Souths to cut Bears adrift at end of the 2019 season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearhead
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Souths to cut Bears adrift at end of the 2019 season Reply with quote

I have just seen on social media that Souths plan to run a ISP side in 2020 as well as their own Jersey Flegg team in the same year, meaning the long running relationship will be over.

It is social media so I would like to see it confirmed.

If it is confirmed I think it is good - time to sink or swim. 10 years ago there seemed a lot more North Sydney autonomy in the relationship that has only gone one way since. It seems the back half of every season became a testing ground for Souths signed players, as opposed to trying to achieve what we wanted them to achieve - success / win the competition.

So where to now for the Bears? There is the possibility to link up with another NRL Club (note Wyong cutting the Roosters adrift) but maybe now the hand will be forced, we have to see if the Bears can cut it as a NSW Cup / ISP outfit where the deal is a bit more on the Bears terms.

This of course might not be possible at all and we might be consigned to the Ron Massey Cup. If that is the case, then so be it.

Now we have to be resigned to the fact of watching a red and black team which is a rabbitoh doormat, try and form some sort of affinity with a bunch we know nothing about, and jump up and down and go 'yay' Evil or Very Mad

Where to from here?
siv
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe non NRL clubs should break away from.a NRL feeder mode

Tell NRL clubs to run you own reeserve grade

Then allow NSW Cup to operate on equal terms with the other clubs like Norths Newtown Wests Wenty Mt Pritchard Blacktown etc

Maybe even ask NSW Country divisions to join

And have stronger RM Clubs like St Marys and Glebe join
derekf
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siv wrote:
Maybe non NRL clubs should break away from.a NRL feeder mode

Tell NRL clubs to run you own reeserve grade

Then allow NSW Cup to operate on equal terms with the other clubs like Norths Newtown Wests Wenty Mt Pritchard Blacktown etc

Maybe even ask NSW Country divisions to join

And have stronger RM Clubs like St Marys and Glebe join

There's real merit in this idea. If a competition of this nature could attract reasonable sponsorship and tv rights of some kind, it may be financially viable. It's pretty clear Souths don't value their relationship with us, and this is probably true of most of the NRL feeder club arrangements.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRL clubs enter into feeder club arrangements because it suits them. They're not there to do the feeder club any favours. Feeder clubs benefit from having access to the higher quality players, but also have the disadvantage of having unstable squads, including the disruption to the team arising from players being taken away or added at the last minute. I feel for North Sydney players who have to make way for last minute additions from the NRL, particularly when the NRL-level players don't perform because they get all sulky at having been dropped. This is just a general comment, and not targeted at any current players (although I can think of some in the past I'd say it about).

The country divisions won't put teams into a full-season competition. Country clubs are struggling enough as it is without having their best players taken from them for what in effect would be a permanent representative side. While country-based players regularly travel long distances, Sydney-based players (particularly part-timers) won't want to travel all over NSW to play football. I coached a Canberra-based side for a while and it was hard enough to get players to travel to Cooma and Goulburn once a season. It was a much lower level of football, but I reckon it would be the same result.
Bears4Life
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan O'Laighin wrote:
NRL clubs enter into feeder club arrangements because it suits them. They're not there to do the feeder club any favours. Feeder clubs benefit from having access to the higher quality players, but also have the disadvantage of having unstable squads, including the disruption to the team arising from players being taken away or added at the last minute. I feel for North Sydney players who have to make way for last minute additions from the NRL, particularly when the NRL-level players don't perform because they get all sulky at having been dropped. This is just a general comment, and not targeted at any current players (although I can think of some in the past I'd say it about).

The country divisions won't put teams into a full-season competition. Country clubs are struggling enough as it is without having their best players taken from them for what in effect would be a permanent representative side. While country-based players regularly travel long distances, Sydney-based players (particularly part-timers) won't want to travel all over NSW to play football. I coached a Canberra-based side for a while and it was hard enough to get players to travel to Cooma and Goulburn once a season. It was a much lower level of football, but I reckon it would be the same result.

I pretty much agree with everything which Fintan is saying.

There are pros and cons with feeder club arrangements. Though I reckon that Norths have one of the worst arrangements. So much depends on the NRL club's philosophy with roster management. Souths have a development nature with younger players outside their main top 25 players. Where as other clubs have more experienced players. Also depends on how much money passes hands from the feeder club to the NRL club (Norths pay more to Souths than any other feeder club). And the availability of players to the feeder club (and based on history Souths hold back more players than any other feeder club, particularly when it is finals time). In saying that, if Norths did not have a feeder club, and had to be stand alone, we would be totally uncompetitive, and would struggle to win a game.

Most country divisions would not want to not want to play in NSW Cup. The country is losing teams and to have a number of their best players play in NSW Cup would decimate the country divisions.
northern bear
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and Fintan are absolutely correct about Country Rugby League. Its dying a slow death and no one seems to care. Group 2 on the Far North Coast, will have a seven team competition this year (down from nine last season) and it seems only five teams will have an under 18's side.

The old Group One /Group 18 competition will have 12 sides with 4/5 teams NOT fielding 18's. This comp is right on the Titans doorstep. As Fintan says you travel 100 kms to an away game and you don't know who will turn up to play and who won't.

It is interesting that Souths takes more from Norths than other clubs that use feeders. Madge was never generous with what he left us with, and this season does not appear to be any better.

The draw doesn't help either in what days and times Souths and Norths play in their respective competitions. It seems absurd that our Jersey Flegg team had to play the Panthers twice in the first four rounds both times at Penrith Park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: