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only saw the second half as I was watching Newtown beat Manly! The Bears put in a solid display in the second half. Ed Murphys all round game impressed and Tasi has amazing acceleration. Should score plenty of tries this year. Let's hope the halves grow into their roles. Neither disgraced themselves but we were blessed to have Nicholls and Walker last year. Hopefully these will prove equally creative and dangerous over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: