Round 23 v Illawarra Cutters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutters Thump Bears
Tony Dosen
Sun 14th August, 05:30PM

TOP FOUR QUALITY: The Cutters showed why they sit in second position with a big win over the Bears

The Illawarra Cutters have maintained their Top Four position in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW with an easy 42-6 disposal of a poor North Sydney Bears at North Sydney Oval this afternoon.

The Cutters won the match in a dominant first half where they blitzed the Bears with a clinical display in attack in setting up a commanding 28-nil half time lead.

Things got off to a poor start for the Bears in just the third minute when fullback Latrell Schaumkel slipped when fielding a high mid field bomb.

Cutters half Drew Hutchinson picked up the bouncing ball and sent Irish international Tyrone McCarthy away to score the first try next to the posts. Levi Dodd converted and the Cutters led 6-nil.

Hutchinson then scored close to the uprights from a superb Shannon Wakeman offload in a Bears two man tackle five minutes later to double the Cutters lead to 12-nil with Dodd’s simple conversion.

A terrible mix up between Schaumkel and centre Sifa Talakai from a Hutchinson grubber kick in the 18th minute saw Cutters half Josh McCrone pick up the loose ball to score the simplest of tries. Dodd again converted and the Cutters were up with the clock at 18-nil.

By this stage, the Bears were shell-shocked by the ease of which the Cutters forwards were laying a platform through the middle.

This was typified by Wakeman powering through three insipid Bears tackles after taking a pass from a penalty tap inside the Bears’ defensive 20 metre area in the 22nd minute to score. Dodd landed another simple conversion and Illawarra led 24-nil.

A superbly placed cross field kick from Hutchinson in the 28th minute bounced up beautifully for winger Mitch Porter to score to blow out the Cutters’ lead to 28-nil.

Norths finally had some football at the end of the first half to play with, but were ineffective in attack and made no impression on the Cutters’ lead before the half time break.

After a flat start to the second half, Cutters winger Kalifa Faifailoa finished off a right side overlap 10 minutes into the second half to rule out a Bears miracle comeback at 32-nil.

The match then degenerated into a scrappy affair in the second half as the Cutters were easily able to defend the disjointed attack that the Bears offered up to them.

After a long break from Faifailoa in the 68th minute saw Bears interchange back Cameron Murray sin binned by referee Jon Stone for a professional foul after making the cover defensive tackle, Porter burst through some more inept Bears defence from the penalty to score his second try under the posts.

Shaun Nona converted to extend the Illawarra lead out to 38-nil.

The Bears saved a total shut out with three minutes to play when Murray returned from the sin bin to follow up an Eli Levido grubber in behind the Cutters defence to score Norths’ only try. Levido converted from near touch to have the Bears on the board at 38-6.

As the full time siren sounded, a Levido chip kick from the last tackle of the match was brilliantly caught by Dodd, who raced 65 metres to score the last try of the match and close out the emphatic 42-6 win.

The Cutters travel to Ringrose Park next Sunday to take on the Wentworthville Magpies, while the Bears somehow have to find some massive improvement to take on the Newtown Jets in the second Frank Hyde Shield match for the season at Henson Park next Saturday.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
Fintan O'Laighin wrote:
Abbas has been in the starting wing since Round 10 and on the wing since Round 11. He was inside centre in Rounds 1 and 2, and 5/8 in Round 10. Between Rounds 3 and 10 he played at least a couple of games for Asquith.

He played.

Yep, saw that. I was at the game, although I only arrived a few minutes before the start and had to leave pretty well straight away to catch a train back to Canberra.

I thought Miski had a good game, he was taking the ball up more than some of our forwards. I thought he was going to score in the corner late in the first half, he had three people struggling to tackle him, and then he got an unload away to keep things moving. Unfortunately, the movement broke down a tackle or two later.

I have some comments on Tony Dosen's match report later plus some other observations. Dosen's is a pretty fair account of the game.
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed one.

Second last paragraph should be .... "As the full time siren sounded, a Moceidreke chip kick from the last tackle of the match...".

No mention of Deitz & Talakai leaving the field due to injuries. (Might have been concussion) ?

The NRL link says Clayton Williams converted the try. Rolling Eyes

Talking about Clayton Williams, the way the Cutters tackled him was really dangerous, it's no surprise that he reacted.

Look forward to your report Fintan.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Dosen wrote:
.... a poor North Sydney Bears ......

Can't argue with that, North Sydney was terrible. I saw NS supporters start leaving when it got to 32-0, nine minutes into the second half.

Tony Dosen wrote:
The Cutters won the match in a dominant first half where they blitzed the Bears with a clinical display in attack in setting up a commanding 28-nil half time lead.

The NSWRL match centre says it was 22-0 at half time, but Dosen is right, it was 28-0. In fact, it was 28-0 after 28 minutes, so NS was able to hold Illawarra scoreless for 21 minutes.

Tony Dosen wrote:
Things got off to a poor start for the Bears in just the third minute when fullback Latrell Schaumkel slipped when fielding a high mid field bomb.

Not so much a high mid field bomb but a kick over the defensive line that would have been a nothing kick had the ball rolled in the direction it should have. Except it took a wicked bounce and Schaumkel slipped over. This try was just bad luck.

Tony Dosen wrote:
Hutchinson then scored close to the uprights from a superb Shannon Wakeman offload in a Bears two man tackle five minutes later to double the Cutters lead to 12-nil with Dodd’s simple conversion.

A terrible mix up between Schaumkel and centre Sifa Talakai from a Hutchinson grubber kick in the 18th minute saw Cutters half Josh McCrone pick up the loose ball to score the simplest of tries. Dodd again converted and the Cutters were up with the clock at 18-nil.

These tries were the result of woeful defence. NS's defenders just waited for the attackers to come to them. The contrast in each side's attack was stark - Illawarra attacked the line, had options left and right, constantly probling, keeping the defence guessing, and a great kicking game that turned the NS defenders around. Our attack however was flat, unimaginative and uninspiring - one off the ruck, one off the ruck, one off the ruck. Our smaller players were not going to smash through the Illawarra line, we needed some variation and imagination. Too many kicks went straight to an Illawarra defender.

Tony Dosen wrote:
This was typified by Wakeman powering through three insipid Bears tackles after taking a pass from a penalty tap inside the Bears’ defensive 20 metre ...

"Insipid" probably understates how lame that defensive effort was. The tap was the result of a silly penalty given away on the goal line on the fourth tackle - giving away stupid penalties has been a feature of every game I've seen this year. For training this week, NS should just watch a replay of tonight's Canberra v Melbourne NRL game - I've just come back from the game and after watching NS's effort yesterday, I am in awe of how good they were. Melbourne were pretty flat, but the Canberra defence was astoundingly good. NS needs to look at the video of that game to see how to do it.

Tony Dosen wrote:
Norths finally had some football at the end of the first half to play with, but were ineffective in attack and made no impression on the Cutters’ lead before the half time break.

NS looked good in this period with perhaps the most enterprising patch of the game. In was in this period that Abbas Miski almost carried three players over the line (see my earlier post) and did that great pass to keep the ball alive. A couple of penalties in the Illawarra quarter kept the pressure on, but it all dissipated when possession was lost in a tackle.

Illawarra almost got another try just before the break but NS showed a bit more spirit - Schaumkel made a great try saver after looking to be wrong-footed. He didn't complete the tackle, but had he not did what he did, Illawarra would have scored. That there were NS defenders there to complete the tackle was good.

Tony Dosen wrote:
The match then degenerated into a scrappy affair in the second half as the Cutters were easily able to defend the disjointed attack that the Bears offered up to them.

I thought the game improved a bit here - NS lifted its intensity in both attack and defence but just couldn't get through Illawarra's line.

Tony Dosen wrote:
After a long break from Faifailoa in the 68th minute saw Bears interchange back Cameron Murray sin binned by referee Jon Stone for a professional foul after making the cover defensive tackle, Porter burst through some more inept Bears defence from the penalty to score his second try under the posts.

There was so much wrong with this period of play. NS's defensive effort at the start of the break was terrible - I don't like to bag players, but Tyrell's attempted tackle was shocking, it was like he was waving him through the gap. For an NRL player, this was way below expectations. Murray's sin-binning might have been justified EXCEPT for the fact that referee hadn't done anything about similar instances when NS was in attack. Illawarra was lying all over NS in defence, with tacklers at times even looking over their shoulders to make sure the defensive line was set. So for the ref to penalise Murray for this was a joke. And as for the player's "burst through some more inept Bears defence" - boy, was that lame. The number of players who had the chance to tackle him but instead let him run.

Tony Dosen wrote:
The Bears saved a total shut out with three minutes to play when Murray returned from the sin bin to follow up an Eli Levido grubber in behind the Cutters defence to score Norths’ only try.

What Dosen doesn't say is that for a while it looked like NS wouldn't score. 38-0 up with five minutes to play, and Illawarra was defending as if the match was on the line. What NS could learn from this.

Levido's kick was a nicely placed grubber, the sort of kicking that I've seen from him in other games, but not so much in this match. Murray did well to make it, one on one with an Illawarra defender.

Tony Dosen wrote:
As the full time siren sounded, a Levido chip kick from the last tackle of the match was brilliantly caught by Dodd, who raced 65 metres to score the last try of the match and close out the emphatic 42-6 win.

This was unlucky, the game finished as it started.

Serendipity wrote:
No mention of Deitz & Talakai leaving the field due to injuries. (Might have been concussion) ?

Talakai looked a bit shaky as he was being taken off in the 8th minute of the second half. He was back on the bench by the 25th minute but he put his jacket on and didn't go back on.

NS had some good patches, but not enough. Some players did ok, but did not combine as a team. Cameron Murray was great, we won't have him next year once he bulks up a bit. Girvie said that he's still only 18 and may captain Australian schoolboys.

The NSWRL match centre is a bit awry. One Illawarra try is listed as having been scored in the 78th minute rather than the 20th. The interchange is also wrong. I missed a couple of times, but I had it as:

1. 19 min ON Murray / OFF Tyrell
2. 25 min ON Muala / OFF Hunt
3. x min (first half) ON Hunt / OFF Tasi
4. 48 min ON Seika / OFF Talakai
5. x min ON Tasi / OFF Hunt
6. x min ON Rogers / OFF Muala
7. 65 min ON Tyrell / OFF Williams
8. 71 min ON Muala / OFF Deitz

All four bench players got game time - Murray, Muala, Seika and Rogers.

I don't know why Tyrell got so little time. He didn't look injured. He didn't play well when he was on but I would have thought an NRL-standard player would have been given the chance to show what he can do.

Anyway, a disappointing game. I've seen NS play five times this year for five losses. However, I don't think it's due to me, I'm not the one out there missing tackles and taking wrong options.

On the plus side, we're still in the eight. The table around our bit of it, and each team's remaining games, is:

6. Wyong Roos 26 (+30) [Newcastle H (but at Hunter); Illawarra H]
7. Penrith Panthers 24 (+110) [Canterbury H; NZ Warriors A]
8. North Sydney Bears 24 (-61) [Newtown A; Canterbury H]
9. Wentworthville Magpies 24 (-99) [Illawarra H; Mounties A]
10. Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 23 (+16) [Penrith A; North Sydney A]

The final round game against Canterbury may even decide if it's NS or Canterbury who qualifies for the finals.
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your report Fintan.

Quote:
However, I don't think it's due to me, I'm not the one out there missing tackles and taking wrong options.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Moonbear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five from five eh Fintain? I'm almost sure it's not you, but just to be safe give yourself a spell these last two rounds.

As for the Bears copying Canberra's tactics they already tried it and it didn't work. Canberra conceded almost all their 10 penalties last night right on their own line and were happy to do so in order to stymie the Storm. This cynical tactic works a treat when you have good set goal line defence, but in the case of the Bears that has fallen away these last few rounds.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonbear wrote:
I'm almost sure it's not you .....

Almost sure? Hardly a ringing endorsement. Thanks for your support. :-)

Moonbear wrote:
As for the Bears copying Canberra's tactics they already tried it and it didn't work. Canberra conceded almost all their 10 penalties last night right on their own line and were happy to do so in order to stymie the Storm. This cynical tactic works a treat when you have good set goal line defence, but in the case of the Bears that has fallen away these last few rounds.

North Sydney has already worked out how to give away penalties without needing to copy Canberra Raiders. Unfortunately, our ones seem due more to ill discipline than strategy.
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS | Intrust Super Premiership NSW Rd 23
Tue 16th August, 02:00PM
http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/08/16/highlights_intrust_s.html
Serendipity
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears Battered By Classy Cutters
Poor Start Sets Tone For Big Loss
Caroline Tang
Mosman Daily
18 August 2016

Dane Nielsen hits it up for the Bears. Picture: Steve Little

Quote:
The Bears are clinging onto number eight on the ladder after a devastating loss to the Cutters last weekend.

Illawarra all but blew North Sydney out of Bear Park with a 42-6 thumping in round 23 of the NSW Rugby League ISP Cup.

The Cutters are second on the table. Bears general manager Greg Florimo said his team was "outclassed and outmuscled".

"We got off to a very poor start and probably Illawarra had a very good start with the fortuitous kick that saw them scoring in the first couple of minutes," he said.

"That good fortune continued on for them for the next half-hour. They raced to 30nil and we just couldn't seem to stop them."

Florimo said it would be a tough week leading into round two of the Frank Hyde Shield against the Newtown Jets at Henson Park on Saturday. "Some honest questions are being asked this week at training," he said.

"It's always a tough challenge. Newtown got us in the first round, so we need to win this one."

The Bears want to win their next two matches to build momentum for the semi-finals. They are on equal points with the Penrith Panthers and Wentworthville Magpies.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan, thanks for the report.

I could not attend the game, so your insight is appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: