Women's National Championships, 30th May to 2nd June 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Women's National Championships, 30th May to 2nd June 2019 Reply with quote

Four North Sydney Bears players have been named in the squads for the Women's National Championships, three for NSW City - Shontelle Stowers, Shanice Parker and Aliti Namoce - and one for NSW Country - Kirra Dibb. Given that we're undefeated at the top of the table, I thought we might have had some more.

The championships are being played in Burleigh on the Gold Coast, from Thursday 30th May to Sunday 2nd June. Six teams will be competing - the other four are Queensland Country, South East Queensland, Combined Affiliated States and Australian Defence Force.

The article with the line-ups for each squad is below. It doesn't say what clubs players are from, so hopefully I haven't missed any Bears.

www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/05/23/line-ups-named-for-womens-national-championships

Line-ups named for Women's National Championships
Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter
Wed 22 May 2019, 08:01 PM

NSW Country will be chasing back-to-back titles at the 2019 Harvey Norman Women's National Championships in Burleigh from May 30 with future representative honours on the line across the four-day tournament.

Six teams will compete at the championships with NSW fielding Country and City sides, while Queensland have named a Country side and South East Queensland team.

An Affiliated States side and Australian Defence Force team will also return with a host of up-and-coming talent representing areas from across the country.

The tournament acts as a major selection process for upcoming Origin selection, while representatives from NRLW clubs are also expected to scout for talent with contracts possibly offered for the competition in September.

NSW Country beat NSW City in last year's championship final 16-12 to be crowned 2018 champions.

The inaugural championships saw the likes of Julia Robinson, Hannah Southwell and Holli Wheeler evolve into international players with the Australian Jillaroos by season's end.

"It was a fun week last year to be able to represent Country and we're really determined to make in two in a row," NSW Country back-rower Kezie Apps told NRL.com.

"You play with girls you wouldn't usually play with or against. To see some of the girls develop and represent their country later in the year shows that this tournament is a real chance to shine and take that next opportunity."

NSW Country boasts several big names including Apps and Ruan Sims but the team will be without Isabelle Kelly with the star centre sidelined with a knee injury.

Country representatives Sam Bremner and Nakia Davis Welsh and City representative Taleena Simon have all announced their pregnancies in recent months and are also not available.

Queensland's SEQ side (formerly City) is led by Broncos halfback Ali Brigginshaw and features the likes of Roosters trio Karina Brown, Zahara Temara and Tazmin Gray.

Kiwi Ferns forward Maitua Feterika and former New Zealand international Rona Peters are also included but cannot be considered for Maroons selection under the game's new eligibility rule.

The ADF side will be guided by Jillaroos players Meg Ward and Talesha Quinn for a consecutive season but the squad will be disappointed by the withdrawal of Robinson, who is sidelined for the remainder of the year following leg and ankle surgery.

Harvey Norman Women's National Championships
Dates: May 30 to June 2, 2019

Draw
Pool 1: South East Queensland (SEQ), NSW City, Combined Affiliated States (CAS)
Pool 2: Queensland Country, NSW Country, Australian Defence Force (ADF)

Day 1 - Thursday May 30
12.00pm - CAS v NSW City
1.15pm - ADF v NSW Country

Day 2 - Friday May 31
12.00pm - CAS v SEQ
1.15pm - ADF v QLD Country

Day 3 - Saturday June 1
12.00pm - SEQ v NSW City
1.45pm - QLD Country v NSW Country

Day 4 - Sunday June 2
10.30am - Third (Pool A) v Third (Pool B)
12.00pm - Second (Pool A) v Second (Pool B)
1.45pm - First (Pool A) v First (Pool B)

Teams
NSW Country: Kezie Apps, Keeley Davis, Kirra Dibb, Vanessa Foliaki, Emma Hickey, Kylie Hilder, Rikeya Horne, Melanie Howard, Ellie Johnston, Takilele Katoa, Bobbi Law, Shellie Long, Kaitlyn Phillips, Ruan Sims, Simone Smith, Hannah Southwell, Tess Staines, Gabrielle Suckling, Shakiah Tungai, Holli Wheeler, Bec Young.

NSW City: Corban McGregor, Kiara Takairangi, Shontelle Stowers, Jessica Sergis, Tiana Penitani, Quincy Dodd, Maddie Studdon, Elianna Walton, Rebecca Riley, Teina Clarke, Montana Fonua, Sarah Togatuki, Simaima Taufa, Aaliyah Faamausili, Najvada George, Christine Pauli, Karla Cowan, Shaylee Bent, Kate Mullaly, Shanice Parker, Botille Vette-Walsh, Tommaya Kelly-Sines, Aliti Namoce, Christian Pio.

Queensland Country: Chelsea Baker, Rhiannon Revell-Blair, Elle Stitt, Zeah Lane, Romy Teitzel, Tamika Upton, Jenni-Sue Hoepper, Heather Ballinger, Brittany Breayley, Steph Hancock, Steph Mooka, Annette Brander, Brianna Clarke, Lana Sheedy, Riutoto Te Hiko, Deb Barchard, Layla Fauid, Mariah Storch, Shania Power, Rangimarie Bruce, Angela Solomon, Leaticia Perkins, Reeghyn Beardmore, Kody House.

South East Queensland: Tarryn Aiken, Tyler Birch, Millie Boyle, Ali Brigginshaw, Karina Brown, Jessika Elliston, Maitua Feterika, Tazmin Gray, Tallisha Harden, Jasmin Kemp, Chelsea Lenarduzzi, Taimane Levu, Taylor-Adeline Mapusua, Tanika Marshall, Laken Paitai, Kelsey Parkin, Rona Peters, Amber Pilley, Zahara Temara, Amy Turner, Rosemary Vaimili Toalepai.

Combined Affiliated States: Keisha Marshall, Latoniya Norris, Cherysh Leaf, Ngahuia Blair, Kirsty Cooper, Kailey Thompson, Te Aroha Hapuku, Oneata Schwalger, Melody Wehipeihana, Lucy Cuppari, Mary Makai, Hayley Carstairs, Melissa Thomas, Jean Shannel Robati, Tasia Seumanufagai, Danyel Davan, Fa'atulia Pula, Lyric Ngapera, Jayne Kareroa, Juraea Turner, Layna Nona Busch.

Australian Defence Force: Meg Ward, Michelle Vocea, Debra Toby, Nicola Emsley, Danielle Close, Shannon Evans, Nicole Hall, Morgan Higgins, Ebony Allsopp, Talesha Quinn, Maddie Burton, Danielle Cahill, Alex Foltyn, Kirsten Wilson, Stephanie Kopp, Christine Fine, Betty Latumahina, Almareve Ara, Karri Thomas, Sophie Thompson.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Women's National Championships, 30th May to 2nd June 201 Reply with quote

Fintan O'Laighin wrote:
Four North Sydney Bears players have been named in the squads for the Women's National Championships, three for NSW City - Shontelle Stowers, Shanice Parker and Aliti Namoce - and one for NSW Country - Kirra Dibb. Given that we're undefeated at the top of the table, I thought we might have had some more.

The 4 players picked are all very deserving. Hopefully all four go on to represent the Blues.

Our hooker Nita Maynard played Origin for the Blues last year but is also a Kiwi international. They have brought in a rule this year that you can not play Origin and for the Kiwis, same as the men's.

One of our other star players Teuila Fotu-Moala is also a Kiwi international.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first three days of the National Women's Championships have been completed, and the finals are on Sunday.

North Sydney's four players have played both games for their respective teams:

NSW CITY
CENTRE - Shontelle STOWERS
FIVE-EIGHTH - Shanice PARKER
INTERCHANGE - Aliti NAMOCE SAGANO

NSW COUNTRY
HALFBACK - Kirra DIBB

The results are below, followed by the schedule for tomorrow's three games which will be played at Pizzey Park on the Gold Coast.

Pool A
Combined Affiliated States 0 lost to NSW City 46
Combined Affiliated States 0 lost to South East Queensland 44
South East Queensland 18 lost to NSW City 22 (one try to Shanice PARKER - see report at www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/06/01/nsw-city-win-a-tight-one-to-earn-grand-final-spot - the winning try was scored with only four minutes left)

Pool B
Australian Defence Force 0 lost to NSW Country 54 (five conversions to Kirra DIBB)
Australian Defence Force 0 lost to Queensland Country 40
Queensland Country 14 lost to NSW Country 29 (one conversion to Kirra DIBB)

Finals
10:30AM - Combined Affiliated States (Third Pool A) v Australian Defence Force (Third Pool B)
12:00PM - South East Queensland (Second Pool A) v Queensland Country (Second Pool B)
1:45PM - NSW City (First Pool A) v NSW Country (First Pool B)

Coverage through the NSWRL website has been pretty good, including all games having been broadcast online. The video is still available. The final two matches will also be broadcast on Fox League - www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/foxleague.

On a championship-related point, North Sydney's Alita Namoce is featured in an article at www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/05/30/nine-debutants-named-in-nsw-womens-city-origin-team.

Nine debutants named in NSW Womens City Origin team
NSWRL
Thu 30 May 2019, 10:23 AM

North Sydney's Aliti Nomace is enjoying the ride of her life as she re-engages with Rugby League and finds herself with her first representative jumper as part of the NSW City Origin team for the 2019 Harvey Norman Women's Championships.

The four-day tournament kicks off on Thursday at Pizzey Park in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast and 21-year-old Nomace is making her debut for City.

Coach Steve Kelly has named nine debutants in his 17-woman squad for NSW City's opening game against Combined Affiliated States (CAS) on Thursday.

And one of the new faces is Nomace, who will line-up in the front row with fellow prop Eli Walton (Canterbury) and hooker Karla Cowan (Cronulla).

"It was a big factor for us this year to start looking at the new girls coming through," Kelly told nswrl.com.

"The Harvey Norman competition in Sydney has really provided a great platform for this team, because they're playing quality football week-in week-out.

"And these girls have forced their way into the squad from performing so well at club level."

Nomace played rugby league at Seven Hills High School in Years 7 and 8 but when it came to staying with the sport when she graduated, there were not many opportunities open to her.

"I wanted to continue with it but there didn't seem a smooth path for me, so I kind of gave up - until now," she said.

"I've also put on a bit more weight so it's the forward for me. I used to be in the backline at school."

In between, Nomace took up competitive powerlifting but suffered a few injuries so when a mutual friend from the Bears contacted her about rugby league for the 2019 season, she jumped.

"I was thinking about Windsor Wolves," Nomace said.

"I hadn't played since high school so I thought it would be better to get into a club in the Harvey Norman competition. So that's why I joined the Bears.

"So, it's been challenging mentally to do all this in one season. I don't know if I've really stopped to soak it all in but I'm just enjoying being back.

"I love playing this sport and the other stuff that comes with it is great. You get to travel and meet new people and learn so much."

Kelly said his team was ready for CAS - kick-off at 12pm.

"The girls are from all over Australia," Kelly said.

"So, it's a big mix of talent, but one thing I do know about them is that they're not going away. They will keep coming at us.

"But we're ready. If we stick to our structures, we'll be right."

NSW Women's City Origin: 1 Botille Vette-Welsh (Wests Tigers), 2 Tiana Takairangi (Cronulla), 3 Corbin McGregor (Cronulla) 4 Riana Penitani (Cronulla), 5 Kate Mullaly (Cronulla), 6 Quincy Dodd (Cronulla), 7 Maddie Studdon (Cronulla), 8 Eli Walton (Canterbury), 9 Karla Cowan (Cronulla), 10 Aliti Namoce, 11 Shaylee Bent (Mounties), 12 Sarah Togatuki (Mounties), 13 Aaliyah Faamausili (Wentworthville). Interchange: 14 Tommaya Kelly-Sines (Mounties), 15 Christian Pio (St Marys), 16 Christine Pauli (Mounties), 17 Najvada George (Wests Tigers). 18th player: Montana Fonua (Mounties)
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSW City had a big win over NSW Country in the final - 34 to 4. Only two members of the North Sydney contingent played - Shontelle Stowers for City and Kirra Dibb for Country.

I don't know what happened to the broadcast through the NSWRL website, although a note on the QRL website that I subsequently read said it would only be available through Fox Sports.

The results of the other games were:

Combined Affiliated States 10 df Australian Defence Force 4
South East Queensland 16 drew with Queensland Country 16

The tournament was a selection trial for the Women's State of Origin game that will be played at North Sydney Oval on Friday 21st June.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: Upcoming Events All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: