Any developments on the Gold Coast Bears ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ourimbah Magpies
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Any developments on the Gold Coast Bears ? Reply with quote

Any rumours or news on this lately ?.
cozemail
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Any Developments on the Gold Coast Bears? Reply with quote

From Rugby League Review June 2016 issue Page 10 The Detective column:

Earlier this season there were reports that the North Sydney Bears were looking at taking over the licence of the Gold Coast Titans and re-brand them the Gold Coast Bears and play in the red and black jerseys.
The team will continue to play out of the Gold Coast, but may also take several games a season to the Bears' home base on the NSW Central Coast as well as a game at North Sydney Oval.
Even though things seem to have gone quiet in the past three months, I am hearing that things are progressing.
The Gold Coast Bears, should they get the green light, are likely to play to their matches on the Gold Coast. But they are looking at getting NRL clubs to play a number of "home" matches on the Central Coast and North Sydney Oval.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Developments on the Gold Coast Bears? Reply with quote

I'm not wildly excited by the prospect of the Gold Coast Bears although as with the Central Coast Bears, I could be talked around. We spent a lot of time and money developing the CCBs and it would be a shame for it to be wasted. I don't know how the GCBs playing on the Central Coast would go down although I don't think the CC really embraced the Bears in the way I would have liked. I don't dispute that the CC wants a full time NRL side, I was never convinced that it had to be the Bears. Having said that, no one besides the Bears seemed to be doing anything about getting a team on the CC.

Rugby League Review June 2016, The Detective wrote:
The Gold Coast Bears, should they get the green light, are likely to play to their matches on the Gold Coast. But they are looking at getting NRL clubs to play a number of "home" matches on the Central Coast and North Sydney Oval.

This was a model I was advocating - with the Bears (be they CCBs, the GCBs or - if anyone remembers - my proposed Adelaide Bears). North Sydney Oval or Central Coast Stadium could be used a base with visits to local schools and clubs, and coaching clinics.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the North Sydney AGM held earlier in the year, the Chairman stated that "the Central Coast Bears is dead". So it would appear that the Bears management are pushing behind the scenes with Gold Coast Bears option.
BearsFanDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to some of the people at the top about 6 weeks ago. What they told me is that they are progressing things, it's still 50:50 and more importantly... they wont tell a soul about the progress until they are ready. Apparently it was the NRL who leaked everything last time, which they apparently known for doing and the Leagues and Football clubs don't want to rock the boat before the deal is finalised.
So while we may want more... no news is good news. If you hear a rumour, its probably got no basis in fact whatsoever
BLOB
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Good one Max. Reply with quote

Bears are now tipped to be back in the NRL in the coming weeks as former Administrator of the Bears and now Parramatta's has proposed a joint venture with the Bears and Eels before delivering Parra to Singo for a song with Gerry Harvey being appointed as CEO..

The Eels will then play at the Central Coast with a Magic Millions mini-sale being held at half time.
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BearsFanDave wrote:
I spoke to some of the people at the top about 6 weeks ago. What they told me is that they are progressing things, it's still 50:50 and more importantly... they wont tell a soul about the progress until they are ready. Apparently it was the NRL who leaked everything last time, which they apparently known for doing and the Leagues and Football clubs don't want to rock the boat before the deal is finalised.
So while we may want more... no news is good news. If you hear a rumour, its probably got no basis in fact whatsoever

It was not the NRL that leaked the story.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Good one Max. Reply with quote

BLOB wrote:
Bears are now tipped to be back in the NRL in the coming weeks as former Administrator of the Bears and now Parramatta's has proposed a joint venture with the Bears and Eels before delivering Parra to Singo for a song with Gerry Harvey being appointed as CEO..

The Eels will then play at the Central Coast with a Magic Millions mini-sale being held at half time.

Hey, welcome back BLOB, been quiet for a while.

A cynical post? It has echoes of the past as I remember hearing that Parramatta's then CEO, Denis Fitzgerald, was keen on a Parramatta-North Sydney merger in the late 1990s. He supposedly hated the "Eels" emblem so was advocating a Parramatta Bears.

I always hated the idea of Singo being promoted as the saviour of the Bears - he bought our stadium rights for a fire-sale price and only got behind the CC Bears so that he'd have a team to play there.
BLOB
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singleton NEVER supported the Bears.

He said he "would" when he was trying to get his hands on the GP license but as soon as Donnelly transferred the license to him the Bears were booted out of the Central Coast.

Never forget that the Bears Football club were granted exclusive rights to Graham Park for 21 years with all revenue from the advertising concessions and corporate boxes going the the Footy Club.

Despite the fact that the club even without an NRL license had the best financial prospects of any club the then footy club Board sold the club down the river by claiming the club was insolvent and appointed Donnelly as Administrator.

The CC stadium rebuild was paid for by the taxpayers for the benefit of the Bears and CC rugby league and Donnelly "gave" it to Sing for 2 million bucks even though David Hill had secured financing to pay out all the Footy Club's debts but which Donnelly rejected before accepting the Singo proposal which meant the creditors including the players were NOT paid their full entitlements.

Wonder how much Mr Singleton has made out of that "deal" in the past couple of decades!!

Croney capitalism par excellence.
BLOB
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there appears to be no news I assume the Gold Coast Bears has been aborted.

Not surprising really given that Anusley is the CEO at the Titans.

He cost the Bears many games when he was refereeing or whatever you call the thing he did when he was appointed to blow a whistle in the middle of the field.
BearsFanDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't write it off yet. As I said earlier, you'll hear something official one way or the other. We just have to wait. Ignore any rumours and try not to create them either.
BLOB
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: update please Reply with quote

Dear Members and Fans

I am writing to you today following recent media coverage regarding the Bears and the NRL’s Gold Coast franchise.

While the Bears’ focus in recent years has been on winning a licence for the Central Coast Bears, we acknowledge statements from the NRL that expansion is not on its agenda in the foreseeable future.

Accordingly, we have been exploring other avenues for the Bears to re-enter the NRL.

The NRL’s announcement that it will be looking to sell the franchise has prompted us to go public with our offer of support.

Let me be clear, we are not seeking a takeover of the Gold Coast Titans.

Rather, The Bears are keen to work with the NRL to build a viable and sustainable club with a local and national support base on the Gold Coast What we are exploring is a way the Bears can add to the viability of a Gold Coast team by providing:

long-term financial sustainability
the history of a Foundation Club brand
a loyal and engaged fan-base nationally
a growing base of supporters on the Central Coast
Gold Coast infrastructure through the Bears’ 100 per cent ownership of the Tweed Heads Leagues Club.

We believe that our involvement would have tangible benefits in terms of television audiences, increased crowds and a significantly larger market for sponsors and merchandise.

We are also sensitive to the passion and commitment of the existing fan bases and want to develop ways to work with them to build a club that does all of them proud.

Details of how the Bears could be involved in the franchise will need to be determined over the coming months.

We look forward to working with everyone in the weeks and months ahead and to keeping you informed of developments.

Greg Florimo
Share this entry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: