ISP Round 5 v Wests Tigers @ Chatswood, Sun 2nd Apr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: ISP Round 5 v Wests Tigers @ Chatswood, Sun 2nd Apr Reply with quote

I like the sense of history in this week's article about the coming weekend's game.

No indication (as yet) if the game is being broadcast. The NSWRL website only has the Foxtel details for the Newtown/Newcastle and NZ Warriors/Blacktown games.

South Sydney has named an eight man bench for its Friday night game against North Queensland:

14 Damien Cook; 15 Angus Crichton; 16 Zane Musgrove; 17 Robbie Rochow; 18 Sitiveni Moceidreke; 19 Anthony Cherrington; 20 Cameron Murray; and 21 Tyrell Fuimaono.

www.northsydneybears.com.au/north-sydney-bears-return-chatswood-oval-first-time-eighty-one-years

NORTH SYDNEY BEARS RETURN TO CHATSWOOD OVAL FOR THE FIRST TIME IN EIGHTY ONE YEARS

March 28, 2017 by Steve Little

It's been 81 years since top flight Rugby League has taken place at Chatswood Oval. However, all that changes this Sunday when the North Sydney Bears face the Wests Tigers in Round 5 of the Intrust Super Premiership at the historic ground.

Chatswood Oval has seen both big-time cricket, as well as Rugby League in its 117-year history.

The heyday of cricket for Chatswood Oval was up to the 1930s. Of note was Don Bradman's 201 runs in April 1932, including 28 fours and two sixes in 171 minutes. Local resident Victor Trumper played there and was a crowd favourite. The Trumper Pavilion was named in his honour.

However Rugby League's appearance was more truncated, Easts, Souths and Norths claimed Chatswood Oval as a home venue for five matches in the 1930s, possibly due to other grounds being unavailable at this time. Norths played in all five.

Date Home Away Crowd
1933 Jul 22nd Eastern Suburbs 20 North Sydney 5
1933 Aug 12th North Sydney 12 Balmain 12
1934 Jul 21st South Sydney 11 North Sydney 11
1935 May 4th South Sydney 10 North Sydney 17
1936 Aug 29th South Sydney 27 North Sydney 12 3,000

North Sydney will face the Wests Tigers at Chatswood Oval on Sunday 2nd of April at 3:00 pm.

NSW Rugby League Senior Representative Competition | Intrust Super Premiership Competition [Open Age]
Round Five | North Sydney Vs Wests Tigers |Chatswood Oval | 3:00 pm | 02/04/2017

1 Latrell Robinson
2 Dane Nielsen
3 Edward Murphy
4 Tyrell Fuimaono
5 Abbas Miski
6 Luke Kelly
7 Eli Levido
8 Toby Rudolf
9 Bradley Deitz (C)
10 Dave Tyrrell
11 Cameron Murray
12 Tautalatasi Tasi
13 Cheyne Whitelaw

Interchange
14 Piki Rogers
15 Clayton Williams
16 Jamel Hunt
17 Patrice Siolo

Coach: Ben Gardiner
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steele Sports will be calling the game on Sunday:

Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP Round 5 v Wests Tigers @ Chatswood, Sun 2nd Apr Reply with quote

Fintan O'Laighin wrote:
South Sydney has named an eight man bench for its Friday night game against North Queensland:

14 Damien Cook; 15 Angus Crichton; 16 Zane Musgrove; 17 Robbie Rochow; 18 Sitiveni Moceidreke; 19 Anthony Cherrington; 20 Cameron Murray; and 21 Tyrell Fuimaono.

Two players named in the Rabbitohs starting squad are now on the bench and vice versa, but Souths is playing nos. 1-16, plus 19 Anthony Cherrington.

The four players not used are 17 Robbie Rochow, 18 Sitiveni Moceidreke, 20 Cameron Murray and 21 Tyrell Fuimaono.

Murray and Fuimaono were both named in NS's squad on Tuesday, but we might get Rochow and Moceidreke for Sunday.
cnbhs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At match today - stand aside!
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnbhs wrote:

Great to have you with us at the game today. Shame the Bears could not come up with the victory.
cnbhs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good anyway bears4life - my three year old's 4th match. She is now one win (Manly last year at Bear Park) and three losses, but ran round with her cousins and had a great time.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a poor effort from the Bears yesterday, uninspiring and sloppy is how it's best described. A game we should have won but didn't deserve to, and didn't. The tone was set in the second minute when Latrell Robinson dropped a bomb. This foreshadowed what was to come - dropped balls, mistimed runs, turnovers in possession, attacking backlines that were so flat they looked liked defensive plays, getting tackled on the last, poor readings of the play which meant players going to ground rather than offload, and missed tackles. I was expecting a lot better from the Bears this week, particularly after last week's effort.

Having said that, NS could have won but for a couple of decisions. One time in our own quarter, we had an overlap and just as the ball found the unmarked player who would have raced the length of the field, the ref decided to penalise Wests Tigers for being offside. And with a minute to go, the ball got knocked back, picked by Tyrell Fuimaono who "scored" in the corner, only to have the ref rule it was a knock on. I had a pretty good view of that, and I thought that was a bad call. But we did not deserve to win.

Conditions were wet and slippery and Chatswood Oval has a few divots, but that's no excuse, they're professional footballers.

WT got the first try after 15 minutes and came after one of those turnovers in possession, quickly followed a step through the NS line and a 40 metre break. With only the fullback to beat, WT managed to get a player in support to take the pass but not a single NS player ran as hard to get there in defence. Very poor effort.

Abbas Miski almost scored in the corner in the 23rd minute but was pushed touch-in-goal. NS got back possession and looked to lose it near half way, only to have a WT player knock on. A scrum in good field position. Robbie Rochow made a good break but didn't seem to have the confidence that he had the speed to go himself. He was looking for some support that never came. However, Eli Levido did score on the next set, so 6-all at the 30 min mark. And that was the half time score. My view was that after a very slow start, NS had slightly the better of the first half.

NS started to look like it was getting the upper hand. WT dropped an Eli Levido bomb, giving NS a scrum just 10m out. Fuimaono was tackled just short, but the some quick passing along the backline saw Miski score in the corner. This was at the 52 min mark (the NSWRL match centre says 12 min, but it was 12 min of the second half). Levido missed the conversion, so it was 10-6 to the Bears.

NS went further ahead after 63 minutes but it was totally undeserved. A pretty ordinary Luke Kelly up and under went straight to the fullback - he didn't even have to move. And with no pressure on him, he allowed it to bounce and it bounced very nicely for Levido and toed it into the in-goal and scored under the posts. 16-6 to the Bears.

WT was denied a try shortly after. A player looked to have stepped through our defence but was dragged down just short of the line by a player who put in a tremendous effort to get there. Unfortunately, I didn't see who it was.

In the 66 min, WT got a try near the post following a crossfield kick into the in goal. It was a beauty of a try - the WT player had to dive to make the catch and it was a beautiful bit of athleticism. Still 16-12 to NS, but WT scored again in the 71st min after forcing a line drop out from nothing. They looked spent on the last tackle, but managed to get a very good grubber behind the NS defence. WT found a few holes in the NS line and scored to regain the lead 18-16.

We still had time but didn't use it. WT stepped up - they led Newtown for a lot of the game last week and weren't going to let their lead slip two weeks running.

Despite my criticism, there were good things about NS's play. At times, we were more creative in attack than in the other game I'd seen (the TV game in round 2). There was some good backing up, and keeping the ball alive. Execution let us down at times, such as the "harbour bridge" pass that sailed over the touchline, but it was good vision to see the opening. Levido's kicking game was generally good, he found space and turned the defenders around. I don't know if he's clicked with Kelly though, they didn't seem to work that well together. And I love the way Miski plays - good work rate, creative.

It was good to see a banner on a fence near Chatswood shops promoting the game. It was a reasonable sized crowd, a few hundred. Very few WT fans to be seen, however, but a few more probably would have made the trip had the WT NRL side not been playing at the same time. Nice to see the kids from many of the NS junior clubs playing before the game and at half time.

There were a few changes to the named team:
18 Robbie Rochow went into the starting line up in place of 8 Toby Rudolf who went to the bench.
19 FJ Mauala got added to the bench (and played the last 10 mins) in place of 16 Clayton Williams
And 16 Jamel Hunt was 18th man (I saw his number in the warm up)

cnbhs wrote:

I'm sorry I missed you - I saw you walk past a few rows in front, but I couldn't hang around after the game as I had to get back to Eddy Avenue straight after the game to get a bus back to Canberra.
cnbhs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan - no dramas - i had the luxury of coming back to Canberra today.
Bearhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan - good to run into you on the way out. Been a while.

Good summary of the match I thought.

Will add a few bits and pieces:

Chatswood Oval - excellent choice for a non-Bear Park match. I thought it was a really nice venue to watch some footy and in the sun on a sunny arvo, would have been fabulous. Ground seemed in good nick, although there is a distinct uphill run towards the southern end - it was really noticeable walking back around to our vantage point down there.

Match - first observation I had was how well / intense the Bears warm-up was, compared to the Tigers, whom seemed far more relaxed. You would have thought the table positions were reversed.

So Bears (4-0) vs Tigers (0-4). 54 points conceded vs 156 conceded.

The Tigers came out firing and you knew early on the Bears had a game on their hands. Fintan described the plays well enough so won't go through again but from about the 25th minute until half-time, you could sense the Bears were in control - albeit without scoring....when probably they should have. HT turned into a negative for the Bears, as it zapped that dominance you felt was there. The Tigers hung in there, and it proved match winning.

I have no doubt if we scored before half-time we would have won it.

Tigers had so much purpose to their footy in the 2nd stanza, whilst the Bears played as they expected to come out on top. Creativity seemed to go out the window and it was very much one-out stuff, easily read by the Tigers defence.

The Bears scored two tries - but lets face it - both were through Tigers errors. At 16-6 with 15 to go, the Bears lobbed the cue into the rack. It was very noticeable. When the Tigers got it to 12-16, it was so evident where the momentum was....and it wasn't with the Bears. They made errors under pressure, lacked tactical nous on final tackles and in the end, it was too much for them.

I have no doubt the coach Ben Gardiner will be glad in a way they had this loss, as there are some really big games coming up and there needs to be a significant improvement.

PLAYERS / STRUCTURE

To really figure in this competition, you need a high quality halves combo. Eli LEVIDO is a clever footballer but still seems a shade off HB's we have had in the past - Darren Nicholls / Ryan Carr etc. However I think he is trying too hard as a few matches I have seen, he has thrown some really poor passes and a HB cannot do that. He threw about 3 of those that ended up on the ground yesterday.

I think Levido is hamstrung, as he seems to have a very robotic Luke KELLY outside him. Kelly has played 48 NRL matches, but I have yet to see any NRL standard play from him so far. I would expect a player of his history to spark a few more things than he has. Ultimately, we rely on a strong halves combo and yes there are some good things but there are some not so good things. Hopefully they improve as a combo, as I reckon Levido will explode once more of the creative burden is taken on by Kelly.

FORWARDS:

I thought TASI was our best forward early on, made some fabulous metres, especially when we were stuck near our own line. I don't remember seeing too much of him in the 2nd half if any? Cameron MURRAY was outstanding. He pulled off a try-saver near the end that was simply stunning. He stopped his guy dead. He has a big work-rate, some of his defence was excellent. Really liked what I have seen of this kid so far. Reminds me a bit of a smaller version of Kyle Turner - same kind of work ethic. TYRELL hit it up straight which was good, too many of our forwards ended up lateral at times. He is a workhorse.

ROCHOW made one really good bust but butchered a certain try. He then made a very poor error that if my memory serves me correctly, led directly to a Tigers try? Went missing when we needed to be making big late yards up the fringe which was disappointing. I have read and heard a fair bit about DEITZ - he wasn't great against Newcastle, I didn't see him standing out yesterday, so hard to say. WHITELAW goes hard, which is good.

In the backs - MURPHY and FUIMAONO were solid, the latter looks a real handful at times. Would love to see him the go-to man more. He is so strong, he can make yards. ROBINSON did make one significant error and I thought he was badly out of position for Hunt's try to make it 12-16, but he has a real element of Peachey about him. He took a half-volley on the fly with ease and he is a kind of heart-in-your-mouth kind of fullback. Definitely has the talent......if he continues to improve, he will be a weapon come semi-finals time. NIELSEN was ok, no doubt the one time State Of Origin player and Premiership winner's career highlight is playing right where he is now - with the Bears. Made some good runs, but he too for all his experience would love to see more of him with set pieces using him through the middle on an angle.

For mine, the Bears player of the match with the other winger - ABBAS MISKI. Gee I like the look of this bloke. He is the spitting image of Josh Mansour, so his nickname is easy....'JOSH'. I can vivdly remember Mansour playing for the Bears as a fullback, and Miski has him at the same stage. The Tigers peppered Miski's wing constantly with bombs and kicks, every single time Miski dealt with it well. He made several excellent runs - especially defensive runs to get us out of our own 10m line, and was very involved. Scored a good try, and his defence was very solid. With Modreicecke to come back in, it will mean Miski misses out most likely, and you don't tend to carry wingers on the bench, but this bloke has got it. Big, strong, runs hard, solid.

I hope to see a lot more of MISKI in Bears colours this season.

Ultimately we lost a winnable game, but this competition is so tight this season. I watched a fair bit of the Warriors / Blacktown match on Fox at the pub, and had they had a smidgen of direction in their play, Blacktown would have beaten them. Any team can beat each other on the day, so the key is to chalk up the wins against the teams you really should beat. I did think Wests Tigers played very well.

The other shame about yesterday was there were many who came out of the woodwork for the game, getting off to a winning note at 'home' is important - and doubly important in a week or so's time vs Wyong at Bear Park. They are a very good side, and we need to be on our game to beat them.

Also was great to see Dave Perry back in Bears colours. He should do a 'night with Dave - running the enemy' so he can tell us his exploits when running those, those....you know, that filth from the beaches.....

Anyway - season well and truly on.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a decent attendance at Chatswood. It seams like a better crowd turned up than in previous years at TG Milner. It was great to see that the club had promoted it strongly throughout Chatswood.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The match report is posted on the NSWRL website (see link below).

Also, an on-demand video of the game is at www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/04/06/on_demand_north_sydn.html, featuring commentary from the Triple H call. I haven't watched it yet, but will do so (even if it is a game that I'd rather forget).

www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/04/02/tigers_score_upset_w.html

Tigers Score Upset Win Over Bears
Tony Dosen, Triple H 100.1 FM

Sun 2nd April, 05:45PM

A Joel Edwards try with seven minutes left has propelled the Wests Tigers to an upset 18-16 win over the North Sydney Bears in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW match played at Chatswood Oval this afternoon.

Coming from 16-6 down with 15 minutes to play, the Tigers showed great determination to score their first win for the Intrust Super Premiership NSW win – and send the Bears crashing to their first season loss.

In a tight and tough opening period, the Tigers showed that they meant business when hooker Jacob Liddle burst clear from dummy half in the 17th minute from half way to send five-eighth Justin Hunt away for his first try under the posts. Jordan Rankin converted for a 6-0 Tigers lead.

The Bears then worked their way into field position for former Melbourne Storm and Newcastle Knights prop Robbie Rochow to step into the clear 13 minutes later, before being brought down close to the Tigers’ line.

Bears halfback Eli Levido then darted past the backpedalling Tigers defence to score on the next tackle. Levido converted his own try to level scores up at 6-6.

The scores remained level at half-time despite both sides having half chances late in the first half.

As both sides probed for the opening as the arm wrestle continued through the middle to start the second half, the Bears took full advantage from two Tigers errors – both from kicks – to take the lead.

First, Tigers winger Luke Garner dropped a high Luke Kelly midfield bomb 14 minutes into the second half to give the Bears a scrum feed and field position from close range.

Bears winger Abbas Miski finished a neat left sided short side move at the end of the set from the scrum to score in the corner and give the Bears the lead at 10-6.

Nine minutes later, Tigers fullback Watson Heleta made a terrible mess of misjudging another Kelly midfield bomb.

Heleta allowed the ball to bounce instead of taking the spiralling kick on the full; Levido pounced on the bouncing ball coming through on the chase and toed the ball ahead to the in-goal area to score his second try under the posts.

Levido converted his own try and the Bears almost looked home with a 16-6 lead.

The Tigers, however, were not to be denied.

Forcing a Bears mistake with 12 minutes left, the Tigers got sufficient field position for halfback Rankin to send a cross field kick on the last tackle of the next set for Hunt to make a spectacular leap and mid-air catch on the full to dive over for his second try.

Ranking converted to set up the grandstand finish at 16-12 as the match entered the last 10 minutes.

With seven minutes left, a left sided move late in the tackle count saw Hunt break clear and time his pass beautifully for Edwards to crash over and score. Rankin nailed the conversion and the Tigers were back in front.

The Tigers defence then just held on in a frenetic closing five minutes in the face of waves of late North attack inside the Tigers 20 metre area to clinch their first win of the season.

The Tigers will now face up to Mounties at Leichhardt Oval next Saturday, while the Bears have to pick themselves up for a meeting with Canterbury-Bankstown at Belmore Sports Ground next Saturday.
cnbhs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girvie wrote:
There was a decent attendance at Chatswood. It seams like a better crowd turned up than in previous years at TG Milner. It was great to see that the club had promoted it strongly throughout Chatswood.

Agreed Girvie, a good crowd considering the weather - and as Chatswood 'born and bred' good to see a match there - even if Gordon's ground!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: