Who do you go for, Sir?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northy
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Who do you go for, Sir? Reply with quote

As a high school teacher I'm often asked who do I go for in the NRL. Students love playing hypotheticals and a conversation would go like this:

STUDENT: "Sir, who do you go for in the NRL?
ME: No one. I'm a Norths supporter.
S: Yeh, Sir, but if you could go for a team in the NRL, who would it be?
M: I told you, I don't go for anyone in the NRL. I'm a Norths supporter.
S: Yeh, but Sir, who do you like in the NRL?
M: I don't like anyone in the NRL. I keep telling you, I go for Norths.
S: But Sir, Norths don't exist anymore, so which team would you choose?
M: What do you mean by "Norths don't exist anymore"? I'll have you know that last week I was at North Sydney Oval and watched us play.
S: But that's not the NRL. It doesn't count. There must be a team you like in the NRL?
M: Listen to me. I am a lifelong Norths supporter. I cannot and will not go for any other team. This is called LOYALTY. You make a commitment to your team for life. You never quit and you never give up. I cannot and will not go for any other team. Just because we no longer play in the NRL doesn't mean that I have to stop supporting my team and choose another one that is in the NRL. You people just don't get it. The NRL is not the only rugby league competition in the world. There are other competitions made up of other clubs/teams who each have their own supporter groups who don't like the NRL or have anything to do with the NRL. Now get this straight - I am and always will be a Bears supporter. I was born a Bear and I will die a Bear. The only reason why rugby league is my favourite sport is because of the North Sydney Bears. No Norths, no interest in rugby league. I do not expect you to understand this. Furthermore, you call yourself a loyal supporter, yet when you lose you say things like "We're crap" or "We're a bunch of loses" or "We're shit". That's not loyalty. That's disloyal talk, rubbishing your team and insulting them. It's no wonder that with that attitude you cannot understand why I have remained loyal to my team all these years because it is clear by the way you talk about your team that you are fickle and disloyal.

Sadly, these types of conversations are common and it's not just the students who don't "get it"!

So, on that note, SAHCTMB and, YES, it is great to be a BEAR!!!
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always great to be asked which footy team I go for and be able to reply with North Sydney Bears.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then when they say, but what about NRL?, I say no one.

Even in a small way, it is important for people to know that the axing of long-standing sporting clubs disenfranchises loyal supporters, and loses them.
BearsFanDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have put it any better myself. So many people just don't understand loyalty. Very Happy
The Tamworth Bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it...we're the lucky ones....it's hard to describe to a non Bear the absolute lump in the throat/goosebumps/absolute pride feeling you get when you watch our Bears run out. I got the same goosebumps when we beat Wyong at Morry Breen Oval this year as I did when we were winning back in the ARL Winfield Cup days.

When they play Stand Aside at Bear Park even now as we run out, I look straight ahead....don't want my mates to see my watery eyes. It's a feeling you can't match.

It's great to be a Bear. Very Happy
chelseabree
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss is a REAL bears tragic. I had some kids and I got them to do a project on a footy club that does not play first grade anymore. A lot of the did North Sydney. He had them proudly displayed on his wall in the office.
northern bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear Ian Chappel's comments at the Matador Cup final when they showed a guy in a North Sydney Bears tracksuit and another on the hill with Bears jersey.

It went something like 'They made North Sydney merge with Manly - they hated each other. It lasted about two years ...Dunno who's bright idea that was?'

Sounded like something Gibbo might have said.
BLOB
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Mike Gibson surely.

He was a craven Murdoch employee who came out and publicly supported the merger as required by his master.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: