Bears/Souths players named for RLWC 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Bears/Souths players named for RLWC 2017 Reply with quote

Following players have been mentioned thusfar.

Adam Doueihi (Lebanon)
Robbie Farah (Lebanon)
Abbas Miski (Lebanon)
Sitiveni Moceidreke (Fiji)
Zane Musgrove (Samoa)
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see Abbas Miski named as the starting winger for Lebanon.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Adam Doueihi and Abbas Miski have both put in good performances in the first two games for Lebanon. Doueihi has played with a lot of confidence, particularly in tonight's game against England. He wasn't even supposed to play against France last week, but Chris Saab was concussed during the warm up. Doueihi scored a good try last week. I don't think we'll see much of him next year, He might start the season with Norths, but I reckon he'll force his way into first grade before the season is too many games old. Miski played like he plays for Norths - lots of solid runs from dummy half in the defensive quarter. North Sydney will benefit from his involvement with the Cedars, playing alongside the likes of Robbie Farah, Mitchell Moses, Travis Robinson and Tim Mannah among others, and being coached by Brad Fittler. They play Australia in Sydney next Saturday and are likely to play New Zealand in Wellington in the quarter final the Saturday after.

Unfortunately I didn't get to Canberra Stadium last week to see them live. The Lebanon-France game clashed with the Ireland-Italy game which I wanted to see, so I watched the replay on television. I did get to last night's game between France and Australia and am going to next Friday's game between Fiji and Italy. I like the world cup, I think it's a great tournament.
Bearhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so thrilled for ABBAS MISKI not only making the Lebanese team, but also standing up on the biggest stage.

The irony about tonights game - he marks Josh Mansour...below was my summary of the game vs the Tigers @ Chatswood oval early in the season.

Go ABBAS!!

Bearhead wrote:
For mine, the Bears player of the match with the other winger - ABBAS MISKI. Gee I like the look of this bloke. He is the spitting image of Josh Mansour, so his nickname is easy....'JOSH'. I can vivdly remember Mansour playing for the Bears as a fullback, and Miski has him at the same stage. The Tigers peppered Miski's wing constantly with bombs and kicks, every single time Miski dealt with it well. He made several excellent runs - especially defensive runs to get us out of our own 10m line, and was very involved. Scored a good try, and his defence was very solid. With Modreicecke to come back in, it will mean Miski misses out most likely, and you don't tend to carry wingers on the bench, but this bloke has got it. Big, strong, runs hard, solid.

I hope to see a lot more of MISKI in Bears colours this season.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments about Miski were very prescient Bearhead, He was a great asset for Norths during the season, I loved watching him play. He got my players' player vote. It'll be an interesting match up tonight.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. I'm not expecting Lebanon to win (who is?) but I think it'll be entertaining.
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearhead wrote:
I am so thrilled for ABBAS MISKI not only making the Lebanese team, but also standing up on the biggest stage.

The irony about tonights game - he marks Josh Mansour...

Hahaha. This'll be confusing.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good article in the paper about Miski. It mentions an NRL club has shown interest.

https://t.co/kIUAlfA0dV?amp=1

Abbas Miski will oppose lookalike winger Josh Mansour when Australia take on Lebanon

IS it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s Josh Mansour … or is it?

For as long as he can remember, or for as long as he has sported a beard, Cedars winger Abbas Miski has been mistaken for Mansour.

They are pretty much the same person. It’s been said that Miski looks more like Josh Mansour than Josh Mansour himself.

They’re both Australian.

They’re both Lebanese.

They both play on the wing.

Then of course there’s the beard.

The beard that has forced Miski to patiently pose as Mansour when fans approach him in the street wanting a photo with who they think is the Panthers winger.

And that same beard will leave fans doing a double take on Saturday night when the two wingers go head-to-head in Lebanon’s clash against Australia.

Initially named on the left edge, Miski has been shifted to the right wing, setting up a contest that will no doubt provide endless fodder for the rugby league meme makers of the world.

The 22-year-old says his upcoming battle with the Kangaroos winger will be a surreal experience and not only because of their uncanny resemblance but also because he models his playing style on Mansour’s game.

“I don’t know how to feel actually. It’s a bit weird. There’s always been the comparison between Josh and I and coming into the World Cup a couple of months ago I actually thought we might be playing together for Lebanon,” Miski said.

“Until last week I didn’t think we would ever be playing against each other but this week it’s shaping up that we’ll be on the same side.

“We’ll be versing each other. It’s awesome, I look up to him and base a lot of my game around him.

“We sort of have the same build and same attributes.

“He’s really good at getting his team out of trouble, running hard and getting quick play the balls and that’s something I base my game around as well.”

Lebanon coach Brad Fittler believes his young winger is one of a number of players in his side who will attract the attention of NRL clubs.

Miski, who plies his trade with the North Sydney Bears in the NSW Cup, already has the attention of one NRL club and a strong performance on Saturday night will no doubt help his cause.

The World Cup has not only been a chance for the likes of Miski to audition in front of potential suitors but an invaluable opportunity to learn from and play against some of the best players in the game.

“I was talking to one of the boys about it the other day. You get better when you play against teams and players better than you,” he said.

“There’s no better challenge than the World Cup.

“When we played against England last week, we got beaten, but I thought I had a pretty good game and as a team we learnt a lot.

“That’s been the biggest thing from this camp.

“I’m learning a lot every week through Brad [Fittler] and Luke Burt and some of the more experienced boys.

“No matter what happens in this tournament I know I’m going to come out next season as a better player.”
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebanese backrower Chris Saab played Premier League for the Bears back in 2006. James Maloney was in the same team when he was called up from our Jersey Flegg team.
kjwbea
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if it was the same Chris Saab. Great achievement to play international rugby league 11 years later!
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great performances by Abbas Miski and Adam Doueihi today when Lebanon went down 24-22 to Tonga.

Miski had a fantastic game, scoring two tries, making many strong runs, and very safe fielding kicks at the back. I have no doubt he will be signing an NRL contract after that performance.

Doueihi was also brilliant, with some great attacking runs, scored a good try and had another controversially disallowed for an obstruction, which would have given Lebanon the lead.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/11/19/06/54/nrl-news-the-mole-reveals-penrith-panthers-new-signing

The Mole: Abbas Miski set to join Penrith Panthers

Lebanese cult hero Abbas Miski could be set to join his lookalike Josh Mansour at Penrith next season.

Miski, the bearded wing flyer who scored two tries in the narrow 24-22 loss to Tonga on the weekend, has been one of the players to really catch the eye in the World Cup.

And the North Sydney Bears winger has attracted the attention of several NRL clubs, with Penrith leading the way.

I’m hearing the Panthers are set to offer 22-year-old Miski, who played the past couple of seasons with South Sydney’s NSW Cup feeder club Norths, a 16-week train-and-trial contract.

Miski had verbally agreed to a contract with fellow NSW Cup team Wentworthville, but didn’t sign a formal contract and is free to join the Panthers.

Miski scored a hat trick in the Phoenician Cup against Malta earlier this season and has been a tower of strength in the fledgling Lebanon team in the World Cup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: