Favourite players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northy
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Favourite players Reply with quote

G'day fellow Grizzlies.
I have only just joined so I thought I'd send this to see if it works and to connect to the loyal supporters of the Greatest Club of the Greatest Game of all. Favourite players: 1. Mark Graham; 2. Garry Larson (in that order). I met Mark Graham in 1986 in the dressing rooms after fulltime when we beat Penrith 22-18. This was the first match I had ever been to. It was played on a Saturday at about 1 pm. ABC TV had televised rights to the Saturday NSWRL match and also the rugby union test series taking place in Australia. To ensure that both matches were aired live on TV, both the NSWRL and ARU joined forces with the ABC to move the 1st grade match at Bear Park to a 1 pm kick-off. After fulltime, they would then go to the rugby broadcast live for the 3pm kick-off. Penrith bolted to a 12-0 lead early in the first half and Greg "Brandy" Alexander was having a blinder. My earliest memory of a Norths match was the 1977 Wills Cup final against Easts at the SCG. However, I was a Norths supporter before that because I remember my Dad saying to me, "Looks like you've got a good team this year." Favourite games - every time we win!!! I don't care who the opponent is or the margin, as long as we win. I hate Scumly Wankingah (homeground "Bogvale Oval"). Personally, I would love to see Bogvale turned into the world's largest public toilet block and would gladly queue up to use the facilities with pleasure. Love my beloved Bears. Norths IS rugby league and rugby league IS Norths. The game cannot survive without the mighty Bears. SAHCTMB (Stand Aside, Here Come The Mighty Bears).
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Northy, glad to have you with us.

Mark Graham was such a great player. Once of the toughest players to play the game, yet was blessed with great skill. Saw Mark Graham a couple of months ago, and he is still as fit as was during his playing days.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my earliest memories of a Bears game was that Wills Cup final in 1977. My family and I sat in the Ladies stand at the SCG and the Queen turned up at half-time.

We lost 13-9. I still remember my father saying we were robbed after 2 of Easts tries were off forward passes (according to him)
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwbea wrote:
..... the Queen turned up at half-time.

Who was she going for?
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently she took a liking to John Gray during the presentation, so I guess it was us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: